Need an exit strategy from a verbally abusive marriage

engineer

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 12:04 pm
@MagicBlackCat,
Just to be the devil's advocate...

So your husband of 12 years is going to come home one day and you are going to drop the bomb on him (which will be out of the blue from his perspective) and disappear after having cleared out of the house and freezing any financial means for him to survive. He won't be able to contact you, access credit or even discuss his newly minted personality disorder. You will have a lawyer in place and if he does manage to contact you, he will be met by the police. You expect him to vacate your joint home even though he does not have the resources to quickly find a place on his own. Since he is a stay at home husband, he has no credit, no resume and the job market is bad anyway.

Sounds just like what husbands did to wives in the 70's when they held all the power.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 12:36 pm
@MagicBlackCat,
MagicBlackCat wrote:

Ok..i am setting up a vision that goes something like this...

1) Take defensive action now.
Prepare for the worst case scenario that he will look for anyway
he can to get me back and take the steps I can to ensure,
he cannot contact me in the future.

2) Once legal actions are ready to go, drop the news, cancel his card,
change my phone numbers, secure the belongings I intend on keeping
and giving a notice of eviction. (with witnesses)

3) Disappear - Live away from the house for a couple of months
to give him time to move his stuff. What he takes with him then, is his.
There is NO OPTION for him to come back and get anything
he leaves behind in the move.

4) Once I return to the house, change the locks.
(Oh, and make sure he cannot get into my garage with a garage door opener
he can purchase from the hardware store down the street -
they have that info on file >.< )

5) fully expect that is going to try everything in his power to find me and convince me
that he can change. IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE. Call the police as necessary.

In furtherance of your defenses,
1. give consideration to your being vulnerable in or near (like parking lot)
your place of work; (presumably, he knows where that is).

2. Get plenty of insurance on your house,
(i.e., full coverage for the market value of your house)
particularly including fire insurance
and vandalism insurance (e.g., sabotage to your plumbing, etc, etc., etc.)
Don 't scrimp on coverage.

U mentioned changing the locks. What about the glass windows, hi and low ?
How strong are your doors ?
Are thay strong enuf to withstand getting kicked in ?
Suppose that u accidentally lost your house keys:
HOW woud u try to get inside ?
Perhaps an expert will look the place over for defensive security.
In some municipalities, the police will offer this service for homeowners' safety.

Tho it may be creepy, it may be of value to u to put yourself into his mind
as to what vengeance u think he might wish to inflict upon u.

Without knowing either of u,
I think it may be helpful to hold your mind open the chance
that he is more vengeful than u think he is; its better to anticipate and prepare in advance.

DON 'T leave it to luck: make your own luck

David
MagicBlackCat

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 02:02 pm
@engineer,
Engineer, I definately need someone to play devil's advocate and I appreciate your thoughts here.

I fully expect it will take him some time to find a job. I am starting discussions NOW about the need for him to do this. I intend on remaining supportive to his need time to make arrangements for a place to live which is why the eviction notice is going to give a date that he must be out by. Say 30 days from notice or something like that. (my lawyer I am sure will be able to suggest a 'reasonable' time frame to give. ) In the meantime I would be living in a short term apartment some place until he has moved out. He has family in the area that he can stay with if it becomes absolutely necessary for him to leave.

Although the divorce will blindside him, I intend on remaining relatively distant from him in terms of affection and giving him what he wants. I fully expect to be treated with anger as I begin to exert control over my own actions, like NOT updating his resume for him, or submitting it online, or filling out the app. There have been times he has made comments to me like "It seems like you think you'd be better living alone" I have done nothing to counter that. He will become paranoid, and will acuse me of a lot of things, which I must prepare to counter with non-engagement and non interest. I am going to encourage him now to get his own credit card. (which we have talked about anyway) that will help him to establish some credit. I imagine an attorney will look at any fiancial obligations which I may have for him and I intend on being ready with a cashiers check so that he will have the funds necessary to move out within the specified time frame.

He has a resume which needs to be updated slightly. He is capable of that much but until now has not felt the need to do it himself. He is also capable of physically looking for a job as I have no expectations of him to complete house projects or other tasks. the conversations have already started about that under the guise that I may lose my job because of restructures and whatnot. He has a vehicle which is insured and I am not going to do anything which will physically hinder him from going out and finding a job.

Although, I do hold the financial power here, I do not intend to take advantage and leave him completely without resources.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 02:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I agree 100%. My work has added security which I know will make it so that he cannot get into the building. I am flexible where I can change my hours (or work outside the office) so that I do not arrive and depart at the same time every day.

Insurance - yes. Will do that.

Lucikly his past behavior shows he is more 'passive' than active in his agression. I have a security door. Bars in the windows which remain locked. Padlocks on the exterior gates. I do have a set of french doors, I'll need to secure better.

0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 02:18 pm
Another question to all....
It is very likely he will turn to a friend or his family to move which I actually hope he does. they are reasonable and understand how he is. He is going to say a lot of things about me which I will not be able to counter or even show how it is not the way he says it is. >.< I am torn with the idea that I should give them a 'heads up' when I am leaving so that they can be ready for the turmoil that he can create.

What do you think?
DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 02:20 pm
@engineer,
Husband of one year.

Presumably, he was able to take care of himself prior to that.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 02:27 pm
@MagicBlackCat,
I think there are two sides to every story and he will have a lot of access to his friends and family for his just as you will have more access to yours. You can try to get your side of the story out there, but he will trump you just due to time and access. The reverse will be true of your family. I doubt you will score any points by going to his family and saying that he has a personality disorder and he is verbally abusive. Probably the opposite. By attempting a pre-emptive strike, you might generate a lot of ill will. You might as well write them off. (Think for a moment of the reverse situation. If he approaches your family and explains how you done him wrong before you could speak to them, how would that play?) If one of them should approach you on the issue, then you have someone who is probably more sympathetic and would give you a fair hearing.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 04:31 pm
@MagicBlackCat,
MagicBlackCat wrote:

It is very likely he will turn to a friend or his family to move which I actually hope he does. they are reasonable and understand how he is. He is going to say a lot of things about me which I will not be able to counter or even show how it is not the way he says it is. >.< I am torn with the idea that I should give them a 'heads up' when I am leaving so that they can be ready for the turmoil that he can create.

What do you think?

Don 't do it too soon; do it after u are safely away.
Thay used to say: "loose lips sink ships."
MagicBlackCat

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 04:45 pm
@engineer,
I was just thinking more along the line of a note through e-mail just to say ...

"I'm leaving for personal reasons. Thanks for making me feel part of the family for so long. I will miss all of you and I hope for the best for all concerned, including husband."

I am not going to mention anything to husband, or to his family about the personality disorder. (that is only to help me work through his behavior) I will, however, be having short, even tempered statements directed at his disrespectful attitude towards me, and not accept his continued 'belittling' that he does. When I leave, it will be a total surprise only because he will ignore anything he does not wish to hear such as "I cannot live with you treating me so disrespectfully." "I don't HAVE to do that for you..you are a grown man and can do it yourself."

I have no friends right now. Those that I did before I met him drifted off into obscurity because he was toxic toward them and made my life hell if I tried to go do things with them. "What are you going to visit your boyfriend?" type statements. Heck, I can't even play a computer game without him looking over my shoulder, or asking what I am typing on forums because he thinks I'm "flirting" Yes, I probably spend more time on the computer games than I should, but it is my escape from having to deal with constantly being expected to read his mind and cater to his self inflated ego.

In this case, he will have more support than I will. My mother doesn't even support my 'need' to leave and thinks I should try and work it out. She does not understand, he will not change. I can only change how I react to him.

I do not want to 'play games' by handling him the way I would a child. And seriously he is just like a child ...PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEEEE! ugh. Even if he were to see the 'need' to change (to keep me from leaving) He is incapable of stopping his behavior. It is completely ingrained that he needs validation at every turn. I say "thanks for cleaning the kitchen honey." and he responds with "Oh well I didn't get this done and I didn't get that done but it does 'look' clean." Then 2 days later, he will get mad because the kitchen is again a mess (he cooks, I can burn water) and tell me how I never appreciate anything he does.. or I say "I love you" and he says ..'Really? why?" His self esteem is really messed up. >.<
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 04:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

MagicBlackCat wrote:

What do you think?

Don 't do it too soon; do it after u are safely away.
Thay used to say: "loose lips sink ships."
If u DO call his family for any reason,
be mindful of CALLER ID.

IF u call, it might be best to call from a public pay fone
to preserve the privacy of your fone number.

Don 't trust them.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 07:02 am
@MagicBlackCat,
MBC, I'm sorry for your difficulties and for the end of your marriage. Good luck sorting out your life from here.

Still, I'm shocked by the responses you've received on this post. No where did you imply that your husband is a psychotic killer who will hunt you down, steal all your possessions and destroy your life. If anything, you have portrayed your husband as a whiny shrew rather than a controlling nutcase. The comments and actions you've attributed to your husband are so stereotypical of a nagging wife that I have some suspisions that this whole thread is a troll. Yet the advice you've received here tells you to treat your husband without respect or compassion, just as if your were a battered woman escaping a dangerous situation. Let's take your original post and change the genders. This is pretty easy since you're the bread winner and he is the stay at home spouse. If this is what you had posted, my guess is that you wouldn't have won a lot of sympathy from readers here. In fact, I think several of them would have made unkind comments about you. Just something to think about.

MagicBlackCat (if she were a guy) wrote:

I need help. Recently I have been hit with a clue-by-four that my wife has Nagging Shrew Disorder. I am in shock that I did not realize all of this sooner. It is unfortunate that I fell right into what my my father did with my stepmother and accepted that I was always the one at fault for my unhappiness. As it turns out I was manipulated and verbally abused to the point it caused to me contemplate suicide and became severely depressed that medication became necessary just to deal with life.

I am currently seeing a therapist to talk through my issues but I need to do more than that for my continued emotional well being. I need to divorce the bitch.

I have known wife for 12 years. We got legally married a year ago. (what in the heck was I thinking? I knew she was toxic in some ways but really had my eyes opened when I began reading about NSD. Every single description, fits my wife's reactions to my show of control over my own thoughts and feelings.

An example,

Last night I came home, talked with wife about my day for a few minutes then went to change out of my work clothes. I came back to the living room and asked "Are you coming back to the office?" (this is where I spend some of my evening playing computer games, browsing the internet and just generally winding down. ) So, she says 'sure'. She has a couch, TV, laptop and everything she needs to keep herself occupied while I play the XBox or surf the web. To make a long story short I found myself a victim of a verbal barrage of statements and indirect name calling because I would not say "yes" to her question of "Do you WANT me to come back?" Umm, well yeah seems to me a normal person would see my intial question as an indirect way of saying "Come back and let's be together. You can sit there while I play Worlds of Warcraft." Well throughout the verbal barrage I remained completely calm, my tone was low and non combative. She escalated into yelling, telling me I was a sociopath, nasty, mean, inturupting, and being controlling simply because I did not answer her 'searching' question and give her some sort of affirmation. Indeed she was looking for validation that she is loved but even though I countered her statements "You don't care about me!" She still refused to believe me and spent the next two hours in the living room sulking. I went out into the kitchen a couple of times and tried to act as though nothing was wrong, but she just wouldn't let it go. I had let the situation go but I was not going to give into her manipulation and move myself into the living room to 'share a show' with her when it was not something I wanted to do. I said "aren't you coming back to the office?" again. I got asked the question "are you going to stop being mean and nasty?" Argh. I gave her a completely WTF look as I could not believe she really thought I had said all the things he accused me of saying. (which I had not even hinted at. Remember I was calm the entire time. I didn't once try to tell her her feelings were complete BS with the exception of trying to point out. "I didn't say that....that seems like it's an issue....You just called me a sociopath?" There was no sarcasim at all and I ended it that I was really worried that she took such an innocent question and made such a big deal out of it that she became the 'victim' without me doing anything at all to her. Ugh.

I had a phone call with my dad yesterday. I told him some of my suspicions and pointed out the behaviors that she was exhibiting and how I felt used (wife does not work). He is part of the problem and says "Women are like that, get over it." From there I realized my dad is setting me up to remain in marriage that he was in with my stepmother. God, I hated that woman. Now, I find myself friendless, in shock, and completely alone in my thoughts that I need to get out of this verbally abusive marriage.

So, I find myself now in need to come up with an exit strategy and need some advice on how to do it safely. Remember "Fatal Attraction?"

There are a lot of websites out there and I intend to take it very slow in an attempt to protect my assets and move on.

I purchased my house about 5 years ago. I did ALL the house hunting, put down the deposit, took out the mortgage all in my name as a 'single' entity at the time. My car loan was the same way and my car is completely paid off. I have given my wife the car I had before I purchased my current car so she has her own transportation.

We never set up a joint checking account. My money has always been direct deposited into an account I had before I met wife. I have a credit card which she is an authorized user on, but I am solely the one who is responsible for the bill. She has no credit what-so-ever with the exception of an old school loan from 20+ years ago that was never paid off. Everything we have done as a couple, for financial purposes is in my name solely. E.G. utlity bills, car insurance, etc. She has not worked for over a year now. Before her last job she did not work for about 3 years while I went to school to finish my Bachelors Degree. I have statements of her income and when comparing it with mine, it is evident that her pattern is that she does not work steadily.

So one of my first steps is to see a lawyer as I know wife is going to expect some sort of alimony or other monies to make up for the time she spent 'helping me' get my degree by doing things around the house, running errands and generally being a housewife. We don't have kids (thank goodness!!!!!!) so that at least does not muddy the waters with child support or other concerns. She thinks at this point that she is entitled to half of the equity in my house. While I do agree that she should get 'some money' as she allowed me to save up some in my savings account while she was working, I do not think she is entitled to my house equity. I pay for everything. She needs to get a job ASAP so that she will have a source of financial support. I fully expect her to refuse to the leave the house, so I may end up having to take drastic measures to protect myself which will include finding an apartment for her to live in. Her past behavior shows she is not going to do this on her own. She is going to bad mouth me to her family and anyone she thinks will listen to the story of how I have hurt her. Between us we have 5 cats and a dog. The dog is clearly hers but is so large she will have real difficulty finding a place where she can live that will take her. I have no problem with keeping her, but I know she is not going to allow that to happen. 2 of the cats, I have had for over 16 years so I highly doubt she will expect to keep them. I do have concerns that she may create stress in the house however that may impact these senior cats health. Sad The other three cats she is very likely to come up with any number of reasons why she should keep them. I will feel sad, yes, because I love those cats but I am not going to even fight that battle.
MagicBlackCat

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 10:26 am
@engineer,
"The comments and actions you've attributed to your husband are so stereotypical of a nagging wife that I have some suspisions that this whole thread is a troll. "

Engineer I have quoted you above. Up until now I have seen your comments as helpful. The part I quote however shows that you do not understand how someone in my position is manipluated into thinking they are crazy because they expect their spouse to have empathy for their feelings, show respect even when there is a difference of opinion, and generally really care for the well being of another. To call me a troll? Um, yeah. That shows understanding. Nagging wife? Give me a ******* break. I do NOT nag. I keep to myself. I ask for things nicely from my husband. He has shown me he does not respect my safety. I have become clinically depressed and thought about killing myself -that is not healthy emotionally and I have come to realize that the way he treats me is what caused me to be in such a state. I need to get away from him.

Live my life before you tell me I am just a nagging wife and a troll. For nearly 12 years husband. I have been maniupulated into paying for everything while he sleeps in till 10 AM and does the minimal amount around the house while I go off to work. He is not healthy for me, he is sucking me dry and the comments other people are giving in this thread are helpful to show me how I am not wrong in my thought process that I AM NOT THE PROBLEM HERE. I am a victim of emotional abuse. I cannot stand by and allow it to continue to happen.

Given my husband's past reactions, he is going to be VERY ANGRY when he finds out he can no longer control my actions. I can definately see him taking it ot the extreme of using my cats as leverage to get me to comply as that is the only thing he knows I really care about. If you understand anything about NPD, it is that they will use the 'caring' to manipulate you into submission. By taking proactive defensive action (which in no way will HURT husband) I am simply standing up and protecting myself. That is not wrong.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 10:28 am
@engineer,
quote="engineer"]
Quote:
MBC, I'm sorry for your difficulties and for the end of your marriage.
Good luck sorting out your life from here.

Still, I'm shocked by the responses you've received on this post.
No where did you imply that your husband is a psychotic killer
who will hunt you down, steal all your possessions and destroy your life.

Your post appears to imply
that MBC is safe, unless her husband is psychotic;
i.e., that ONLY husbands that are psychotic kill wives.

I wonder whether there is any proof
of that proposition ?

David
engineer

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 11:20 am
@MagicBlackCat,
I think you have misunderstood my comments.

MagicBlackCat wrote:

"The comments and actions you've attributed to your husband are so stereotypical of a nagging wife that I have some suspisions that this whole thread is a troll. "

Engineer I have quoted you above. Up until now I have seen your comments as helpful. The part I quote however shows that you do not understand how someone in my position is manipluated into thinking they are crazy because they expect their spouse to have empathy for their feelings, show respect even when there is a difference of opinion, and generally really care for the well being of another. To call me a troll? Um, yeah. That shows understanding.

A "troll" in Internet speak is someone who posts inflamatory comments just to watch the response. As I said, your comments so exactly match what a man would write as to appear suspicious. The comments you attribute to your husband could almost come out of a Maxim letter from a guy complaining about his wife. I wasn't calling you a "troll" as in a creature that sits under a bridge.

MagicBlackCat wrote:
Nagging wife? Give me a ******* break. I do NOT nag. I keep to myself.

Once again, your husband is the nag in this senario. If you were a guy and he the wife, this is how you would describe the behavior you depicted.

MagicBlackCat wrote:
For nearly 12 years husband. I have been maniupulated into paying for everything while he sleeps in till 10 AM and does the minimal amount around the house while I go off to work.

Once again, I could see a guy writting his about his stay at home wife. Do you see my point here? If a guy wrote this about his wife, he would be HAMMERED in this forum.

MagicBlackCat wrote:
Given my husband's past reactions, he is going to be VERY ANGRY when he finds out he can no longer control my actions. I can definately see him taking it ot the extreme of using my cats as leverage to get me to comply as that is the only thing he knows I really care about. If you understand anything about NPD, it is that they will use the 'caring' to manipulate you into submission. By taking proactive defensive action (which in no way will HURT husband) I am simply standing up and protecting myself. That is not wrong.

No, nothing wrong at all. You are the best judge of that, but from what you posted originally, I never saw that. If this is new information, that you feel threatened, then by all means do not put yourself into a situation that could end badly. You've portrayed your husband as being exactly like a 70's era housewife while you are like the 70's era husband. You control all the money, all the property and have all the power. The courts will be likely to see you in a favorable light. Like in the 70's, your spouse is likely screwed. Majorly. I'm not in your shoes, nor in your husband's, but while everyone else here is ready to hammer the bum into the muck, I see another side. I posted your original post with the pronouns changed. If you read that with your position stated from a guy's point of view, would you be ready to throw the wife overboard?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 11:24 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

of that proposition ?

David

Unless the husband has a history of violent behavior, why would you automatically assume that these two people couldn't have an amicable divorce? Do all men assume their soon to be ex's are going to go Fatal Attraction on them? For that matter, do all women make that assumption about men? MBC did not state that her husband was in any way physically abusive and even went further to say that he is "passive". Is there any reason to assume this divorce can't proceed in a civil manner like many thousands of others?
chai2

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 11:42 am
I've just read over all this quickly, so don't know if this was mentioned....

take him off your credit card as an authorized user.

devils advocate?

I don't buy thinking like that in this situation. You've got to be in self preservation mode. He will take advantage of any thing he sees as weakness on your part.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 12:28 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

of that proposition ?

David

engineer wrote:
Quote:
Unless the husband has a history of violent behavior,
why would you automatically assume that these two people couldn't have an amicable divorce?

Engineer, if u will carefully examine my post,
u will observe that I did NOT utter ANY assumptions (neither automatic nor manual assumptions)
Instead, my post (which u have quoted) is limited to questioning
YOUR implied assumption, by asking for proof of your conclusion
that only psychotic husbands kill their wives.
I meant to express my skepticism of that proposition.

engineer wrote:
Quote:

Do all men assume their soon to be ex's are going to go Fatal Attraction on them?
For that matter, do all women make that assumption about men?

In my opinion, neither of them probably do,
but that is just my suspicion.
I have not conducted surveys in proof of that.

engineer wrote:
Quote:

MBC did not state that her husband was in any way physically abusive
and even went further to say that he is "passive".

Here again, we find your tacit assumption
that murder is forthcoming from no one,
except people who have been "physically abusive".
Will u share with us whatever evidence has moven u to reach that assumption ?

engineer wrote:
Quote:

Is there any reason to assume this divorce
can't proceed in a civil manner like many thousands of others?

I am aware of no reason to assume anything about it.
Do those of us who carry jacks n spare tires in our trunks ASSUME that we will get flats ?
Do those of us who carry handguns under our left shoulders ASSUME that we will get robbed ?
Do those of us who carry health insurance ASSUME that we will get heart attacks or fractured bones ?

Correct me if I am rong, Engineer, but I believe that citizens
adopt these behaviors because thay are cognizant of the POSSIBILITIES,
as distinct from the certainties, of these occurrences.

This concept applies with equal force
to the possibility of getting murdered by a husband (psychotic or not)
and addressing that possibility in a logically competent fashion.

Of course, u r aware of the fact that engineers must be logically precise
in their understanding and in the behaviors that r founded
upon that accurate understanding, or the fruit of their labor
will not function, or will function defectively.

(Here, I am assuming that u r not the kind of engineer who drives a RR train.)

David
MagicBlackCat

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 12:50 pm
@chai2,
Yes, my plan is to have him get a credit card in his name only so that he can begin to establish his own credit rating, then remove him as an authorized user from my account.

Self perservation mode - check!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 01:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
So if MBC was a guy who wrote the exact same text about his wife (See Post 3637759), your advice would be the same?

In some sense, I can understand your advice to MBC to take absolutely no risk, but in real life, taking absolutely no risk comes at extreme cost. An engineering approach requires a risk vs reward approach. Don't get me wrong, if MBC feels that the situation is volatile and the risk is extreme, she should take appropriate action to protect herself. Even if she doesn't, taking reasonable precautions makes sense. But if MBC feels that there is going to be some yelling and crying, maybe she could do just as well without doing a lot of things that would look very questionable in divorce court. Moving her possesions out of the behind her husband's back, freezing all his assests and credit cards, providing only minimal financial support even though he doesn't have a job, vanishing so that her husband can take no recourse to address his condition ... these are all things readers here have advised her to do. I can't really put myself in her shoes based on the limited information provided, but I can put myself in the shoes of those advising her since we all have the same information. I say again, if a man had written the exact same post with the gender roles reversed, the advice would be completely different.

I'm not advising MBC to continue in the relationship. I'm not advising her to coddle her husband, take unnecessary risks or offer her husband a generous financial settlement. I'm not excusing the behavior she's attributed to him. I am advising her to treat him with some dignity if only to respect their twelve year relationship. I'm sure if we got his take, he feels she has been "mentally abusing" him for years too. (MBC, that is not a dig at you. That's how bitter divorces work.) The responses here are preparing MBC for an all out war with her delivering a solid, pre-emptive strike. Maybe that's what required, but I honestly hope she can do better. If the roles were reversed, I believe we would expect a guy in her shoes to do better.

MBC, best of luck to you. What you have perceived as criticism aimed at you was intended as criticism aimed at my fellow respondents who, I feel, exhibit a double standard when responding to your post as compared to what they would say to a man who says the same thing about his wife. Hopefully, both you and your husband will find your way to happiness in the days to come.

MagicBlackCat

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 02:14 pm
@engineer,
"Moving her possesions out of the behind her husband's back, freezing all his assests and credit cards, providing only minimal financial support even though he doesn't have a job, vanishing so that her husband can take no recourse to address his condition ... these are all things readers here have advised her to do. "

Thank you for the follow up. I'd just like to address this part. I don't feel as if the other posters are taking it to the extremes you think. They are helping to provide me with information I may not be thinking about and I need that right now.

I see no issue with moving my personal possesions. It won't be behind his back, only moved to a location so that they cannot be used as leverage against me. I actually have very little belongings that falls into this category. We have had previous arguments, one of which was how we would split the household possesions.

He has shown me that he will take the things which are most important to me. This includes entitlement that I should move out of a house that is in my name solely. I don't see where anyone said to freeze his assests. He has two cars both of which I gave him. He will be able to sell one for cash, the other he will be able to use for transportion. His family has been very good to us and have given some very big furniture pieces. I have every intention of letting him furnish a place with what he will need and take anything which was a gift from his family or friends. It is my strong feeling however that he will covet things which he will have no use for, just to prevent me from having it. E.g. the lawn mower, weed wacker, a very large bedroom set, etc. These are all items that we purchased with my wages since we have been together (12 years) These items were not purchased during the last year (married time).

He has given effort into the relationship and so have I, I don't discredit him any of that. Much of my past comes into play here in that I did not see that he was using me. Other posters have stated some very thought provoking comments. In the end I will take their advice and mull on it, feel it, understand it, but deep down I am sad...sad that I allowed it to continue for soo long. I hold regrets, but I do not begrudge him a happy life. It is for my very survival within myself that I cannot continue to allow all of my efforts to work toward a future thwarted because of another human being who does not contribute and severely hinders progress.
0 Replies