Need an exit strategy from a verbally abusive marriage

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:40 pm
@MagicBlackCat,
Quote:
case in point:

I just heard him talking on the phone to his dad. He said something about "Changing the door locks on her while she is at work."

Begin defensive action plan C....

considering that you bought the house before the marriage, and that it remains in your name only, I have to wonder why you were concerned about this chatter for more than 30 seconds.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:56 pm
Does Hawkeye wonder whether she wants to break down the doors
of her own house ?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 09:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
If this guy is such a idiot that he would change the locks on a house that his not even remotely his Black Cat can write her own ticket in Divorce court. If I were her I would hope that he actually pulled that stunt.

My point however was that BC seems to be obsessing. Preparation is one thing, needing to believe that your soon to be ex is the scum of the earth is something else.
MagicBlackCat

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 10:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
He is smart, I don't doubt for minute he has the capacity to be vindictive.

Obsessing I may be but I am not taking any agressive actions, merely preparing for a scenario in the event it does.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 02:20 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
If this guy is such a idiot that he would change the locks
on a house that his not even remotely his Black Cat can write her
own ticket in Divorce court.

Maybe that woud count for something,
if the guy were not insolvent.

Quote:

If I were her I would hope that he actually pulled that stunt.

Y ?

Quote:
My point however was that BC seems to be obsessing.

With good reason; this can be a life threatening situation.

Quote:

Preparation is one thing, needing to believe that your soon to be ex
is the scum of the earth is something else.

YEAH !
She shoud have asked Hawkeye whether her husband
is scum or not.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 10:59 am
one day I will forgive.....today is not that day.....
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 02:18 am
Just bumping. I am curious and a bit concerned that there has been no news from MBC. Hopefully everything is going OK.
MagicBlackCat

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 11:17 am
@Aldistar,
Aldistar, thanks for your concern. I'm still around, just figured everyone was tired of my whining.

For those who are curious, here's an update:

Although my lawyer would have me be vindictive to a point of having an Order of Protection thrown on him to get him out of the house, I have refused to embellish the truth just to get the OOP.

Husband has been making arrangements to move his belongings into storage. At first his family gave him indication he could stay with them (for short periods) it seems everyone has reniged and are leaving him high and dry with no place to go. I have told him he can stay in my house till June 1st. I gave him some money so that he'll have deposit money for an apartment or something once he finds one. I have no intention of making it possible for him to stay past June 1.

He gets served today.

His biggest concern is for health insurance which I provide for him. Because the marriage lasted only a year I have no legal obligation to provide him continued coverage. In discussions with him and my lawyer however, he can make the process a bit longer by contesting the divorce in court. (of which I can be forced to pay the attorney fees because of an AZ law and me being the only breadwinner in the household) He has a heart condition so I completely understand his fear that his coverage will end. Today I have provided him with the phone numbers of several health insurance companies who can provide similar coverage to what I get through work. Despite not having an legal obligation, I feel a personal obligation to pay his monthy health insurance premiums until the end of the year or until he can secure new insurance through finding a job. It's not the best option, but I would really like to limit the money we spend on lawyers and court and if that means giving him an 'allowance' to pay his health insurance for six months, I'm all for it.

I just want to get on with my life....without him.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:52 pm

Did he tell u whether he will contest the divorce ?

I don 't think of u as whining.
I hope that u will be winning.

David
MagicBlackCat

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 08:16 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes...he said he would contest the divorce just to delay so that he will continue to have health insurance.

He avoided the process server at the door yesterday because he didn't want the clock to start running.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 08:44 am
@MagicBlackCat,
MagicBlackCat wrote:

Yes...he said he would contest the divorce just to delay
so that he will continue to have health insurance.

He avoided the process server at the door yesterday
because he didn't want the clock to start running.

Beyond the 6 months u offered?

Be sure to keep your attorney up to date.
MagicBlackCat

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
He thinks he needs to consult an attorney before he gets served. Of course his rights are outlined in the summons documentation he is to receive from the process server so it makes no sense but he is clinging to anything he can at this point.

The health insurance policy I am willing to purchase has not been approved yet, (applied for a few days ago) so he is stalling in effort to be sure he will have the current coverage I provide on a family plan through my work. Once the clock runs out, I won't be able to carry him on my insurance plan any longer.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 12:49 pm
@MagicBlackCat,

So it sounds like he 'll freely give u a divorce
in exchange for health insurance for some period of time.

Presumably, he is willing to get a job to support himself (again).
MagicBlackCat

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 02:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
He is trying to split on amicable terms at least. Wants to be friends when this is all over. I told him I didn't know if that was possible.

He will look like the 'good guy' because he is giving me what I am asking for despite the sacrifices he'll have to make. Ha!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 05:45 pm
@MagicBlackCat,
MagicBlackCat wrote:

He is trying to split on amicable terms at least.
Wants to be friends when this is all over.
I told him I didn't know if that was possible.

He will look like the 'good guy' because he is giving me what I am asking
for despite the sacrifices he'll have to make. Ha!

Its good that its amicable
MagicBlackCat

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 06:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
....health insurance denied. *sigh*
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 06:51 pm
@MagicBlackCat,
Hello MBC,

check with your insurance if your soon to be ex-husband can get COBRA
coverage from your insurance. It should be doable. Also he could apply
for Medicaid if he's not working.
MagicBlackCat

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 09:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thanks! I will look into that.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 08:23 pm
Update:

He was served today.

A bulk of the furniture and many items of his have been moved to storage. He is sleeping on old couch (that is going to the dump) until Sunday night. He is to be completely out by June 1. Poor thing, has not made any stride in looking for a job. Keep telling myself that is NOT . MY. PROBLEM.

My items, my kitties, and self have completely moved into the master bedroom space. Now we are just waiting.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:51 am

Congratulations.

Good luck

David