Guns: how much longer will it take ....

McGentrix

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 08:56 pm
@ehBeth,
Couple things....

The US is made up of 50 states that all have their own requirements. I don't think any have the same requirements.

Why is Canada only discussing handguns?
Quote:
Canada
1To buy a handgun, join an accredited shooting club. 2Complete a safety course and pass both a written and a practical test. 3Ask for two references. 4Apply for a permit, and wait 28 days before processing begins. 5Pass a background check that considers your criminal record, mental health, addiction and domestic violence history. 6Buy a gun. If you bought a handgun, register it with the police before taking it home.

What about rifles and shotguns like each other country is compared with?
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 03:57 am
@McGentrix,
Over 90% of US target ranges require NRA membership before one can use the target range. Theres a movement to dispnse with that. I quit sending my dues in around 1980 when it started to drop the outdoor skills and became a lobby for S&W, and started making the 2nd Amendment unapproachable.
Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 04:48 am
@McGentrix,
Under Harper's Tory regime, all bans on non-military long guns were repealed, and the long gun registry was abolished. In fact, when Québec kept the information from the long gun registry, Harper's people went after them in federal court. A case of "thy will be done" by the conservatives--all hail Harper.

So long guns became untouchable, which leaves hand guns only. Capisce?
sceletera

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 05:56 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

sceletera wrote:
This seems to be a common practice on your part. It is a failing of logic.
If the requirement is A, B & C be met before D can occur then all three A, B & C must be met. You see that A is met and then declare the D occurs without testing for B & C.

No failings, logical or otherwise. I skipped those other steps because they were not relevant to the issue under discussion.

If someone is anorexic to the point of being debilitated, that is not a good reason for depriving them of their guns.

If someone is claustrophobic to the point of being debilitated, that is not a good reason for depriving them of their guns.

That Obama's policy would have done this was shameful and unacceptable. When Trump signed the law overturning it (and forbidding future presidents from resurrecting Obama's shameful policy) it was one of the high points in American civil rights.

You claim you skipped the steps because they weren't relevant and then you turn around and realize they are relevant and include them.

This is you not including the important details:
Quote:

Not when the links prove me right.

Phobias and anorexia are covered by the regulation.

This is you realizing you have to include "to the point of being debilitated" to make your statement accurate.
Quote:
If someone is anorexic to the point of being debilitated, that is not a good reason for depriving them of their guns.

If someone is claustrophobic to the point of being debilitated, that is not a good reason for depriving them of their guns.

Of course the standards required to meet the regulation are relevant. Any claim that those standards are not relevant would be factually incorrect.
0 Replies

sceletera

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 06:15 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

sceletera wrote:
Farmerman made a statement that was true and correct

And the only thing he offered to back up his true and correct statement was a logical fallacy and an untrue accusation about me.
When a statement is true and correct, it doesn't always have to be supported unless someone disputes it. When it is disputed then support should be shown.

Quote:
sceletera wrote:
and you without evidence claimed it was not true.

A perfectly reasonable response given:

a) my sincere although mistaken belief that his claim was untrue, and

b) Farmerman backing up his claim with nothing but a logical fallacy and an untrue claim about me.

I see no logical fallacy in his statement.
His statement is here - https://able2know.org/topic/131081-67#post-6601715

Here is a list of logical fallacies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Feel free to support your claim that he used a logic fallacy by citing which one you think he used.

You claim he made an untrue statement which I assume is this one.
farmerman wrote:
Youre right, he is, once again arguing against the facts, hoping by bold assertion he can convince those who are too busy to look it up, that he, oralloy, knows of what he speaks.

In my little time observing you that statement would be a correct assessment of you. I have pointed out many instances of you using untrue statements and arguing against what is factual. I have seen you make bold assertions that when I do look them up turn out to be untrue.

So, cite the logical fallacy and cite what farmerman said about you that is untrue. You may not like that people recognize that you spout things as if you are an authority but upon examination it turns out you know not of what you speak. But that is not a failing of others.
sceletera

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 06:34 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

No good reason to ban pistol grips.

Previously, I said this.
sceletera wrote:

This seems to be a common practice on your part. It is a failing of logic.
If the requirement is A, B & C be met before D can occur then all three A, B & C must be met. You see that A is met and then declare the D occurs without testing for B & C.

Pistol grips were not banned under the assault rifle law.
The text of that law can be found here -
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/103/hr4296/text

The law did not ban pistol grips. It banned some rifles with pistol grips that met other standards as well. In order for a gun with a pistol grip to be banned under the law it had to meet the following requirements.
A. It had to have a pistol grip
B. It had to be a semiautomatic
C. It had to accept a removable magazine
D. It had to include one of the following:
- (i) a folding or telescoping stock;
‘(iii) a bayonet mount;
‘(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
‘(v) a grenade launcher;

A, B, C & D all had to be true before a gun with a pistol grip was banned.

sceletera

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 06:35 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Pistol grips on rifles are not the cause of even one of these murders, so it certainly isn't enough to justify a ban on pistol grips.

Merely a repeat of the same logical failing.
oralloy

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 07:27 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
and became a lobby for S&W,

You say the most preposterous things.

That is one thing that the NRA never was.

farmerman wrote:
and started making the 2nd Amendment unapproachable.

Nothing wrong with preventing people from violating our civil rights.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 07:29 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Under Harper's Tory regime, all bans on non-military long guns were repealed, and the long gun registry was abolished.

Does non-military gun mean no pistol grip?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 07:35 am
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:
Pistol grips were not banned under the assault rifle law.
The text of that law can be found here -
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/103/hr4296/text

The law did not ban pistol grips. It banned some rifles with pistol grips that met other standards as well. In order for a gun with a pistol grip to be banned under the law it had to meet the following requirements.
A. It had to have a pistol grip
B. It had to be a semiautomatic
C. It had to accept a removable magazine
D. It had to include one of the following:
- (i) a folding or telescoping stock;
‘(iii) a bayonet mount;
‘(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
‘(v) a grenade launcher;

A, B, C & D all had to be true before a gun with a pistol grip was banned.

It doesn't matter. The fact that they were only banning pistol grips on certain rifles does not change the fact that the pistol grips did not make the guns any deadlier or cause a single murder and there was no reason to ban them.

So that's one more time you are wrong.

By the way, there was no reason to ban any of the other features either. "Pistol grip" is just an easy way of referring to the fact that the entire point of the law was to ban harmless cosmetic things.

But even if the pistol grip had been the only thing that there was no point in banning, that alone would have been more than enough to render the entire law unconstitutional.
oralloy

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 07:36 am
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Pistol grips on rifles are not the cause of even one of these murders, so it certainly isn't enough to justify a ban on pistol grips.

Merely a repeat of the same logical failing.

Nope. Adding a pistol grip to a rifle doesn't cause any murders.
oralloy

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 08:13 am
@sceletera,
Obviously the reason why you're wrong in this post is because you've been wrong everywhere else.
maporsche

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 08:33 am
@oralloy,
When someone cannot argue (or understand) a complex issue, it's common practice (especially among the feeble minded) to "dumb it down" so to speak.

Which is it?

Can you not argue the issue?
Can you not understand the issue?
Are you feeble minded?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 09:00 am
@maporsche,
I think it's a complete inability to deal with reality. Oralloy thinks things are a certain way. For him that's the 'truth.'

He will cling steadfast to that 'truth,' and ignore any facts that contradict it. Those facts must be wrong because he knows what the 'truth' is.

He does it on every single thing, and when his errors are pointed out he refuses to accept it and resorts to the same pat phrases about nobody being able to point out anything he's said that's wrong and being some sort of super genius.

It's almost like he's some sort of automaton that has gone senile and can't deal with anything outside of its programming. At any moment I expect him to start singing Daisy Daisy.
sceletera

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 09:27 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
It doesn't matter.
It does matter. To exclude it is simple a repeat of what seems to be your favorite logical fallacy.

Quote:
The fact that they were only banning pistol grips on certain rifles does not change the fact that the pistol grips did not make the guns any deadlier or cause a single murder and there was no reason to ban them.
They banned guns with multiple features that would make them similar to other guns that were banned under the law. The law banned semiautomatic assault weapons and then created a definition of those weapons which listed specific weapons and a description of what would count on any future weapons.

Quote:
So that's one more time you are wrong.
A declarative statement on your part doesn't make me wrong. It only further provides further evidence that farmerman's description of you is true.

Quote:
By the way, there was no reason to ban any of the other features either. "Pistol grip" is just an easy way of referring to the fact that the entire point of the law was to ban harmless cosmetic things.

But even if the pistol grip had been the only thing that there was no point in banning, that alone would have been more than enough to render the entire law unconstitutional.
Except every court case challenging the constitutionality of the assault weapons ban lost in court. On what basis do you claim the law was unconstitutional?

Quote:
Legal Challenges to the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban
The Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 was unsuccessfully challenged as violating several
constitutional provisions. While arguments that the act constituted an impermissible Bill of
Attainder,42 is unconstitutionally vague,43 and is contrary to the Ninth Amendment44 were readily
dismissed by the courts, challenges to the ban based on the Commerce Clause and the Equal
Protection Clause received more measured consideration.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42957.pdf

And in a more recent case, the Fourth Circuit said assault weapons could be banned and the Supreme Court refused to take up the case. It seems the majority of the current Supreme Court disagrees with you on this one.
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/nov/27/supreme-court-declines-to-hear-nra-backed-challenge-to-assault-weapon-ban

You declaring something "unconstitutional" doesn't make it so. Courts have consistently ruled that such a ban is constitutional.
sceletera

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 09:29 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Nope. Adding a pistol grip to a rifle doesn't cause any murders.

Arguing about pistol grips is merely a red herring on your part.

The courts have consistently ruled that a ban on assault weapons even those described as having pistol grips is Constitutional.
sceletera

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 09:34 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Obviously the reason why you're wrong in this post is because you've been wrong everywhere else. F-

A declaration without any support. Provide support for your statement. Simply declaring you are correct without any supporting documentation will always result in a failing grade.
hightor

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 10:36 am
@izzythepush,
He's pretty much been reduced to sputtering the same non sequiturs ad nauseum. Sceletera and Zardoz, who have a lot more patience than I, have both exposed his limited capacity to learn when he's been bested.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 10:58 am
@hightor,
He was reduced to spluttering the same non sequiturs ad nauseum when I first got here. He has about five or six phrases which he repeats like some sort of merry go round. There's no point in talking to him because you know exactly what he'll say before he does.

Both Sceletera and Zardoz have great patience and have spent a lot of time proving him wrong only to be met with. 'You're unable to point out a single fact I've got wrong.'

No actual response, no understanding of what's being discussed, just glib clichés.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 11:01 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
the same non sequiturs ad nauseum

perseveration

I try not to set it off. I don't think it's helpful for people around him/her in real life.