Guns: how much longer will it take ....

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 05:46 am
@farmerman,
Even in the Heller decision, Justice Scalia, writing for the majority ,said that "The second amendment is not limitless". I submit that we need to test this statement to a degree not ever seen before the days that the NRA went from being a marksmanship organization , to a hunting and gun safety organization to a SHADOW GOVERNMENT dictating life and death decisions.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 07:36 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

a SHADOW GOVERNMENT dictating life and death decisions.

Exaggerate much?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 07:49 am
What Critics Don't Understand About Gun Culture

Interesting read considering the source.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 09:16 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Could it be that Trump has found some cojones to stand up to the NRA and by doing so, reminding his congress that they too have been led about by the nose by this unelected government.

Obama had the cojones to stand up to us. The result was his presidency being shattered and Trump being elected.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 09:20 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Even in the Heller decision, Justice Scalia, writing for the majority ,said that "The second amendment is not limitless".

As always, restrictions of a right are allowed only if they can by justified with a very good reason.

No good reason to ban pistol grips.

No good reason to keep someone waiting for days or weeks after their background check has already cleared them.

Restrictions on the size of detachable magazines, presuming the restrictions don't go overboard and make self defense impossible, can be justified with a good reason.

Depriving dangerous people (dangerous for real) of their guns can be justified with a good reason, so long as their due process rights are respected.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 09:48 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Could it be that Trump has found some cojones to stand up to the NRA and by doing so, reminding his congress that they too have been led about by the nose by this unelected government.

not sure what inspired him but it's fascinating

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/01/politics/trump-guns-meeting-analysis/index.html

this could be a clue

Quote:
16. "You went through a lot of Presidents and you didn't get it done. You have a different President."
Remember how much Trump is motivated by his desire to be the first or the best to do something. One of the prime drivers of his desire to get something done on guns is that President Barack Obama failed to enact meaningful change into law following the 2012 school shooting at Sandy Hook elementary school in Connecticut.

17. "It's time that a President stepped up, and we haven't had them."
See #16.
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 10:10 am
@ehBeth,
could be. Theres also m cynical side that says hes playing the ystem knowing what will be accomplished so he can exclaim " laudable ineffectiveness"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 10:16 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
As always, restrictions of a right are allowed only if they can by justified with a very good reason
Ya think runaay gun deaths and mass shootings of kids an weekend showgoers is good enough??

Remember, its only been since the 1970's that the NRA has "played itself" into a role that assures product purchase based on a phony "constitutional imperium".
Your beliefs about your civil rights and other such "reasoning" is nothing but marketing phrases set by Marcia Hammer who writes all the BS bills and gets toady GOPers to carry the water.

oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 10:30 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Ya think runaay gun deaths and mass shootings of kids an weekend showgoers is good enough??

Enough for what? You did not mention what proposal you are trying to justify.

Pistol grips on rifles are not the cause of even one of these murders, so it certainly isn't enough to justify a ban on pistol grips.

farmerman wrote:
Remember, its only been since the 1970's that the NRA has "played itself" into a role that assures product purchase based on a phony "constitutional imperium".
Your beliefs about your civil rights and other such "reasoning" is nothing but marketing phrases set by Marcia Hammer who writes all the BS bills and gets toady GOPers to carry the water.

Wrong. The Second Amendment is a very real part of our legal rights.
sceletera

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 08:27 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

sceletera wrote:
oralloy wrote:
My error about "mental illness" verses "mental disability" does not justify a claim that I've made other untrue statements.

I certainly didn't make that claim.

"Did you deny you were wrong about other things that I have shown you to be wrong about? Yes."
http://able2know.org/topic/131081-70#post-6603457
That statement of mine has nothing to do with all your errors being based on your confusion of mental illness and mental disability. I have pointed out other errors on your part that have nothing to do with that.
Quote:

sceletera wrote:
I listed 4 other instances of you telling untruths with citations of why they were untrue.

So you did make that claim.

sceletera wrote:
None of them relied on your error of "mental illness" versus "mental disability".

In Post: # 6,603,680 I complained about your above-quoted claim about alleged other instances of my being wrong.

In Post: # 6,603,799 you responded to my complaint by repeatedly citing my error about mental illness verses mental disability.
http://able2know.org/topic/131081-70#post-6603799

sceletera wrote:
Here they are again. They stand on their own and clearly point to your statements being untrue according to facts.

My error about "mental illness" verses "mental disability" does not justify a claim that I've made other untrue statements.
You are simply repeating your confusion here. Let's go through the other 4 untruths I pointed out. All of them are proven untrue without even considering mental illness vs mental disability.
Quote:
2.)
oralloy wrote:
No. The rule covered everyone who receives social security checks and can't handle their financials. No limitations to mental illness.

No, the rule did not cover everyone.
Quote:
(4) Has attained age 18, but has not
attained full retirement age; and

ibid. Page 91714
It exempted everyone under 18 and those that had reached retirement age. (Retirement is different based on when a person was born.)
That is even before we get to the other tests for who is adjudicated as a mental defective.

Let me make the statement large so you can see it. Your claim highlighted in blue is untrue because no one over the age 66 or under the age of 18 is subject to the regulation. We can ignore any reference to mental disability or mental illness to prove your statement to be untrue. The fact that you mention mental illness in the next sentence is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the lack of veracity in the blue sentence. "everyone who receives social security checks" was your statement. It is disproven by pointing out a group of people that receive social security checks not subject to the regulation.

Quote:
3.)
oralloy wrote:
Nope. I post facts. You're the one who is ignoring them.
Your statement about the rule covering everyone is clearly not a fact. This comment was referring to that statement.

This is based on #2. Your untrue statement of only posting facts is disproven without relying on your confusion of mental illness and mental disability.

Quote:
4.)
oralloy wrote:
No such focus. It covered people who receive Social Security for any reason, if they do not handle their own finances.

This statement is also not true. The first requirement is
Quote:
(1) Has filed a claim based on
disability;

ibid Page 91714
Only those that have filed a disability claim are covered under the regulation

Once again, your statement, highlighted in blue, about SS recipients is untrue. People receive SS for retirement, survivor benefits, disabilities that are not classified as mental disabilities. Retirees who have not filed for disability would not be covered under the regulation. Survivors under the age of 18 would not be covered. Your statement is untrue for many reasons.

Quote:
sceletera wrote:
Your statement contains 2 untruths. The EO vs executive action confusion is only one of them.

Unless it really was an executive order and you are the one who is wrong.

At the moment it is still unclear which of us is wrong.

It's actually quite clear which of us is correct on this. A search of this website revealed you have not linked to any EO. A search of the Obama EOs reveal there is no EO that deals with SS and guns. Your refusal to provide any supporting evidence for your opinion speaks volumes. Denial in the face of facts doesn't do you any service. There is no question you are wrong on it. Your denial only proves my previous statement to be true about how you will deny you were wrong even when shown you are.

Quote:
sceletera wrote:
You claimed to have repeatedly linked to it. The failure to find any link to whitehouse.gov posted by you shows your statement about linking to it repeatedly to be an untruth.

No. All that shows is that you failed to find my post. It doesn't show that I didn't make the post.
Actually, it does start to prove my point by the weight of the evidence. A search for "whitehouse.gov" reveals many pages of results. A search for "oralloy" reveals many pages of results. A search for "oralloy" & "whitehouse.gov" reveals one page of results and none of the results are you linking to an EO. You deny but don't provide any evidence to back up your denials. It would be easy to prove you have linked to the EO by providing evidence if you had actually done it.

Quote:
sceletera wrote:
If you wish to show this is not an untruth on your part you can falsify it by providing 2 instances of your linking to a statement or an EO by Obama on whitehouse.gov. Those instances must be before today's date and specific about the SS regulation.

True. But I'm not sure I really want to spend a lot of time searching for years-old posts when I can't see why it even matters.

Are you going to pay me for the time I spend searching?
I don't need to pay you. Your failure to do it shows you to be a liar that doesn't care if everyone knows he lied.

hightor

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 08:57 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
"You went through a lot of Presidents and you didn't get it done. You have a different President."

And still may not get it done.

Quote:
On the eve of the Academy Awards, the President put in another great performance. Playing the role of the reasonable listener, thoughtful autocrat he threw his support to reasonable gun control with a little bit of denial of due process. After promising to love those who created a comprehensive gun control bill, humiliating his fellow Republicans and taking credit for his political bravery, he met with the NRA. Apparently he went back to his Make Availability of Guns for America (again). Nothing Trump ever says can be believed. Can he lose his security clearance for lying, revealing secrets to Russians, letting the Chinese and Russians steal our lunch, driving our government into a ditch?

"DO5" — reader's comment NYT
Quote:
It seems that twice in two days, Donald Trump has literally been swayed on the issue of gun control by the last people he talked with. On the first day, his expansiveness about new restrictions was downright bizarre. After having it all publicly unsaid for him by the people he had been with on the second day, he declared their meeting "great".

Now comes his abrupt announcement of tariffs on steel and aluminum immediately after talking with executives in those industries, before his staff had finished studying the matter and against the intense opposition of his chief economic advisor.

This is neither the calculated chaos nor the habitually erratic behavior we've been taught to expect from Trump. It's deterioration.

The Times recently reported that Jared Kushner's troubles and other pressures have been "taking a toll" on the president, if I remember correctly. I believe it, and I'm not jeering. The spectacle that has inspired our derision and anger up to now may be taking a genuinely pathetic turn.

"Longestaffe" — reader's comment op cit
ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 09:03 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
"You went through a lot of Presidents and you didn't get it done. You have a different President."

And still may not get it done.

good thing most of us don't expect anything sane to come from #45 in the long run

still willing to give credit if it does but not expecting anything

(I do like keeping track of the swings - he's got an opinion for everyone)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 09:27 am
The difference here is that there is a growing opinion that the NRA has overstepped its reach. They are losing hold an they know it.
revelette1

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 09:29 am
A new, huge review of gun research has bad news for the NRA (VOX)
Quote:
The findings, while limited, point in one direction: Gun control can save lives.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 09:50 am
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/02/world/international-gun-laws.html

How to Buy a Gun in 15 Countries
By AUDREY CARLSEN and SAHIL CHINOY MARCH 2, 2018

Quote:
Many Americans can buy a gun in less than an hour. In some countries, the process takes months. Here are the basic steps for how most people buy a gun in 15 of them. Many countries have exceptions for specialized professions, and local laws vary.

United States
1Pass an instant background check that includes criminal convictions, domestic violence and immigration status. 2Buy a gun.

Japan
1Join a hunting or shooting club. 2Take a firearm class and pass a written exam, which is held up to three times a year. 3Get a doctor’s note saying you are mentally fit and do not have a history of drug abuse. 4Apply for a permit to take firing training, which may take up to a month. 5Describe in a police interview why you need a gun. 6Pass a review of your criminal history, gun possession record, employment, involvement with organized crime groups, personal debt and relationships with friends, family and neighbors. 7Apply for a gunpowder permit. 8Take a one-day training class and pass a firing test. 9Obtain a certificate from a gun dealer describing the gun you want. 10Buy a gun safe and an ammunition locker that meet safety regulations. 11Allow the police to inspect your gun storage. 12Pass an additional background review. 13Buy a gun.

South Africa
1Join an accredited hunting or shooting club, or document a need for self-defense. 2Complete firearm safety training and pass a written test and practical assessment. 3Give two employers, friends or community leaders as references. 4Get fingerprinted. 5Pass a review of criminal behavior, history of domestic violence and drug abuse and, in some cases, interviews with family and neighbors. 6Buy a gun safe that meets safety regulations. 7Allow police to inspect your storage. 8Wait several months for a federal review of your application. 9Buy a gun.

Mexico
1Get a letter from the local authorities confirming that you do not have a criminal record. 2Submit a letter showing your employment status and pay. 3Pass a background check that considers criminal history, employment and current gun ownership. 4Travel to Mexico City, where the only store authorized to sell guns is located. 5Get fingerprinted. 6Buy a gun.

Australia
1Join and regularly attend a hunting or shooting club, or document that you’re a collector. 2Complete a course on firearm safety and operation, and pass a written test and practical assessment. 3Arrange firearm storage that meets safety regulations. 4Pass a review that considers criminal history, domestic violence, restraining orders and arrest history. Authorities may also interview your family and community members. 5Apply for a permit to acquire a specific type of weapon. 6Wait at least 28 days. 7Buy the specific type of gun you received a permit for.

Austria
1Join a hunting club, or prove you need a gun for self-defense. 2Pass a review of criminal history. 3Fill out a mental health survey, and complete a psychological and physical test. 4Complete a course on safe gun handling and storage. 5Install safe gun storage. 6Allow the police to inspect your gun storage. 7Buy a gun. 8If you bought a rifle or shotgun, wait three days before coming back to pick it up.

Canada
1To buy a handgun, join an accredited shooting club. 2Complete a safety course and pass both a written and a practical test. 3Ask for two references. 4Apply for a permit, and wait 28 days before processing begins. 5Pass a background check that considers your criminal record, mental health, addiction and domestic violence history. 6Buy a gun. If you bought a handgun, register it with the police before taking it home.

India
1Join a shooting club, or show that you or your property are under threat. 2Attend a practical training course on firearm handling and shooting. 3Obtain a certificate of physical and mental health from your doctor. 4Affirm that you have a safe place to keep the firearms. 5Pass a review that considers three years of tax returns, criminal history, mental health history and domestic violence, and includes interviews with you, your family and neighbors. 6Buy a gun.

Germany
1Join a shooting or hunting club, obtain a collector’s license or prove that your life is threatened. 2Demonstrate specialized knowledge of firearms, which may involve a written exam and practical demonstration of safe handling. 3If you’re under 25, submit a certificate of mental fitness from a public health officer or doctor. 4Arrange proper firearm storage. 5Pass a background check that considers criminal history, mental health and drug addiction. 6Apply for a permit to purchase a specific gun, which may include an additional short background review. 7Buy a gun.

Britain
1Join a shooting club, or document hunting arrangements. 2Ask for a character reference. 3Arrange proper firearm storage. 4Pass background check that includes a police interview at your home. They may check your storage arrangements. 5Buy a gun.

Brazil
1Write a statement about why you need a gun for self-defense. 2Complete a course on firearm handling and demonstrate that you can strike a target​ from 16​ and 23​ feet away with ​60 percent accuracy. 3Obtain a statement from an accredited psychologist certifying that you are mentally fit to fire a weapon. 4Obtain a certificate confirming that you have no criminal record​ and are not under criminal investigation. 5Buy a gun. 6Register your gun with federal police. 7Fill out an online form in order to transport your gun. 8Return to the dealer and pick up your gun.

Russia
1Get a hunting license, or explain why you need a gun for self-defense. 2Pass a test of relevant laws, handling and first-aid skills. 3Get a doctor’s note saying you have no mental illness or history of drug abuse. 4Attend a firearm safety and handling class and pass an exam. 5Apply for a license. 6Pass a background check. 7Buy a gun.

Israel
1Join a shooting club, or prove that you live or work in a dangerous area authorized for gun ownership, including certain settlements. 2Get a doctor’s note saying you have no mental illness or history of drug abuse. 3Install a gun safe. 4Release your criminal and mental health history to the authorities. 5Buy a gun and a limited supply of bullets, usually around 50. 6Demonstrate that you can use your gun or a similar gun at a firing range before taking it home.

China
1Establish a specific reason to possess a firearm, such as hunting or sports shooting. 2Arrange to store your gun at a gun range, remote hunting ground or pastoral area. 3Demonstrate knowledge of safe gun use and storage. 4Pass a background check that considers mental illness, criminal record and domestic violence. 5Buy a gun.

more at the link

__

the US - where it's easier to buy a gun than to get a dog from a rescue group
oralloy

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 11:07 am
@sceletera,
Good grief.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 11:10 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The difference here is that there is a growing opinion that the NRA has overstepped its reach.

Only among those who hate the fact that the NRA will not allow them to violate people's civil rights for no reason.

farmerman wrote:
They are losing hold an they know it.

No. Our hold is just fine.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 11:16 am
@ehBeth,
What to know how else the US is different? We actually have a 2nd Amendment. The Constitution is setup to restrict the power of the govt in favor of individual liberty. The Bill of Rights are about Individual rights, not the group rights or how the govt is permitted to restrict the individual, that is the difference between the US and other countries.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 08:18 pm
@revelette1,
Can't you find some credible links?
0 Replies