Guns: how much longer will it take ....

Baldimo

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 04:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
You don't need huge guns and tons of ammo for self-defense.

What do you describe as a huge gun? What do you consider tons of ammo?

Quote:
You need something portable and light.

That really depends on where you are, light and portable are subjective measurements. One gun that is perfect for me, could be too heavy for my wife, it's subjective.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 09:06 pm
Quote:
Concealed handguns used by civilians to stop crimes a dozen times over the last few weeks

Quote:
Raleigh, North Carolina, April 26, 2018

. . . Jonathan Tyrone Peace, 28, has been charged with common law robbery in connection with the incident Thursday in the 300 block of South Blount Street around 3 p.m., police said. He suffered a gunshot wound to the chest and was rushed for medical treatment to WakeMed. . . .

Police said Morgen Matthews, 23, was walking on South Blount Street when Peace tried to rob her. She fired her weapon to stop him from attacking her, police said. She remained on the scene until police arrived, authorities said.

More at link.

0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 10:01 pm
One thing I've never quite worked out from what I've read of US laws:

- are criminals allowed to purchase weapons?
- are the mentally ill allowed to own weapons?
- are domestically violent people allowed to own weapons?

My presumption is that such varies from state to state, but how common is it (ie as a % of states) for the above to purchase/own weapons?
Olivier5

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 12:39 am
@Baldimo,
Now you're obfuscating.
oralloy

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 08:12 am
@Olivier5,
I reread his post. It seems pretty clear that no obfuscation was intended.

It is possible that you were not clear what you meant by a big gun and lots of ammo.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 08:13 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
One thing I've never quite worked out from what I've read of US laws:

- are criminals allowed to purchase weapons?
- are the mentally ill allowed to own weapons?
- are domestically violent people allowed to own weapons?

My presumption is that such varies from state to state, but how common is it (ie as a % of states) for the above to purchase/own weapons?

There is a federal background check system. Generally a felony conviction or a domestic violence misdemeanor will get you added to the list of people who are prohibited from buying a gun.

Only gun stores use the background check system. It is not used by private individuals who are selling one of their guns.

Also, if the government takes longer than three days to provide a background check result, the sale is approved.

If someone has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution, they as well are added to the list of people who are not allowed to have guns.

If a mentally ill person is not any particular danger though, they are not prevented from having guns.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 11:19 am
Quote:
After Democrat Said “F*CK THE NRA”, Tucker Carlson Humiliated Him… Bad

Quote:
“No, it started a conversation about how embarrassing you are. I mean, how many NRA members have committed mass shootings?” Tucker asked. Davis did not want to go there in front of millions of viewers, so he tried to redirect the conversation by talking about “common sense” things that people want to do in regard to gun control.

Tucker cut him at the knees. “You just released an ad that said F the NRA which I’m sure back at your fraternity house, they love. But, let me ask you an adult question. How many NRA members have committed mass shootings?”

I watched it. Tucker cleaned his clock and proved this guy knows nothing about guns or their capabilities.
https://madworldnews.com/democrat-nra-tucker-carlson/
Baldimo

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 12:10 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Now you're obfuscating.

How so, you used vague meanings like huge guns and lots of ammo, I'm wondering what your definition is. Did you know in the militaries around the world, the M-16 and even the M-60 are considered small arms, not heavy weaponry?
vikorr

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 05:21 pm
@oralloy,
Thankyou.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 06:46 pm
@coldjoint,
Cacarlson and you miss the point. Its not the members who setst the policy
.. Its the leaders.

coldjoint

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 07:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Cacarlson and you miss the point

The point was that NRA has produced 0 mass shooters.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 03:18 am
@Baldimo,
Everything is relative. Compared to tanks and cannons, an assault riffle is small, but compared to what you need for self-defense in a civilian life, it's too big.
oralloy

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 09:46 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
compared to what you need for self-defense in a civilian life, it's too big.

That depends on what you mean by assault rifle.

The gun banners in America refer to ordinary rifles as assault rifles. And ordinary rifles are ideal for self defense.

If, however, you mean weapons that are capable of full-auto fire, then I agree with your statement.

But when you hear the term "assault rifle" in the context of an American gun control debate, the term refers to ordinary rifles, not to full-auto weapons.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 11:03 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Everything is relative.

No it isn't. You want to ban guns with no real explaination of the terms you are using.

Quote:
Compared to tanks and cannons, an assault riffle is small, but compared to what you need for self-defense in a civilian life, it's too big.

Please explain this? What do you think I need for home/self defense?

You before tried to have the option of what I would rather be shot with. I answered with a better question, what do I get to defend myself with? You dodged and ignored the question because you don't think anyone should have guns.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 12:04 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
The point was that NRA has produced 0 mass shooters.
Youre viewpoint is historically incorrect. It seems that All the mass shootings have been perped ever since the NRA turned from a "hunting and gun safety "organization, to a "mini militia support group" thus impeding reasonable gun sales and design controls and shooter controls
coldjoint

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 12:59 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
NRA turned from a "hunting and gun safety "organization, to a "mini militia support group"

All you have to do is prove that, should I wait?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 01:11 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Youre viewpoint is historically incorrect. It seems that All the mass shootings have been perped ever since the NRA turned from a "hunting and gun safety "organization, to a "mini militia support group" thus impeding reasonable gun sales and design controls and shooter controls

Have you been to a gun range lately? You would be surprised to know that the NRA hasn't changed, you have changed. They still offer certified instructors for all levels of training and even offer things like Ladies Nights for women only to learn to shoot or just practice without fear of being hit on at the range. Your bias against the NRA is clear, "reasonable gun sales and design controls" are not the perview of the NRA, they are there to promote the 2nd Amendment, which is the only Amendment which says it shall not be infringed, and shooter safety. Unless you can prove other wise, you would be better served by being against the NSSF, National Sport Shooters Federation, they are the actual gun lobby.
vikorr

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 03:20 pm
@Baldimo,
That uh, did not make logical sense. Some parts were irrelevant to farmermans point, and the other parts actually seemed to support it, while obviously meaning to be against what he said.

Quote:
Unless you can prove other wise, you would be better served by being against the NSSF, National Sport Shooters Federation, they are the actual gun lobby.
Hmm. Even here in Australia, we hear of the lobbying by the NRA. And a quick search shows they established their lobbying arm in 1975, and spent a record amount on lobbying in 2017.

I'm scratching my head at this post.
oralloy

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 03:47 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Even here in Australia, we hear of the lobbying by the NRA. And a quick search shows they established their lobbying arm in 1975, and spent a record amount on lobbying in 2017.

The NSSF is the lobbying arm of the gun manufacturers.

The NRA is one of the lobbying groups for people who do not wish their Second Amendment rights to be violated.

The NSSF has no objection to unconstitutional gun regulations so long as manufacturers are still allowed to manufacture and sell guns of some sort.

The NRA will fight hard to prevent unconstitutional gun regulations from being passed into law.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 03:52 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
That uh, did not make logical sense. Some parts were irrelevant to farmermans point, and the other parts actually seemed to support it, while obviously meaning to be against what he said.

Farmerman claimed that the NRA had changed from being a hunting and gun safety organization when they took up lobbying.

Baldimo was pointing out that the NRA remains a hunting and gun safety organization even though they have also taken up lobbying.