Guns: how much longer will it take ....

gungasnake

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 06:50 am
What the second amendment prevents in the United States:

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2018/05/uk-proposes-six-year-prison-sentence-for-criticizing-islam
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 06:54 am
Six years in British prison for thought crime....

Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime IS death.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 06:59 am
@oralloy,
You don't understand statistics, smarty boy.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 07:24 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Actually you can make sense of the data just by looking at it.
A few months ago - when figures for 2017 were published - there were big discussion in Switzerland, why suddenly so many persons owned registered guns: it was just because it was the last year to register them as legally owned weapons (EU-law related).
oralloy

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 07:39 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
You don't understand statistics, smarty boy.

I understand enough to know that there is no correlation between gun availability and homicide rates.

And I gave you a link to someone who understands it a bit better and gave some of that analysis that you were asking for.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 07:52 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I understand enough to know that there is no correlation between gun availability and homicide rates.
And others observe a robust correlation between higher levels of gun ownership and higher firearm homicide rates = countrieswith higher rates of gun ownership have disproportionately large numbers of deaths from firearm-related homicides.
oralloy

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 07:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
A few months ago - when figures for 2017 were published - there were big discussion in Switzerland, why suddenly so many persons owned registered guns: it was just because it was the last year to register them as legally owned weapons (EU-law related).

If I were Swiss I'd think it was time to withdraw from the Schengen Area.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 07:55 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
If I were Swiss I'd think it was time to withdraw from the Schengen Area.
"Area" is the correct term here (though you certainly meant treaty) because Switzerland is surrounded by Schengen countries.

Besides that, the Swiss Confederation has adopted various provisions of European Union law (besides others the EU-gun laws) in order to participate in the Union's single market.
oralloy

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 07:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
And others observe a robust correlation between higher levels of gun ownership and higher firearm homicide rates.

I observe it too.

But I don't see how this correlation is at all relevant to anything.

In my view someone who is killed with a knife is just as dead as someone who is killed with a gun, so it doesn't matter what sort of weapon is used to kill them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 07:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
"Area" is the correct term here (though you certainly meant treaty) because Switzerland is surrounded by Schengen countries.

I would think that a country that withdrew from the Schengen Treaty would then no longer be part of the Schengen Area.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 08:08 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I would think that a country that withdrew from the Schengen Treaty would then no longer be part of the Schengen Area.
That might be so, but it has has nothing to do with the Swiss Corporation's relation to the EU (If e.g. a referendum were to take place, it would not only be about arms law, but also about Switzerland's Schengen and Dublin membership.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 08:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
In this pic ...
https://i.imgur.com/uopxNhDl.jpg
... you see which weapons have to be registered (left column), are subject to approval (centre) or are completely forbidden (left) - according to the referendum in 2011.
(Larger pic >here<)
oralloy

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 10:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I've heard that Switzerland has since moved a number of guns from the green category to the yellow category.

The paintball guns and air guns might still be in the green category, but not the guns that are powered by the combustion of gunpowder.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 10:23 am
@oralloy,
The latest brochure >official brochure< shows indeed some differences to my pic.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 02:05 pm
@oralloy,
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health > Harvard Injury Control Research Center > Firearms Research > Homicide

Homicide

1. Where there are more guns there is more homicide (literature review)

Our review of the academic literature found that a broad array of evidence indicates that gun availability is a risk factor for homicide, both in the United States and across high-income countries.  Case-control studies, ecological time-series and cross-sectional studies indicate that in homes, cities, states and regions in the U.S., where there are more guns, both men and women are at a higher risk for homicide, particularly firearm homicide.

Hepburn, Lisa; Hemenway, David.  Firearm availability and homicide: A review of the literature.  Aggression and Violent Behavior: A Review Journal.  2004; 9:417-40.

2. Across high-income nations, more guns = more homicide

We analyzed the relationship between homicide and gun availability using data from 26 developed countries from the early 1990s.  We found that across developed countries, where guns are more available, there are more homicides.  These results often hold even when the United States is excluded.

Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew.  Firearm availability and homicide rates across 26 high income countries.  Journal of Trauma.  2000; 49:985-88.

3. Across states, more guns = more homicide

Using a validated proxy for firearm ownership, we analyzed the relationship between firearm availability and homicide across 50 states over a ten-year period (1988-1997).

After controlling for poverty and urbanization, for every age group, people in states with many guns have elevated rates of homicide, particularly firearm homicide.

Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David.  Household firearm ownership levels and homicide rates across U.S. regions and states, 1988-1997.  American Journal of Public Health.  2002; 92:1988-1993.

4. Across states, more guns = more homicide (2)

Using survey data on rates of household gun ownership, we examined the association between gun availability and homicide across states, 2001-2003.  We found that states with higher levels of household gun ownership had higher rates of firearm homicide and overall homicide.  This relationship held for both genders and all age groups, after accounting for rates of aggravated assault, robbery, unemployment, urbanization, alcohol consumption, and resource deprivation (e.g., poverty).  There was no association between gun prevalence and non-firearm homicide.

Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David.  State-level homicide victimization rates in the U.S. in relation to survey measures of household firearm ownership, 2001-2003.  Social Science and Medicine.  2007; 64:656-64.

5. A summary of the evidence on guns and violent death

This book chapter summarizes the scientific literature on the relationship between gun prevalence (levels of household gun ownership) and suicide, homicide and unintentional firearm death and concludes that where there are higher levels of gun ownership, there are more gun suicides and more total suicides, more gun homicides and more total homicides, and more accidental gun deaths.

This is the first chapter in the book and provides and up-to-date and readable summary of the literature on the relationship between guns and death.  It also adds to the literature by using the National Violent Death Reporting System data to show where (home or away) the shootings occurred.  Suicides for all age groups and homicides for children and aging adults most often occurred in their own home.

Miller M, Azrael D, Hemenway D.  Firearms and violence death in the United States.  In: Webster DW, Vernick JS, eds.  Reducing Gun Violence in America.  Baltimore MD: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2013.

6. More guns = more homicides of police

This article examines homicide rates of Law Enforcement Officers (LEOs) from 1996 to 2010.  Differences in rates of homicides of LEOs across states are best explained not by differences in crime, but by differences in household gun ownership.  In high gun states, LEOs are 3 times more likely to be murdered than LEOs working in low-gun states.

This article was cited by President Obama in a speech to a police association.  This article will hopefully bring police further into the camp of those pushing for sensible gun laws.

Swedler DI, Simmons MM, Dominici F, Hemenway D.  Firearm prevalence and homicides of law enforcement officers in the United States.  American Journal of Public Health.  2015; 105:2042-48.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 02:18 pm
@Olivier5,
Why is it most of these studies took place over 10 years ago and at different points in the 1994 gun ban. You still haven't commented on the 500,000 to 2.5 million uses of guns for self-defense that was found in the 2013 CDC study authorized by Obama.. Any study that only looks at the "harm" and never the "good" is a worthless study. We know guns do more good than harm, the very fact no one on the left uses that CDC study is proof enough.

Below viewing threshold (view)
Olivier5

Reply Sat 12 May, 2018 12:50 am
@Baldimo,
More guns = more homicides + more suicide.
oralloy

Reply Sat 12 May, 2018 04:25 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
More guns = more homicides

That is incorrect. The statistics are very clear that that is not true.

Olivier5 wrote:
+ more suicide.

Perhaps.

Assuming that it is true though, so what?

We have the right to have guns. Period.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 12 May, 2018 01:38 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
More guns = more homicides + more suicide.

The very fact that there are so many guns in the US, and the murder rates have been dropping at the same time proves you are incorrect. Don't forget that you also need to account for the 500,000 to 2.5 million uses of guns for self-defense. Guns are used by good people for more often than they are used by bad people.