Guns: how much longer will it take ....

McGentrix

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 10:02 pm
@sceletera,
Do you have a picture of your mom I can use with it?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 11:07 pm
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:
And yet that hasn't stopped you from claiming you know what is in the regulations.

It is pretty clear that anorexia and phobias are listed in the regulations.

sceletera wrote:
Everything after the first section requires a medical diagnosis of being unable to function in some way.

That hardly justifies depriving them of guns.

sceletera wrote:
That is pretty funny.
This is the post where you made the statement.
https://able2know.org/topic/131081-67#post-6601745
You attack farmerman for not being able to point out any error on your part when he points out the same thing you now admit was an error on your part. Is the SS regulation about mental disabilities? Yes or no?

There was a difference between your post and Farmerman's post.

You provided evidence that I indeed was wrong to use the term mental disability instead of mental illness.

All Farmerman provided was a vague and untrue claim that I have a history of arguing against facts.

sceletera wrote:
I am pointing to your statements and giving links to show why they are false. Your denying that the links prove you wrong doesn't make your statements true. It only makes you delusional.

Not when the links prove me right.

Phobias and anorexia are covered by the regulation.
oralloy

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 11:53 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Have you seen him declare, with his typical certainly and bluster, that he has a greater IQ than anyone on this board, and likely anyone he’s met in real life.

If you don't want me to correct the record on my intelligence, then don't go bringing it up.

If you do bring it up, don't go whining when I address the matter.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2018 05:08 pm
There was a podcast released today about how FL really had no good laws to stop the Parkland shooter. It outlines, in detail, how despite the 39 red flags that were reported, legally there was not much the FBI or local police could have done.

Podcast: New York Times, The Daily
Date: 2/27/18

Even Trump admitted that there were no good laws for this kid.
Glennn

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2018 05:27 pm
@maporsche,
You must be on a mission to protect the image of the inept.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2018 05:59 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Actually, some countries appear to be able to deal with guns, and have a high gun ownership rate, without massacring themselves at nearly the rate that Americans do.

The available evidence would suggest that Americans are one of the peoples least able to deal with high gun ownership, and that they ought therefore to be amongst the peoples least able to buy guns unrestricted.

It would be, I suppose, fine if the gun nuts massacred each other...sadly they seem inclined to murder non gun-nuts at an alarming rate.

We can do nothing except hope that, at some stage, US leaders marshall some gonads, and deprive the mad folk of the ability to kill large numbers of innocents in the name of freedom and safety.

Succinct and to the point!
sceletera

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2018 07:44 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

sceletera wrote:
Except you are clearly wrong.

Let me cite some of the examples:
1.) You claimed there was no focus on mental disabilities.

My error about "mental illness" verses "mental disability" does not justify a claim that I've made other untrue statements.
I certainly didn't make that claim. I listed 4 other instances of you telling untruths with citations of why they were untrue. None of them relied on your error of "mental illness" versus "mental disability".

Here they are again. They stand on their own and clearly point to your statements being untrue according to facts.
sceletera wrote:

2.)
oralloy wrote:
No. The rule covered everyone who receives social security checks and can't handle their financials. No limitations to mental illness.

No, the rule did not cover everyone.
Quote:
(4) Has attained age 18, but has not
attained full retirement age; and

ibid. Page 91714
It exempted everyone under 18 and those that had reached retirement age. (Retirement is different based on when a person was born.)
That is even before we get to the other tests for who is adjudicated as a mental defective.

3.)
oralloy wrote:
Nope. I post facts. You're the one who is ignoring them.
Your statement about the rule covering everyone is clearly not a fact. This comment was referring to that statement.

4.)
oralloy wrote:
No such focus. It covered people who receive Social Security for any reason, if they do not handle their own finances.

This statement is also not true. The first requirement is
Quote:
(1) Has filed a claim based on
disability;

ibid Page 91714
Only those that have filed a disability claim are covered under the regulation

5.)
oralloy wrote:
I'm on record repeatedly linking to the executive order when Obama had it on his White House page
Since this is a regulation and not an executive order you couldn't have provided links to an executive order. Executive orders are all listed here:
https://www.federalregister.gov/executive-orders
When asked to point to the specific one, you posted links that use the term executive action which is in no way an Executive Order.
When I do a search for "oralloy" and "whitehouse.gov" which would be in any url linked to the whitehouse nothing comes up other than a link when you are discussing Bibi Netentahu. There are no other instances of you using "whitehouse.gov" on this site. Can you explain how you repeatedly did something that doesn't show up in a simple search?

oralloy wrote:

Is there any significant difference between the two terms?

I'm not convinced that it wasn't an executive order, but if I should have said executive action, so what?

Feel free to explain why it matters whether something is called an executive order as opposed to an executive action.

Your statement contains 2 untruths. The EO vs executive action confusion is only one of them.
You claimed to have repeatedly linked to it. The failure to find any link to whitehouse.gov posted by you shows your statement about linking to it repeatedly to be an untruth. Whether it was an order or action is irrelevant for reaching the conclusion that you did not repeatedly link to the whitehouse website since a search revealed zero times of you making such a link.

If you wish to show this is not an untruth on your part you can falsify it by providing 2 instances of your linking to a statement or an EO by Obama on whitehouse.gov. Those instances must be before today's date and specific about the SS regulation. Otherwise, we have a very clear case of your providing an untruth.

To verify, simply type in "oralloy" "whitehouse.gov" in the search function of this website. There are 10 results on only a single page. Not one result is you linking to the whitehouse website.
sceletera

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2018 07:56 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

sceletera wrote:
No, it doesn't remain valid.

Anorexia and claustrophobia are hardly mental illnesses.

sceletera wrote:
Your point is not valid because the regulations prove you wrong.

The regulations count anorexia and phobias.

This seems to be a common practice on your part. It is a failing of logic.
If the requirement is A, B & C be met before D can occur then all three A, B & C must be met. You see that A is met and then declare the D occurs without testing for B & C.
sceletera

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2018 08:14 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

sceletera wrote:
You are correct, anxiety disorder is listed.

That means you were incorrect when you earlier said:
"Phobias are clearly not covered under the regulation."

Simply having a phobia is not covered under the regulation. Anxiety disorder to the point of inability to function is covered.

Anxiety disorder as a result of phobias is not simply a phobia. Phobias are only covered when they become more than a phobia.

In order for one to be reported to the NICS for a phobia not only must the phobia be so debilitating that one can't work. It must be documented by a doctor. It must be so debilitating that one can't function socially or outside one's home. It must be so debilitating that one can't manage their money and someone else has to do it for them.

sceletera

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2018 08:22 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
There was a difference between your post and Farmerman's post.

You provided evidence that I indeed was wrong to use the term mental disability instead of mental illness.

Farmerman made a statement that was true and correct and you without evidence claimed it was not true.
oralloy wrote:

farmerman wrote:
The Congressional Review act in 2017 was used by Congress , working under recommendations of mr Trump did this:
Quote:
the measure being blocked from implementation would have required the Social Security Administration to send records of some beneficiaries with severe mental disabilities to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System. About 75,000 people found mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs would have been affected.

No it didn't. There was no focus on mental disabilities.

You have spent the last 3 days discussing the mental disabilities in the regulations. The mental disabilities are required before anyone can be reported to the NICS. The statement by Farmerman is correct. Your response is the one that is not true.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-12-19/pdf/2016-30407.pdf
oralloy

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 04:29 am
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:
oralloy wrote:
My error about "mental illness" verses "mental disability" does not justify a claim that I've made other untrue statements.

I certainly didn't make that claim.

"Did you deny you were wrong about other things that I have shown you to be wrong about? Yes."
http://able2know.org/topic/131081-70#post-6603457

sceletera wrote:
I listed 4 other instances of you telling untruths with citations of why they were untrue.

So you did make that claim.

sceletera wrote:
None of them relied on your error of "mental illness" versus "mental disability".

In Post: # 6,603,680 I complained about your above-quoted claim about alleged other instances of my being wrong.

In Post: # 6,603,799 you responded to my complaint by repeatedly citing my error about mental illness verses mental disability.
http://able2know.org/topic/131081-70#post-6603799

sceletera wrote:
Here they are again. They stand on their own and clearly point to your statements being untrue according to facts.

sceletera wrote:
Your statement contains 2 untruths. The EO vs executive action confusion is only one of them.

Unless it really was an executive order and you are the one who is wrong.

At the moment it is still unclear which of us is wrong.

sceletera wrote:
You claimed to have repeatedly linked to it. The failure to find any link to whitehouse.gov posted by you shows your statement about linking to it repeatedly to be an untruth.

No. All that shows is that you failed to find my post. It doesn't show that I didn't make the post.

sceletera wrote:
Whether it was an order or action is irrelevant for reaching the conclusion that you did not repeatedly link to the whitehouse website since a search revealed zero times of you making such a link.

It is relevant however to your complaints about me saying "executive order" when you say I should have said "executive action".

sceletera wrote:
If you wish to show this is not an untruth on your part you can falsify it by providing 2 instances of your linking to a statement or an EO by Obama on whitehouse.gov. Those instances must be before today's date and specific about the SS regulation.

True. But I'm not sure I really want to spend a lot of time searching for years-old posts when I can't see why it even matters.

Are you going to pay me for the time I spend searching?

sceletera wrote:
Otherwise, we have a very clear case of your providing an untruth.

No. We have a clear case of you not finding a post that I made.
oralloy

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 04:32 am
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:
This seems to be a common practice on your part. It is a failing of logic.
If the requirement is A, B & C be met before D can occur then all three A, B & C must be met. You see that A is met and then declare the D occurs without testing for B & C.

No failings, logical or otherwise. I skipped those other steps because they were not relevant to the issue under discussion.

If someone is anorexic to the point of being debilitated, that is not a good reason for depriving them of their guns.

If someone is claustrophobic to the point of being debilitated, that is not a good reason for depriving them of their guns.

That Obama's policy would have done this was shameful and unacceptable. When Trump signed the law overturning it (and forbidding future presidents from resurrecting Obama's shameful policy) it was one of the high points in American civil rights.
oralloy

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 04:34 am
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:
Simply having a phobia is not covered under the regulation. Anxiety disorder to the point of inability to function is covered.

Anxiety disorder as a result of phobias is not simply a phobia. Phobias are only covered when they become more than a phobia.

In order for one to be reported to the NICS for a phobia not only must the phobia be so debilitating that one can't work. It must be documented by a doctor. It must be so debilitating that one can't function socially or outside one's home. It must be so debilitating that one can't manage their money and someone else has to do it for them.

Being claustrophobic to the point of debilitation is not a good reason for depriving someone of their guns.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 04:35 am
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:
Farmerman made a statement that was true and correct

And the only thing he offered to back up his true and correct statement was a logical fallacy and an untrue accusation about me.

sceletera wrote:
and you without evidence claimed it was not true.

A perfectly reasonable response given:

a) my sincere although mistaken belief that his claim was untrue, and

b) Farmerman backing up his claim with nothing but a logical fallacy and an untrue claim about me.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 11:57 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Succinct and to the point!

Not to the point about anything.

Quote:
Actually, some countries appear to be able to deal with guns, and have a high gun ownership rate, without massacring themselves at nearly the rate that Americans do.

This massacre you think is taking place really isn't. Unless you want to count the equal of a mass shooting taking place in the inner cities of the US, then you might have a point. The vast majority of US citizens remain untouched by these massacres.

Quote:
The available evidence would suggest that Americans are one of the peoples least able to deal with high gun ownership, and that they ought therefore to be amongst the peoples least able to buy guns unrestricted.

What available evidence? The misleading "school shooting" numbers that have been published in the last few weeks?
If you actually look at where these crimes take place, it isn't the people you want it to be who are committing all these crimes, and a majority of the guns used, are not obtained by legal means and are not used by people who would normally be allowed to purchase legal guns.

Quote:
It would be, I suppose, fine if the gun nuts massacred each other...sadly they seem inclined to murder non gun-nuts at an alarming rate.

Another meaningless point with no basis in reality. It isn't the "gun nuts" who are killing people in such large #'s and you have no evidence to back up your claim.

Quote:
We can do nothing except hope that, at some stage, US leaders marshall some gonads, and deprive the mad folk of the ability to kill large numbers of innocents in the name of freedom and safety.

What you can actually do is back real laws that actually do something instead of what makes you feel good and that's banning guns.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 05:21 am
@Baldimo,
Could it be that Trump has found some cojones to stand up to the NRA and by doing so, reminding his congress that they too have been led about by the nose by this unelected government.