Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 05:43 pm
there are those (and there are many of them) that think repressed memories need to be recalled in order for someone to get and maintain self-actualization. I'm thinking that's really bullshit and that one's ability to manage memories (repressing) is essential to functioning as a human being.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 23 • Views: 12,227 • Replies: 149

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 06:05 pm
I read one time that that is the Japanese approach.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 06:52 pm
So . . . what? We should just stuff it down forever?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 06:55 pm
@dyslexia,
i'm not big on leaving that stuff lie forever undigested, but i don't got any letters behind my name, either...

rockhead phd.
(nope, don't even sound right)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 06:56 pm
@dyslexia,
I've read articles that agree with you, Dys.

There has been much written about repressed memory seeking, pro and con and, no doubt, in between.
I simply don't know, myself.

On myself, I do have flash memories but they are usually benign, or memorable for some comeuppance, like Mrs. McNulty yelling at me..
I think I've been spared, or I am repressed as hell. This is not to make light, I figure coping mechanisms for real trauma are complicated, and I'm not a psychologist. There certainly are accusations of psychologists feeding a repressed memory scenario for various reasons. On the other hand, it is probably a common coping behavior. I dunno.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 07:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Your point that repression can work, I do see that point of view - while I also see the airing view, given the memories are spot on.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 08:33 pm
@sullyfish6,
Quote:
So . . . what? We should just stuff it down forever?

You aren't going to live forever.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 08:34 pm
@ebrown p,
Well reasoned! Smile
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 08:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
What's well reasoned?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 09:04 pm
I'll be bald,
dys is working up his point of view.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 09:22 pm
@dyslexia,
I agree totally. Also, there's nothing wrong with being in denial about certain sorts of things. *

There are certain things, in fact, which I remember and wish very much that I could repress. No, it will not make me a better person to dredge up stuff that's better off unrecalled.

*That particular idea (re: denial) was mentioned to me once by, believe it or not, a psychotherapist.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 09:28 pm
@ossobuco,
so Diane doesn't get to talk?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 10:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
What's well reasoned?

You wrote ...
Quote:
You aren't going to live forever.

My statement wasn't meant as a sarcastic remark but an earnest statement.

Many new theories claim that memory and forgetfulness (or in this case repression) is an evolutionary step to help a individuals to surpass certain tragedies or painful events. The developed neurological talent to repress those memories obviously wouldn't be a positive thing if one lived forever as these negative memories are bound to arise in a hypothetical immortal individual.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 02:53 am
@dyslexia,

Figuratively speaking, time heals all wounds,
BUT the wound must be clean for this to occur.
That involves bringing it up to the surface, in my experience.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 03:31 am
@dyslexia,
Maslow's theory.

http://deptorg.knox.edu/engdept/commonroom/Volume_Eleven/number_two/Wedel/maslow.gif
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 06:43 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
I agree totally. Also, there's nothing wrong with being in denial about certain sorts of things. *

i console myself with this simple mantra "i was only following orders"
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 11:58 am
A misconception about repressed memories, is that the person is always aware they exist. Some repressed memories exist in a state where person can recall details, but only as if it was story told to them. In this case, they are aware of the memory, but experience it in second or third person. In other cases, the person may be completely unaware of the memory at all. Probably due to an absence of people or reminders of the memory around them.

T
K
O
dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:06 pm
@Diest TKO,
absolutely agree.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:21 pm
The whole notion of "repressed memory" is a myth, based on half-baked Freudianism and foisted on the public by charlatans, cranks, impostors, and their easily gulled dupes.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:24 pm
@dyslexia,
I started this thread following a discussion I had with the Lady Diane when she asked me why I didn't have PTSD even though I had been in combat. I responded that I decided many many years ago to forget (repress) those memories and whatever memories I did have were about someone else, certainly not the me I am today. I quite firmly believe that this "repression" is mentally healthy and does not in any way indicate avoidance of history that I should rehash over and over again. It is all best if forgotten.