What term do you describe a question which is about the inadequacies of the asker

tawani

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 07:15 am
What term do you use to describe [in psychology] a question which is actually about the inadequacies of the questioner?

For example:
A short person asking: Do you regret being tall?
A man asking: Do you regret being a woman?
etc.

jespah

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 10:33 am
@tawani,
Oh, the term in common, ordinary parlance is a 'loaded question'. In the law, we would call that a 'leading question'. It seems it's also called a leading question in psychology.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 08:41 pm
Could also be passive-aggresive.
Back-handed compliment.
Masked insult.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2020 08:52 am
@tawani,
Self deprecating - if i parsed the question correctly .
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2020 11:29 am
@jespah,
We use leading question over here. When I was a civil servant part of the training was not to ask leading questions. I think I had an afternoon on it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2020 11:31 am
@Leadfoot,
That's not self deprecating, self deprecation is having a joke at your own expense. That isn't the situation the questioner is asking about,he's asking what do you call it when someone puts someone else down because of their own inadequacies.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2020 07:21 pm
@izzythepush,
I think you might be right about what the OP wanted to know, but a strict parsing of the question is something else. The 'asker' is the one asking the question. The question is about the inadequacies of himself, not the one being asked the question.

For example - Am I being a nit picker? How do you think I got so popular on A2K?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2020 01:54 am
@Leadfoot,
The difference is between joking about yourself and projecting your inadequacies on others.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2020 07:42 am
@izzythepush,
And the question addresses the former.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2020 07:47 am
@Leadfoot,
You've clearly never attempted standup.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2020 09:13 am
@izzythepush,
Projecting ?