Guns: how much longer will it take ....

Baldimo

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 05:30 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
Sure, so prisoners get assaulted all the time, and rapes aren't uncommon in prisons. They therefore need guns for self defence.

No they don't, they are surrounded by fences and guards with guns. They are better protected than the local school. I've never entered a prison but from what I understand there are several layers of security between them and the general public, the same can't be said for a local school, which might have a guard or 2 depending on their size, but no other security measures.
It's sad when our prisoners have better protection than our school kids.

Quote:
And all the other people who I asked 'should they be allowed to have guns' are at no less need of self defence as the ordinary citizen. Some, like standover merchants, drug dealers, and street gangs would likely be at greater risk of assault.

Really? This is what passes for logic? Drug dealers and street gangs? "Standover merchant", I had to look up, it's Aussie slang for a thief? As long as they are not convicted felon's and not in the active commission of a crime, they have the same right to self-defense weapons as any person. There have already been cases of un-convicted drug dealers who have been freed on self-defense claims when another drug dealer tried to kill them. There are laws about having weapons during the commission of a crime, having a weapon of defense when breaking into someone's home isn't defense, it's offense, which illegal. In fact a majority of pro-gun people support additional jail time for people who use a gun during a crime.

Quote:
Well, in this case, we aren't talking about licencing etc, but about certain people not being allowed guns / or being allowed guns.

When it comes who can and can't have guns, it is the general public who is allowed to have guns and that is how I read "shall not be infringed". The populace in general shall not be restricted from exercising the 2nd Amendment. The entire Constitution was written with the general population in mind, hence the reason laws are written to prevent people from doing things and the laws written must be balanced against the rights of the general population and restricting guns from people who meet certain guidelines that disqualify them from exercising that and other rights.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 05:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
rather than what is needed and actually works have to turn even the good to **** if it feeds your need for meaning in life.

Life has everything to do with this, glad you noticed. Anyway you spin it they are an abortion mill. If they were not, they would not object to what Trump just did.

It is nice that they helped your daughter, but I think she is an exception to the rule when it comes to PP.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 05:42 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Uh huh. Sure. And your responses so far have demonstrated perfectly what I've said about you not being willing to state your position on the subject, and then offer a logical argument to support that position?

He thinks he's playing the role of the absolutist when in fact he's trying to play "gotcha game".

He doesn't have the basic understanding of the founding principles behind the Constitution or the reasons behind the Bill of Rights, he likely hasn't read the Federalist or Anti-Federalists papers. There needs to be a basic understanding
of our history to understand the care and concern with which the founding documents were written, he will continue to play some logic game of what this or that means.
vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 05:55 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Uh huh. Sure. And your responses so far have demonstrated perfectly what I've said about you not being willing to state your position on the subject, and then offer a logical argument to support that position?
Funny that you haven't asked a specific question as requested. The subject is quite broad, as can be seen from the length of this thread.
vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 05:58 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
He thinks he's playing the role of the absolutist when in fact he's trying to play "gotcha game".
You are coming across as very dense. My position is very clearly that these things are subjective. The use of the absolute is only made because oralloy insists that it is absolute - and done so to demonstrate the nonexistence of absolute truths.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 05:59 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
Funny that you haven't asked a specific question as requested.

Sure I did. I said to you, "In this case, freedom equals the right to have a gun for self protection. Do you care to argue that point?" And you offered no response. So let's start off where you failed to the Max to respond. Tell me your position on my right to own a gun for home protection.
vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 06:24 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
No they don't, they are surrounded by fences and guards with guns. They are better protected than the local school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_rape_in_the_United_States

Quote:
Prison rape commonly refers to the rape of inmates in prison by other inmates or prison staff. In 2001, Human Rights Watch estimated that at least 140,000 inmates had been raped while incarcerated in the United States.[1] A United States Department of Justice report, Sexual Victimization in Prisons and Jails Reported by Inmates, states that "In 2011–12, an estimated 4.0% of state and federal prison inmates and 3.2% of jail inmates reported experiencing one or more incidents of sexual victimization by another inmate or facility staff in the past 12 months or since admission to the facility, if less than 12 months."

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/02/09/us/inmate-violence-is-on-rise-as-federal-prisons-change.html

Quote:
According to the bureau, 11 inmates were killed by fellow prisoners at its Federal penitentiaries in the fiscal year that ended last Sept. 30,
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 06:31 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Sure I did. I said to you, "In this case, freedom equals the right to have a gun for self protection. Do you care to argue that point?" And you offered no response. So let's start off where you failed to the Max to respond. Tell me your position on my right to own a gun for home protection.

Thank you for clarifying, because you previously only said 'the subject'. I have no general issue with owning a gun for home protection.

If that is not specific enough for you - as I've made abundantly clear, my position is subjective. If you care to offer a very specific example (ie. a scenario), I can give you what I think is right.
Glennn

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 06:39 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
If you care to offer a very specific example (ie. a scenario), I can give you what I think is right.

But I just did that. I offered you the scenario in which I have a gun for personal home protection. And you agree that I have that right. Very good!
oralloy

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 06:41 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Uh, that is exactly the same thing.
A right that absolutely cannot be removed without due process is an absolute right.

vikorr wrote:
I don’t see any mention of guns there – or are you saying it's subjective and you can add guns in?
It applies to all rights.

vikorr wrote:
It still doesn’t gel with ‘shall not be infringed’
Removing a right through due process is not an infringement.

vikorr wrote:
By the way, thanks for rest in your replies. They were quite interesting.
You're welcome.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 06:42 pm
@Glennn,
I thought you must have had a more specific question in mind as I've already said I have no general issue with gun ownership.
oralloy

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 06:42 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
So it appears that your initial response only applies to prisoners? And the rest should have guns? That only appears to be the case, but may not be, hence the question.
It does not apply only to prisoners. It applies to anyone who has had their rights removed through due process.

Anyone convicted of a dangerous crime, for example. Or anyone who has been involuntarily committed to a mental asylum by a court.

However, if someone has not been convicted of a dangerous crime or been involuntarily committed by a court, then they retain their rights.

There have been recent proposals for legislation that will allow people to be temporarily disarmed if they exhibit danger signs. Whether such laws will pass constitutional muster will depend on how well they respect due process.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 06:57 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
I thought you must have had a more specific question in mind

No, I asked you if you had an argument against owning a gun for personal protection, and you say you do not. So, what is your argument for the right to own a gun for personal home protection if someone challenged that right?
vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 07:23 pm
@Glennn,
I could make argument both ways. Would I care to make the case with someone? Not particularly, because once again such things are subjective, which is why I have no general issue with gun ownership.

As a minor example though:

For:
- people have the right to feel safe in their own home
- people who break into others homes should not have any rights
- if the government fails to protect it's citizens in their own home, then the citizen should have the right to protect themselves
-etc

Against:
- it's the role of government to keep it's people safe
- no one should be executed by a citizen for committing a crime - that too is the role of government
- it opens a defence for people like Oscar Pistorius
- etc

But again, would I actually care to make the argument? Not particularly. To me that's very subjective. My interest in having regulations keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, the mentally ill (dangerous type), etc.
Glennn

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 07:40 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
- it's the role of government to keep it's people safe
- no one should be executed by a citizen for committing a crime - that too is the role of government

Yeah but ya know, the thing is, the government isn't there when someone invades your home and puts you and your family in danger, are they? So that's not a very good argument against having a gun for personal home protection.

Also, it's not an execution. It's putting a stop to someone who has invaded your home. It's an emergency situation. One of Maccabee's signitures at the bottom of his posts says it best. "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." So that's not a very good argument against having a gun for personal home protection either.
vikorr

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 07:47 pm
@Glennn,
We can mostly agree - nothing you say is particularly controversial to me.
oralloy

Reply Wed 23 May, 2018 06:44 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
- it opens a defence for people like Oscar Pistorius
Why is that a problem?

If a killing isn't intentional, then it is proper that it be regarded as unintentional.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 May, 2018 07:05 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

We can mostly agree - nothing you say is particularly controversial to me.

Try talking about the Holocaust.
Glennn

Reply Wed 23 May, 2018 07:31 am
@izzythepush,
Aw, poor izzy. His exchanges with me left him feeling like an intellectual midget; so much so that he's created the illusion for himself that I am a holocaust denier when I've never said such a thing.

Izzy, if you don't like the way this gun debate is going, then come on in and make your point. When you attempt to deflect the focus of the topic, it leaves people with the idea that you're a simple, simple little troll trying to make more of yourself than is really there. And who could blame you?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 23 May, 2018 10:07 am
Quote:
'Extreme Risk' Gun Bill to Be Debated at Mass. State House

A bill that would allow for the temporary removal of firearms from people who are considered
"high risk" is scheduled for debate Wednesday in the Massachusetts House.

Supporters of the legislation say the proposed bill will help make Massachusetts communities
safer and prevent future mass shootings. Opponents say the legislation would confiscate guns
while not dealing with mental health concerns.

Critics are urging lawmakers to vote against the bill.

"They actually changed the title of the bill. The title of the bill was about extreme risk protection
order, suicide prevention. They changed the bill title to it’s an act relative to firearms," said Jim
Wallace, Executive Director of Gun Owners’ Action League.

Under the measure, a relative or local police officer could petition a court for an extreme risk
protection order if they believe a legal gun owner is exhibiting dangerous or unstable behavior.

Democratic Rep. Marjorie Decker, the lead sponsor of the so-called "red flag" bill, calls it a
"measured and reasonable approach" to help save lives.

"If you think someone in your home is going to kill themselves, hurt themselves or hurt other
people with their gun, my law, once it's passed, will allow the court to access evidence, decide
whether or not that’s true and separate someone from their guns," Decker said.
(source)

so proud to live in a state that is trying to fix this...

0 Replies