joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:29 pm
@dyslexia,
You're not "repressing" those memories, you're simply not bringing them to mind. There's a profound difference there. "Repressed memory" is a pseudo-psychological concept that involves the unconscious sublimation of disturbing memories. It's a whole lot different than willing forgetfulness.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:35 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

You're not "repressing" those memories, you're simply not bringing them to mind. There's a profound difference there. "Repressed memory" is a pseudo-psychological concept that involves the unconscious sublimation of disturbing memories. It's a whole lot different than willing forgetfulness.
well that might be true joe but to me there is little difference between "repressing" and "forgetting" as the memories just don't seem to exist in my mind at all. The memories that I simply don't bring to mind are the same ones that I remember but only as someone else, a third party so to say. I remember but only like watching a movie of some actor. (not easy to describe)
Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:39 pm
@dyslexia,
no, I get what you are saying. I do it to.

All of the emotion has been sucked out, but I still review the old films once in a while. for various reasons...
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:04 am
Interesting topic, dyslexia. The advantage to ignoring bad memories is that you don't allow a past incident to describe you as a person.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:13 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
she asked me why I didn't have PTSD

one good reason is that it's an incredibly over-referenced diagnosis
dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:14 am
@ehBeth,
yes I believe that. In fact Ive never known anyone I served with in combat that claimed or even hinted that they had PTSD.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:49 am
@dyslexia,
I've known civilians with PTSD as a result of a traumatic experience e.g. being mugged or physically abused. No vets that I can remember. But, like you, dys, I tend not to dwell on unpleasantnesses. Is that repressing? I dunno. I treat most pop psych as utter balderdash.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:59 am
@Merry Andrew,
It's a legitimate diagnosis. However, there are comparatively few people who actually qualify to meet the DSM criteria. Kinda like ADD - a bit too popular.
Letty

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 11:06 am
@ehBeth,
I'm with you on the ADD, Beth. Exactly how do all of you define pop/pseudo psychology?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:55 am
@dyslexia,
Well... I guess maybe it just depends on the person and the situation. Some things don't necessarily need to be recalled, but I believe there are some things that can have a subconscious effect on our current actions and behaviors. In light of that it could be beneficial to take a look at the repressed memory in order for the person to change the behavior if that's what they're looking to do.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:10 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I started this thread following a discussion I had with the Lady Diane when she asked me why I didn't have PTSD even though I had been in combat. I responded that I decided many many years ago to forget (repress) those memories and whatever memories I did have were about someone else, certainly not the me I am today. I quite firmly believe that this "repression" is mentally healthy and does not in any way indicate avoidance of history that I should rehash over and over again. It is all best if forgotten.
Will your subconscious mind LET u forget?

or will your conscious future choices be influenced
by those buried memories, for reasons that u don 't remember ?

wandeljw

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:00 am
@Treya,
Treya wrote:

Well... I guess maybe it just depends on the person and the situation. Some things don't necessarily need to be recalled, but I believe there are some things that can have a subconscious effect on our current actions and behaviors. In light of that it could be beneficial to take a look at the repressed memory in order for the person to change the behavior if that's what they're looking to do.

Very good observation, Treya. Thanks.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I am not aware that such thing as a subconscious mind exists, could you point out to me it's location and define it's function?
thank you.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

I started this thread following a discussion I had with the Lady Diane when she asked me why I didn't have PTSD even though I had been in combat. I responded that I decided many many years ago to forget (repress) those memories and whatever memories I did have were about someone else, certainly not the me I am today. I quite firmly believe that this "repression" is mentally healthy and does not in any way indicate avoidance of history that I should rehash over and over again. It is all best if forgotten.
Will your subconscious mind LET u forget?

or will your conscious future choices be influenced
by those buried memories, for reasons that u don 't remember ? Perhaps you meant to say "unconscious mind".

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:09 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I am not aware that such thing as a subconscious mind exists,
could you point out to me it's location and define it's function?
thank you.
Its location is between the neck and the hat
n its function is to bug u.
U r welcome
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:10 am
@dyslexia,
i'm not sure that i can "repress" memories . they seem to come and go as it pleases them .
at best i can manage memories - picking out pleasant episodes isn't too difficult for me .
i'm sure different people deal with them differently .
one size fits all ? probably not - at least not for me .
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:46 am
@tsarstepan,
No, ebrown wrote that.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 09:49 am
Well golly, am I the only one here who actually HAD repressed memories from very-early childhood abuse?

I was FORCED to deal with them.

Gosh, where to start?

My behaviors, in fact my entire existence, in my younger years was almost Completely defined by the abuse: I was Terribly Destructive to myself and others.

I suffered horribly from those repressed memories. Nightmares, bizarre behaviors which I couldn't explain, anxiety attacks, suicide attempts, disabling depression, several stays in Psych Wards... Yep, I did it all!

For me, these symptoms can either be dealt with, or lived with. I literally could NOT live with them, thus I say I was FORCED to deal with them.

Until I was 21, I couldn't remember anything at all that happened before I was 9 years old. This is a far cry from forgetting! Forgetting can be accomplished; repression happens all by itself, esp to kids like myself who simply didn't have the coping mechanisms to deal with the situation.

The repressed memories began to surface in my early 20's, presumably because I was able-enough to deal with them, but at the most inconvenient times and places. I'd burst into tears at work, overwhelmed by something I suddenly remembered... which 5 minutes before I could have sworn was not part of my experience.

My sister had the same experiences in her 20's. I remember one vivid recollection she had, of reverting to childhood while trying to buy a pack of cigarets at a convenience store. She was suddenly compelled to pull up her underwear to protect her privates, reliving a forgotten childhood trauma. She suddenly could not speak, so she simply pointed at the kind of cigarets she wanted.

Cripes, folks, who wants to live like that?

I spent 10 long, miserable, expensive years in therapy, learning how to act like Regular People (as I've always called them: People who were not abused as children).

In summary, though, the therapy worked. Virtually all of my misery, suffering, and destructiveness is now GONE. It's been totally gone for, let's see, about 10 years now (I'm 48).

Anyway, statements that repressed memories do not exist are untrue... I know from experience.
BorisKitten

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 09:52 am
And, oh yes, I also believe that denial and forgetting can be very useful. And yes, it was my own therapist who taught me that.

As long as one doesn't have unexpected miseries from denial, it is, in my opinion, a perfectly safe and useful coping mechanism.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 09:59 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
there are those (and there are many of them) that think repressed memories need to be recalled in order for someone to get and maintain self-actualization. I'm thinking that's really bullshit and that one's ability to manage memories (repressing) is essential to functioning as a human being.

I actually agree with you here, Dys. I don't think self-actualization can be obtained by dredging up forgotten experiences.

I DO think that if someone is displaying destructive behaviors, it MAY (or may NOT) be due to repressed memories, which in that case really do need to be dealt with in order to move on and grow as a person.

I think Repression, Denial, and Forgetting are very, very different things, each with their own place and usefulness in different situations.

I think "managing memories" is more like Denial or Forgetting. Repression is not a conscious act, and CAN'T be done on purpose.
0 Replies