Guns: how much longer will it take ....

coldjoint

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 05:54 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
when some old douche writes it into the bill of rights

Where is my flag? That is most patriotic thing you have ever said. Your respect for the founders is unrivaled.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 06:44 pm
Texas school where 10 died was ‘hardened target’ with two armed guards — school board says ‘policies and procedures worked’

https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32817973_2025266807711576_5625999049967534080_n.png?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeFqQQ7hJBAHOnYfnXsSF3GdYw4RwLcGMwCy8gZhDouXr1k8cG3yj26WT1CKbOunTxLXbx7DsD1WrcNnPT4s9d6fNq0OakQL1lv8fzQNHy_7Yw&oh=b0fe4270d2fa958314cfddc4cc540c11&oe=5B8812AA
coldjoint

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 06:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Shouldn't you just say faith without works is dead? Some people still work.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 09:31 pm
@vikorr,
I'm curious. If you own a gun in Australia, are you subject to random inspections to ensure that your gun is locked up in a safe?
vikorr

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 10:00 pm
@Glennn,
Yes.
Glennn

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 10:06 pm
@vikorr,
Are you ever notified by an inspector that you are going to be inspected?
vikorr

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 10:16 pm
@Glennn,
Some times / some are - not sure if everyone is. They're not particularly common.

Why don't you ask the questions in one hit. Much easier.
Glennn

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 10:26 pm
@vikorr,
I'm debating someone on another forum. They said that gun owners in Australia are subject to surprise inspections. They also said that the authorities sometimes give notification of such inspections. This didn't make sense to me since notification of an inspection is counterproductive and really defeats the purpose of the inspection.

I'm sorry for asking you two questions that could have been asked in the first post. I promise I'll be more economical with my postings in the future. :-)

And in the spirit of that economical consideration, I should use this post to also ask you if you consider such random inspections an invasion of privacy. I mean, what if you were a marijuana smoker and had just finished a joint, and then came the knock on the door by the gun inspector?
vikorr

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 10:45 pm
@Glennn,
I'm probably the wrong person to ask about 'invasion of privacy'. Many things people consider an invasion of privacy, I don't.

For example, in this context, I wouldn't because you obtain the licence knowing about such inspections, and they aren't particularly common. And if no inspections were done, regulation (ie requiring gun safes) would be a toothless tool.

If you changed that context to 'random' inspections 3 times a year, then I would consider it a clear invasion of privacy.

By the way, in relation to the person you are debating in another forum - regulations vary someone from State to State (as I'm sure it does there), as weapons licencing are handled by each State. There may be overarching Federal legislation (our Constitution is mostly is about our system of government, and part of it requires State legislation to be not contradict Federal Legislation)
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 10:50 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
This didn't make sense to me since notification of an inspection is counterproductive and really defeats the purpose of the inspection.
I'm pretty sure the reason is that the very vast majority are compliant with the regulations. If it were starting to be found that, for example, guns were being stolen from break and enters (burglaries), and the safes weren't being damaged...then the focus would probably shift to true random inspections.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 12:03 am
@coldjoint,
Quote coldjoint:
Quote:
Re: Blickers (Post 6646827)
Quote:
[quote]Quote:
The "We need guns to fight the New World Order, (sometimes referred to as the Evil Zionist Rothschild New World Order), is coming to get us" is a big part of the gun culture.

Coldjoint wrote:
An earlier post.
Quote:
Quote:
The "We need guns to fight the New World Order, (sometimes referred to as the Evil Zionist Rothschild New World Order), is coming to get us" is a big part of the gun culture.

Quote coldjoint:
Quote:
Didn't work the first time, still no cigar.

Those two quotes you gave are EXACTLY the same sentence.

Next coldjoint post:

Quote:
View Profile Blickers

[quote]I just did. There you go. That sentence was the same. Try to remember what you have said, I can't do it for you.
[/quote]
I'm sorry, but the two posts are here and here and a simple click will show they are NOT the same sentence. You fail.

Quote:
Also I never said it was exactly the same. I said earlier post. You read a lot into a short sentence.
Ahem, you pasted my post exactly, then pasted the same post again and misidentified it as an "earlier post". I guess that's why you just posted the post numbers instread of a real, genuine link. You wanted to conceal your untruth. Is there no end to your perfidy?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 07:48 am
Mike Collier (candidate for Lt Governor of Texas)
·
As a parent, I’m devastated by what took place in Santa Fe – and I’m furious at our state leaders for both their failure to act and their failure to lead. Our thoughts and prayers won’t bring back the 10 innocent children and faculty whose lives were taken.

We must ACT to ensure not another innocent life is lost! Our state leaders cannot run from our condemnation. Most have done nothing, but others, like Dan Patrick, stand in the way of common-sense gun safety measures that all Texans can get behind and will save lives.

And what’s Dan’s solution? Doors. Less of them. Not gun safety measures. Not a plan or policy idea – DOORS. As the Lieutenant Governor of Texas, he actually suggested the problem we face is "too many entrances" to school buildings and campuses.

I don’t know if Dan is that uninformed, that insensitive, or just that deep in the pocket of the special interests, but anyone who offers that response to what took place in Santa Fe is not a leader and cannot handle the immense responsibility and duty entrusted to them.

We must together demand a Special Session NOW so that not one more child should die due to our state leaders' negligence. I am calling on the Governor to hold a special session and pass legislation to keep our kids safe before they return to their schools in September.

Join me in demanding that they keep our kids safe.
Blickers

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 09:06 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote Mike Collier:
Quote:
We must together demand a Special Session NOW so that not one more child should die due to our state leaders' negligence. I am calling on the Governor to hold a special session and pass legislation to keep our kids safe before they return to their schools in September.

Join me in demanding that they keep our kids safe.

Sounds good. Like I posted before, let's close the schools down NOW, force legislators to come up with effective legislation to make them safe, and re-open them in September. Among other things, ban the assault-style weapons which have fueled the Go Out In A Blaze Of Glory movement that is clearly catching on so horribly well.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 09:21 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
That is most patriotic thing you have ever said. Your respect for the founders is unrivaled.
so you seem to imply that those guys were SUPERHEROES??? They were idiots like everyone else. Obviously Nostradamus was not among em with some of the inserts into the Constitution. Or did they knowingly draw up the work load for the USSC for the next coupla millenia.??

We had one civil war wherein each side had "God on their side". Wxcept for the Union whose own idiot-in-chief said.
"We may have God on our side, but Id still rather have Kentucky"

The genius of our constitution is that someone like you cannot force someone like me to not find your opinions incredibly stupid.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 09:28 am
@edgarblythe,
In Pa are several school security design businesses that have risen to get with the schoolboards to have them serve as design consultants or architects for safer schools. Fewer entrances and controlled entrances with limited access are but a small part of the design pCkage.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 09:38 am
@vikorr,
Quote:
You're saying the context has changed.
yes it has, markedly. We are now over 100 times bigger than we were in the war of 1812. We hve a standing military tht neednt worry about being overcome by a "Well regulated" militia.We are no longer a nation in the wilderness. And, our legislatures are Careers, no longer part time services.

We are fucked whenever we try to make decisions that serve the nation.
For example, PLUMP has been trying to undo everything Obama did??? WHY?? just because he can. Hes finding out that most of his actions have consequences that hes not brigh enough to envision.

We are stuck with our own douche-bag-in-chief. and he thinks that "bringing coal back" (among other dumass moves) is actually smart leadership.

oralloy

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 10:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Yes. It didn't differ to the situation here, actually, it was taken from the Saxon rules here.
Here, it changed in 14th/15th century, in cities and towns at first ("mass shootings" of those days were done with swords*. And later, after the Reichskammergericht ("Imperial Chamber Court") was instituted as the highest court in the Holy Roman Empire in 1495, carrying arms became strictly regulated.

*Arms were then stored in the local Zeughaus ("arsenal").
As a consequence of the Peasants' War of 1525, the peasants nearly everywhere had to deliver their swords and other weapons to the local authorities.

I'm sorry you lost your freedom. I hope one day you are able to reclaim it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 10:53 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
So lets say that way back, over 1000 years ago, it was a right given to free'd peasants. What if the 'marks' of free men were: to wear a star on their chest (so people knew they were free), to vote (if such a system existed), and to pay taxes...

The thing is, such marks are arbitrary - They varied from society to society, and context (of the area) to context (ditto). Rights too are arbitrary, varying from country to country in the modern world.

What is similar, is that all free countries, including the US, have laws that restrict freedom, so that society can function. From country to county, those laws differ, rendering the 'truth' of the law relevant to only that country, or perhaps not at all.

All that is to say, it's good to know there is some historical basis for the chant, but it is just that, a chant based on marks that in essence, vary from country to country, and century to century.

Actually the same rights exist across the entire Former British Empire.

These rights do not change over time.

vikorr wrote:
There is also the issue of regulation. I doubt they had any way of regulating such things back then (only absolutely vital registers were kept, like land titles), and perhaps no need to (you see how this 'right' is contextual?). Criminal records were only kept by the courts (There was no policing force as exists today). They didn't understand mental health (the worse kinds - which they probably burned at the stake), they had travel issues (with robbing hoods along the highways), etc. So, context...which, as per above, all varied from kingdom to kingdom, and century to century (or millennia to millennia if you prefer)

Regulations of the sort that you refer to do not conflict with the right to keep and bear arms.

It is only when regulations prevent a law-abiding citizen from having a gun suitable for self defense that the regulations conflict with the right.

vikorr wrote:
To tell other countries that 'you are no longer free because you regulate guns' is sloganistic, wrong, and rather insulting.

If those countries prevent law abiding citizens from having guns that are suitable for self defense, then it is correct to say that they have abolished freedom.

vikorr wrote:
It follows an ideology blindly,

Freedom is a nice ideology to follow.

vikorr wrote:
without ever understanding why the existence of a 'right' exists in any given time or place (eg to Churl),

The origins of the right in ancient Germanic tribes may be lost to history, but the spread of the right is generally understood.

When Germanic tribes invaded and conquered England, they brought this right with them and instilled it in the English government.

When England spread colonies around the world and formed the British Empire, each of their colonies was instilled with this right too since they used English Common Law as their foundation.

vikorr wrote:
how rights change from time to time, and place to place,

Rights never change.

vikorr wrote:
and also without understanding what freedom entails.

Freedom includes the right to have guns that are suitable for self defense.

vikorr wrote:
I have no issue generally with citizens possessing guns. I do have issue with:
- criminals
- mentally ill (the dangerous kinds); and
- domestically violent persons
possessing guns / having easy access to them

Only regulation has the potential to influence the above.

Such regulations do not conflict with the right to keep and bear arms.

It is the regulations that prevent law-abiding citizens from having guns that are suitable for self defense that conflict with the right to keep and bear arms.

vikorr wrote:
The other arguments of where, how, what type etc, are for each country to decide.

If a country decides to abolish freedom, it is reasonable to say that they have abolished freedom.
oralloy

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 10:54 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Ya see, there is a huuuge difference when some old douche writes it into the bill of rights. We are sorta stuck with a law that really needs re thinking but its almost untouchable.

We don't need to rethink the idea of freedom and civil rights. They were good ideas back then, they remain good ideas now, and they will remain good ideas in the future.

farmerman wrote:
The work it will take is generational

Future generations are not going to suddenly decide that they don't want to have civil rights.

farmerman wrote:
and Im afraid that many more eople will die before even the gun nuts recognize that they have a huge role to play in fixing this amendment.

Gun owners are never going to join with the freedom haters in abolishing our civil rights.

farmerman wrote:
"A well regulated militia..." may have worked two centuries ago, but its an anachronism today.

Since the government is ignoring that section of the amendment, why does it bother you if you think it is an anachronism?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 10:55 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
so you seem to imply that those guys were SUPERHEROES??? They were idiots like everyone else.

They were visionaries who foresaw that you would try to abolish our freedom and civil rights, and took steps to prevent you from doing so.
0 Replies