Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 01:59 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Article One, Section Eight, has a paragraph which reads: [Congress shall have the power] . . . To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress; . This gives Congress the right to legislate gun control laws,
Not exactly. This power never applied to non-militia weapons to begin with.

And then the Second Amendment stripped away the government's power to disarm the militia.

Setanta wrote:
including the restriction on who may participate in the militia. In The United States versus Miller, the Supremes upheld the National Fire Arms act of 1934, commenting in the majority opinion: The Court cannot take judicial notice that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, and therefore cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees to the citizen the right to keep and bear such a weapon.

Both gun control advocates and gun nuts claim that that decision supports their positions. However, the gun lobby is pointedly ignoring the Militia Act of 1903. That act, and its subsequent amendments established the National Guard, and defined all those who were not members of State or Federal National Guards as the unorganized militia. That leaves the Congress free to regulate that unorganized militia based on their power to organize the militia.
Such regulations would not cover non-militia guns.

Setanta wrote:
The most pernicious influence of the gun debate is the National Rifle Association, which pours millions into congressional campaigns, especially for the House. Most members of the House will not buck the power of the NRA, because those who are not gun nuts don't care, and those who are will join the NRA in actively campaigning against any candidate who does not pass their sniff test.
Hardly pernicious. The freedom haters don't like that Americans vote for politicians who defend and protect our civil rights. But the defense of freedom is actually a good thing.

Setanta wrote:
Nevertheless, Congress could, if they had the collective balls, regulate membership in both the organized and unorganized militia to exclude the mentally, and the other categories you have mentioned.
Membership in the militia does not have any impact on the right to have non-militia weapons however.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 01:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Planned Parenthood is about so much more than abortion

Bullshit.
oralloy

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 02:02 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Hi Setanta, I'm aware of the first part of the clause - I posted it in this thread before, talking about how it introduced subjectivity. However in my above post, I posted only the 2nd part, because that is the only part our other posters bother posting, presenting it as an absolute truth.
No subjectivity was introduced.

The Founding Fathers were worried that a future government would establish a standing army and then say that there was no longer any need to have a militia, so they created a requirement that the government always maintain a militia, even if they also have a standing army.

This requirement became the first half of the Second Amendment.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 02:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
It is a terrible idea to keep cutting its funding.

Planned Parenthood is not a govt agency, they have no right to taxpayer funding.

Quote:
Ample money could be had by simply taxing the rich and putting the military on a realistic budget.

Tax the rich so that we can give more money to a non-govt agency? Sorry to tell you, but funding the military is actually in the Constitution, funding PP is part of a liberal want list.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 02:16 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Planned Parenthood is about so much more than abortion

Bullshit.

You know only the propaganda about it. My daughter was served by Planned Parenthood, without whose help she would have struggled through her pregnancy. Her son just turned 21 last week. Planned Parenthood gave her help and not once mentioned abortion to her. But you people who have to divide humanity by ideologies rather than what is needed and actually works have to turn even the good to **** if it feeds your need for meaning in life.
vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 02:54 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Laws are allowed to restrict a right if there is a very good reason for that restriction and if the constraint is not so severe that it prevents the exercise of the right.
That certainly does not gel with 'shall not be infringed'. In fact, what you are saying is the complete opposite of the meaning of 'shall not be infringed'.

Essentially what you are saying is it is no longer an absolute truth, but subject to the above...in other words, it is now subjective.
oralloy

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 03:02 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
That certainly does not gel with 'shall not be infringed'. In fact, what you are saying is the complete opposite of the meaning of 'shall not be infringed'.
I see no contradiction.

vikorr wrote:
Essentially what you are saying is it is no longer an absolute truth, but subject to the above...in other words, it is now subjective.
No. It is an absolute truth that any restriction on guns that can't be justified is unconstitutional in America.

It is also an absolute truth that any restriction on guns that impedes self defense is unconstitutional in America.
vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 03:12 pm
@oralloy,
Perhaps you want to start looking into the definition of the word 'infringe. It means : encroach, breach, break a rule etc. Shall not be infringed means :shall not encroach, breach, break etc. To restrict, as you suggest, is an encroachment, breaches the right to bear arms.

What you suggest is the clear opposite of the meaning of 'shall not be infringed'.

Quote:
It is also an absolute truth that any restriction on guns that impedes self defense is unconstitutional in America.
This isn't what you said when you said you can restrict certain people from having such guns.
oralloy

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 03:23 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Perhaps you want to start looking into the definition of the word 'infringe. It means : encroach, breach, break a rule etc. Shall not be infringed means :shall not encroach, breach, break etc. To restrict, as you suggest, is an encroachment, breaches the right to bear arms.
When it comes to the facet of the Second Amendment that deals with self defense, a restriction is only an encroachment if it impedes self defense.

Restrictions that do not impede self defense, do not encroach on this facet of the Second Amendment.

vikorr wrote:
What you suggest is the clear opposite of the meaning of 'shall not be infringed'.
If a restriction does not violate the right, there is no infringement.

vikorr wrote:
oralloy wrote:
This isn't what you said when you said you can restrict certain people from having such guns.
People can only be deprived of their rights in America if there is a good reason for doing so, and only if due process is observed.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 03:26 pm
@oralloy,
He's trying to get you in a logic trap. You either believe in everyone having a gun or you don't believe what you say about the public having a gun. He's trying to push the views into the extreme one way or the other, he isn't trying to have a real discussion on the subject.
vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 03:29 pm
@Baldimo,
Actually, Oralloy is the one who set it up as an absolute truth, with no subjectivity whatsoever, not me.

If there is a logical trap, it's only of his own making.

His view prevents 'real discussion'. So it needs to be discussed before anything else can be.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 03:34 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Sure, so prisoners get assaulted all the time, and rapes aren't uncommon in prisons. They therefore need guns for self defence.

And all the other people who I asked 'should they be allowed to have guns' are at no less need of self defence as the ordinary citizen. Some, like standover merchants, drug dealers, and street gangs would likely be at greater risk of assault.

Quote:
If a restriction does not violate the right, there is no infringement

Well, in this case, we aren't talking about licencing etc, but about certain people not being allowed guns / or being allowed guns.
oralloy

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 03:52 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Sure, so prisoners get assaulted all the time, and rapes aren't uncommon in prisons. They therefore need guns for self defence.
These people were deprived of their rights through due process.

vikorr wrote:
And all the other people who I asked 'should they be allowed to have guns' are at no less need of self defence as the ordinary citizen. Some, like standover merchants, drug dealers, and street gangs would likely be at greater risk of assault.
If these people were convicted of a crime (deprived of their rights through due process) then they may be prevented from having guns.

If not, then they do in fact have the right to have a gun powerful enough to be suitable for self defense, and I defend their right to have such guns.
vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 03:54 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
When it comes to the facet of the Second Amendment that deals with self defense, a restriction is only an encroachment if it impedes self defense.

Restrictions that do not impede self defense, do not encroach on this facet of the Second Amendment.
By the way, where did you get this part about self defense from? I don't see it in the 2nd ammendment
vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 03:56 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
These people were deprived of their rights through due process

Alright, so you are saying the 2nd ammendment no longer absolute - you can breach it through due process.

Yet I'm wondering where you got that from concept from, as this is the one ammendent (if I get this right from other posters) that says 'shall not be infringed'.
oralloy

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 04:14 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
By the way, where did you get this part about self defense from? I don't see it in the 2nd ammendment
The Second Amendment only protects a preexisting right from infringement. It does not define the right, as it had already been defined long before.

The self defense aspect comes from the courts that originally applied the right after it was written in the 1689 English Bill of Rights.

Rex v. Gardner (1739): "And they do not extend to prohibit a man from keeping a gun for his necessary defence, but only from making that forbidden use of it. And the word 'gun' being purposely omitted in this act, the defendant is not within the penalty."

Mallock v. Eastley (1744): "the mere having a gun was no offense within the game laws, for a man may keep a gun for the defence of his house and family."

Wingfield v. Stratford (1752): "It is not to be imagined, that it was the Intention of the Legislature, in making the 5 Ann.c.14 to disarm all the People of England. As Greyhounds, Setting Dogs ... are expressly mentioned in that Statute, it is never necessary to alledge, that any of these have been used for killing or destroying the Game; and the rather, as they can scarcely be kept for any other Purpose than to kill or destroy the Game. But as Guns are not expressly mentioned in that Statute, and as a Gun may be kept for the Defence of a Man's House, and for divers other lawful Purposes, it was necessary to alledge, in order to its being comprehended within the Meaning of the Words 'any other Engines to kill the Game', that the Gun had been used for killing the Game."

Rex v. Dewhurst (1820): "A man has a clear right to arms to protect himself in his house. A man has a clear right to protect himself when he is going singly or in a small party upon the road where he is travelling or going for the ordinary purposes of business. But I have no difficulties in saying you have no right to carry arms to a public meeting, if the number of arms which are so carried are calculated to produce terror and alarm."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 04:16 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Alright, so you are saying the 2nd ammendment no longer absolute - you can breach it through due process.
No. A person cannot be deprived of their rights without due process. That is absolute.

vikorr wrote:
Yet I'm wondering where you got that from concept from, as this is the one ammendent (if I get this right from other posters) that says 'shall not be infringed'.
It comes from the Magna Carta.

"No man of what state or condition he be, shall be put out of his lands or tenements nor taken, nor disinherited, nor put to death, without he be brought to answer by due process of law."
vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 04:28 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
No. A person cannot be deprived of their rights without due process.

Uh, that is exactly the same thing.

Quote:
It comes from the Magna Carta.

"No man of what state or condition he be, shall be put out of his lands or tenements nor taken, nor disinherited, nor put to death, without he be brought to answer by due process of law."

I don’t see any mention of guns there – or are you saying it's subjective and you can add guns in?

It still doesn’t gel with ‘shall not be infringed’

By the way, thanks for rest in your replies. They were quite interesting.
vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 04:29 pm
@vikorr,
By the way, you still haven't properly answered my question from previously. It appeared you had, but then you went on to apparently contradict yourself
Quote:
So if your 2nd ammendment isn't a subjective truth, why not advocate for:
- prisoners to all have guns
- psychotic people to have guns
- severe paranoid schizophrenics to have guns
- domestically violent people to have guns
- standover merchants to have legally have guns
- all street gangs to legally and freely possess guns
- all drug dealers, and drug dealing organisations to legally and freely possess guns
- all people intending to shoot up a school to legally and freely have a gun

This was your response
oralloy wrote:
Laws are allowed to restrict a right if there is a very good reason for that restriction and if the constraint is not so severe that it prevents the exercise of the right.
But then you went on to say the following things:
Quote:

Quote:
No. It is an absolute truth that any restriction on guns that can't be justified is unconstitutional in America.

Quote:
When it comes to the facet of the Second Amendment that deals with self defense, a restriction is only an encroachment if it impedes self defense. Restrictions that do not impede self defense, do not encroach on this facet of the Second Amendment.

Quote:
People can only be deprived of their rights in America if there is a good reason for doing so, and only if due process is observed.

Quote:
If these people were convicted of a crime (deprived of their rights through due process) then they may be prevented from having guns.note: this was said in relation to a question about prisoners

If not, then they do in fact have the right to have a gun powerful enough to be suitable for self defense, and I defend their right to have such guns.

So it appears that your initial response only applies to prisoners? And the rest should have guns? That only appears to be the case, but may not be, hence the question.
Glennn

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 04:54 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
Your responses so far have been displaying what I said about our brain filtering things, and how we interpret things based on our beliefs/values/experiences etc.

Uh huh. Sure. And your responses so far have demonstrated perfectly what I've said about you not being willing to state your position on the subject, and then offer a logical argument to support that position?
Quote:
Your question isn't specific enough. Which part of the subject.

The part of the subject that you take a position on. You can start by telling your position specifically.