Guns: how much longer will it take ....

McGentrix

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 06:59 am
@Setanta,
True, but not impaired by the gun. Maybe hate, or fear or drugs or whatever.

Banning guns in America will never happen. I'd suggest spendding the enrgy on trying to change something that may actually benefit from the efforts. Like treating depression, poverty, drugs, crime.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 07:43 am
Although such shootings are crimes, there is no reason to assume that they are caused by crime, or by drugs, and especially not poverty. Who the hell among the genuinely poor can afford an assault rifle? I do not agree that guns cannot be controlled. Why is it always the dishonest claim about guns being banned, and not gun control that people want to discuss? I suspect that is because the people most worried about the issue wish to frame it in hysterical rather than in reasonable terms. I personally have never called for guns to be banned entirely, but I certainly believe in gun control--vigorous and effective gun control.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 09:03 am
@Setanta,
We have gun control. We have a LOT of gun control measures.

What is your idea of gun control? Universal background checks? I agree with that. Felons can't have guns? I believe that's a thing already. Have to be 18?

What further gun control do you believe will work in the US and not infringe on the 2nd amendment? Are you looking for federal regulations or state regulations?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 09:30 am
The Supremes have recognized both the states and Congress as having the right to control firearms. I've already pointed out that people don't need assault rifles. The 1903 Militia Act, which created the National Guard, posited an organized Militia (the National Guard) and an unorganized militia. The United States Army and the United States Air Force supply the National Guard. There is absolutely no reason of national security for assault rifles to be available to the unorganized militia. If you have a mind to quibble about what constitutes an assault rifle, find someone else to discuss that with.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 12:16 pm
@Setanta,
Yes they do and they do quite often. You believe that there is no reason to own an assault rifle and I disagree. I believe there is a reason to own what you would consider an assault rifle,

The word militia is mentioned in the 2nd amendment. However, it is also said that the right of the people, NOT the militia, to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. But it is. Seems you want further infringement.

We disagree on assault rifles. What other things do you think should be done to control the use of fire arms in a crime?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 02:22 pm
All of the second amendment is predicated on a well-regulated militia. The regulation of the militia is provided for in Article One, Section Eight. Clauses 15 and 16 describing the powers of Congress:

[Congress shall have the power]

15. To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions:

16. To provide for organizing, arming and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress:

In The United States versus Miller (1939), the Court upheld the 1934 National Firearms Act. The majority finding was summarized as:

The Court cannot take judicial notice that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, and therefore cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees to the citizen the right to keep and bear such a weapon.

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense.

Furthermore, Mr. Justice McReynolds noted:

With obvious purpose to assure the continuation and render possible the effectiveness of such forces the declaration and guarantee of the Second Amendment were made. It must be interpreted and applied with that end in view.

Therefore, it is perfectly reasonable for Congress, or the states respectively, to determine that a well-regulated militia, of the type described in the 1903 Militia Ace as the unorganized militia, in our contemporary world does not need fully automatic weapons, nor weapons which may be modified to make them fully automatic, or to have the properties of a fully automatic weapon.

I will further note that your participation in a well-regulated militia is contingent upon the constitutional description of participation. That would entail submitting to the discipline prescribed by Congress, under the command of officers appointed by each respective state. That is not consonant with keeping an assault rifle in your closet "just 'cuz I can."

Many people make the argument that the conditions of the late 18th century no longer apply, and that it would be reasonable to make provisions under Congressional authority for dealing with firearms in the contemporary context.

To this I would add that the militia has been a miserable failure in our history in all but a few examples which simply serve as the exceptions which prove the rule that the militia has always been a militarily worthless body, except, of course, for shooting down unarmed civilians. At the battle known as Bunker Hill, no more than 1500 hundred militiamen, whose unit leaders could command their participation, faced the British, while nearly ten thousand stood and looked on. At Princeton, the militia ran from a numerically inferior force of Redcoats, until Washington personally rallied them, and, shaming them as citizens of his own state, lead them back into the battle. At Guilford Courthouse and Cowpens, Greene and Morgan respectively counted on the militia running, and determined their tactical arrangements based on that assumption. At Queenston Heights in 1812, not only did most of New York militia refuse to cross the Niagara River, most those who had soon got in the boats to cross back to the New York side, pushing the wounded aside so that they could get in the boats. At Bladensburg in 1814, as General Ross marched on Washington, which he would set alight the next day, 7000 militia faced no more than 5000 Redcoats, of which only about 2000 were actually engaged. The militia ran, many of them throwing their weapons away. Fewer than 500 sailors and Marines held off the British until the sun went down, giving Madison time to evacuate the capital with the government and its records. One British officer wrote home that the sailors and Marines ". . . served the guns even after we had shot down all of the officers and were among them with the bayonet." After the War of 1812, no one made the mistake of counting on the militia when it really mattered.

Constitutional amendments themselves get amended, it has happened many times. It would do no violence to our history, or our good sense to recognize that no militia, until organized by the 1903 Militia Act as the National Guard, has had a military efficiency sufficient to assure the security of our free state. About the only reason I can see that the second amendment has not itself been amended or repealed is NRA money and the electoral cowardice of politicians. You may think what you will, I have nothing further to say on the subject.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 11:04 pm
@Setanta,
Well, if you have nothing else to say about it, then I shall have the last word.

What military did the US have when the US Constitution was written?

If we look at Article One, Section eight, clause 11, it states: To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

Seems like a militia might be needed by the US in the future. Good foresight on their part.

The 1934 National Firearms Act was revised by the Gun Control Act of 1968, though a lot of that junk remained therein. The GCA was a reactionary effect of JFK's death, followed by MLK (do I need to add Jr?) and RFK.

I agree that no one needs a shotgun with a barrel length less than 18". But, there are a bunch of pistols that will do similar damage with shorter barrels. But, they also have another purpose. If you think I am arguing against any gun control, you are tilting at windmills. I am a big fan of criminals not having access to weapons of any nature. But, being criminals, they don't seem to follow whatever law might be made to keep them from using weapons.

The only people really effected by gun control legislation is the law abiding citizens of the country. But they aren't criminals. Why should their rights be curtailed? We can't allow prior restraint to run a free nation.

None of my weapons are fully automatic weapons, nor are they weapons which may be modified to make them fully automatic.

Here is the trouble: "or to have the properties of a fully automatic weapon."

Which features? A barrel? A trigger? A pistol grip? A barrel shroud?

Which features do you mean or do you think the law makers intended that to mean? Ah, ****. You were done here. Dangit! I will never know now.

Heller did a good job answering some of these questions.

BTW, my dog is cuter than Setanta's and because he is done here will never be able to say otherwise.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 11:42 am
GOP congresswoman: No need for more gun violence research, the NRA has us covered(TP)

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 02:20 pm
Well, I did see your last remark as I was scrollinjg down. Bella died a week ago, so everybody's dogs are cuter.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 06:37 am
Quote:
Two women have been killed and five others injured after a gunman opened fire in a Florida hot yoga studio.

Scott Paul Beierle killed Nancy Van Vessem, 61, and Maura Binkley, 21, after entering the studio in Tallahassee at 17:37 local time (21:37 GMT) on Friday, police say.

The 40-year-old then apparently turned the gun on himself, Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo told reporters.

Beierle's motive for "this heinous act" is not known at this time, he added.

Mr DeLeo said his officers responded to reports of the shooting at Tallahassee Hot Yoga within "three, three-and-a-half minutes", by which time Beierle was already dead.

A number of other victims received gunshot wounds, while one person was pistol-whipped.

"There are indications that several people inside fought back and tried to not only save themselves but other people, which is a testament to their courage," Mr DeLeo said.

Two of the victims remain in hospital, while three others have been treated and released.

Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum - who is currently running as the Democratic candidate for Florida governor - said he would be cutting short a campaign event and returning to the city.

"No act of gun violence is acceptable," he said. "I'm in close communication with law enforcement officials and will be returning to Tallahassee tonight."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46082316
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 11:57 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
NRATV, the National Rifle Association’s broadcast outlet, completely ignored news of an apparently racially motivated shooting at a Kroger grocery store in Kentucky that debunked the already discredited “good guy with a gun” myth and left two dead.
If it's been debunked and discredited, then I guess we can disarm and disband the police?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 11:58 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
If I did a hit piece on the NRA (the leaders not maybe it's members), it is because I believe they are hugely responsible for many in congress to be against sensible gun laws.
Why do people who oppose civil rights always claim common sense?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 11:59 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Who the hell among the genuinely poor can afford an assault rifle?
If we lift import controls, poor people will be able to buy an AK-47 for $35.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 12:02 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The Supremes have recognized both the states and Congress as having the right to control firearms.
Their ruling allowing federal gun control was constitutional nonsense.

But anyway, the Second Amendment limits the degree of control regardless of which level of government is trying to exercise it. Control is only allowed if it can be justified with a good reason.

Setanta wrote:
I've already pointed out that people don't need assault rifles.
Constitutionally, it doesn't matter whether people need them. Since there is no justification for banning them, the Second Amendment protects our right to have them.

Setanta wrote:
The 1903 Militia Act, which created the National Guard, posited an organized Militia (the National Guard) and an unorganized militia. The United States Army and the United States Air Force supply the National Guard. There is absolutely no reason of national security for assault rifles to be available to the unorganized militia.
That doesn't matter. What matters is the fact that there is no justification for banning them.

Setanta wrote:
If you have a mind to quibble about what constitutes an assault rifle, find someone else to discuss that with.
I assume that you are referring to the semi-auto weapons that are referred to as assault weapons by various gun control laws.
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 12:05 pm
@oralloy,
Scalia, in long piece of writing for the majority in Heller, stated emphatically that "there are several ways to control firearms that dont affect 2 (I paraphrase of course).
oralloy

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 12:06 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
All of the second amendment is predicated on a well-regulated militia.
That is incorrect. The Second Amendment protects a preexisting right which has covered the private ownership of weapons for the past 2600 years.

Setanta wrote:
The regulation of the militia is provided for in Article One, Section Eight. Clauses 15 and 16 describing the powers of Congress:

[Congress shall have the power]

15. To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions:

16. To provide for organizing, arming and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress:

In The United States versus Miller (1939), the Court upheld the 1934 National Firearms Act. The majority finding was summarized as:

The Court cannot take judicial notice that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, and therefore cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees to the citizen the right to keep and bear such a weapon.

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense.

Furthermore, Mr. Justice McReynolds noted:

With obvious purpose to assure the continuation and render possible the effectiveness of such forces the declaration and guarantee of the Second Amendment were made. It must be interpreted and applied with that end in view.
Agreed.

Setanta wrote:
Therefore, it is perfectly reasonable for Congress, or the states respectively, to determine that a well-regulated militia, of the type described in the 1903 Militia Ace as the unorganized militia, in our contemporary world does not need fully automatic weapons, nor weapons which may be modified to make them fully automatic, or to have the properties of a fully automatic weapon.
That is incorrect. The Second Amendment prevents Congress from preventing disarming militiamen.

Any member of the militia has the right to go to court and demand any military weapon they want, even Stinger Missiles.

Setanta wrote:
I will further note that your participation in a well-regulated militia is contingent upon the constitutional description of participation. That would entail submitting to the discipline prescribed by Congress, under the command of officers appointed by each respective state. That is not consonant with keeping an assault rifle in your closet "just 'cuz I can."
True.

But the right to have assault rifles is not connected to militia membership. The reason why people have the right to have assault rifles is because there is no justification for banning them.

We only need to assert militia membership if we want things like bazookas and machine guns.

Setanta wrote:
Many people make the argument that the conditions of the late 18th century no longer apply, and that it would be reasonable to make provisions under Congressional authority for dealing with firearms in the contemporary context.
People have the right to waste all of their energy fighting the NRA if they wish.

Setanta wrote:
About the only reason I can see that the second amendment has not itself been amended or repealed is NRA money and the electoral cowardice of politicians.
The reason is because Americans value their freedom and will never give it up.
oralloy

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 12:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Scalia, in long piece of writing for the majority in Heller, stated emphatically that "there are several ways to control firearms that dont affect 2 (I paraphrase of course).
Yes. If a control can be justified with a good reason, and is not so restrictive that it prevents people from defending themselves, it passes muster with the Second Amendment.

Bans on assault weapons fail that test. They cannot be justified with a good reason.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 12:13 pm
@oralloy,
heres what Scalia actually said in a speech reviewing the ruling in Heller

Quote:
So let’s turn to an undisputed conservative – one who opposes abortion, same-sex marriage, affirmative action and so many other liberal agenda items. Is it possible to define the kinds of weapons that should not be in civilian hands, and does regulating them violate the Second Amendment?

Here is Justice Antonin Scalia, writing the majority opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller, in which the Supreme Court reversed a long-held position and ruled that the Second Amendment did give Americans an individual right to own firearms. The court said the District’s ban on handguns in private homes went too far, but that regulation of gun ownership was compatible with the Second Amendment:

“We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. ‘Miller’ said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those ‘in common use at the time.’ 307 U.S., at 179, 59 S.Ct. 816. We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of ‘dangerous and unusual weapons.’”

Justice Scalia also wrote:

“It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful in military service — M-16 rifles and the like — may be banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said, the conception of the militia at the time of the Second Amendment’s ratification was the body of all citizens capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as effective as militias in the 18th century, would require sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at large. Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks. But the fact that modern developments have limited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right.”

The prefatory clause to which the justice refers, of course, is the one about “a well-regulated militia.” The AR-15, used in San Bernardino, is an M-16 knockoff.

So rather than saying “assault weapons,” in the future perhaps we should say “the kinds of weapons that Justice Antonin Scalia has defined as ‘dangerous and unusual’ and subject to regulation or an outright ban under the Second Amendment.”
oralloy

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 01:05 pm
@farmerman,
So in other words, gun control is allowed only if it can be justified with a good reason and does not prevent people from defending themselves.
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 02:00 pm
@oralloy,
I didnt think youd need me to translate what Justice Scalia said.