Trolls represent human's basic nature

omaniac

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 12:36 pm
Some people believe humankind is essentially good. Many believe the opposite. I have lately been curious about internet trolls. Trolls have existed since the earliest days of a public internet. I saw a discussion on here complaining about trolls from 2002. With the aninimity the internet offers, it allows humans to act with all social barriers removed, any previous inhibitions offered in open environments like a classroom or workplace not present.
The internet once and for all disproves the notion that man is inherently good. Aggree? Disaggree? Why? Why not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 6,797 • Replies: 10
No top replies

giujohn

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 08:53 pm
@omaniac,
Man is inherently good...but easily corruptible.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 09:05 pm
You mean psychopathy, right?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 09:34 pm
What makes you think trolls are representative of the rest of humanity? We have a relatively small number of them on this site. What about the rest of us?
giujohn

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 03:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
What makes you think trolls are representative of the rest of humanity?

Where in his post did he say that???
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 04:12 pm
@omaniac,
I doubt that trolls consider themselves in any way bad. For the most part, I think they are doing what would be considered "teasing" if they were with you in person.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 07:40 am
@omaniac,
We're only quasi-anonymous online. Could knock on people's doors with very little effort and no illegal hacking whatsoever. We volunteer so much information, much of it seemingly innocuous, than anyone reasonably intelligent can piece it together and come up with a general idea where people are, and with a willingness to find out specificly, do so.

As to trolls, would say they represent only the emotionally stunted immature users of the internet who have no other outlet for their frustrations. Too with drawn or socially inept, they vent their dissatisfaction online because they know what would happen if they did it in person.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 07:41 am
@giujohn,
Disagree. Think we're basicly evil and only kept in check by laws, but despite laws will do whatever we believe we can get away with. As with exceeding posted speed limits after glancing around for police. Smile
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 05:48 am
@omaniac,
"Give a man a mask and he'll tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

The internet is the mask, and when people 'wear it' the usual social rules and conventions no longer apply and you hear from the real them.

In person, people fear being hit in the face so pull their verbal punches and don't get out of line as much. Online they lack that fear and you get the uncensored version.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 06:07 am
i'm more a contrarian than a troll, i have few if any beliefs, so i tend to mock and deride many things, i've done this most of my life, (50+ years) in school and in real life long before there was an internet

luckily i'm an easy enough going guy i haven't yet been punched in the face, but i've come close in bar arguments of my youth
0 Replies

coa999

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 06:15 pm
good and bad, and morals, are inherently subjective.
i think people take internet communication too seriously. it's not an extension of real life - largely due to the inherent disconnect.
0 Replies