Online dating, flirting and dating burn-out.

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:58 pm
little k

I repeat my advice quietly but with conviction arising from experience...go out where people, likely many single, are getting together to have fun. Folks aren't very pressured, including yourself, because the attention is on other things entirely. And you get to see them and how they interact with others. With side benefits of new acquainances and new experiences. And, if you pick activities you enjoy, then you'll not have to worry about linking up with that guy who gets drunk tuesdays and thursdays and dines at Hooters (but omits mention of these items on his self description).
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 07:01 pm
I take that personally, blatham...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 07:17 pm
Good idea, blatham. One problem is that these things typically attract couples, and singles usually end up looking like they are on the make. Any ideas where a single person is not an oddity?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 10:29 pm
roger

I tipped little k to such earlier, but I mean things such as hiking or biking or softball clubs in her town. Here in Vancouver, we have local community centers which organize such activities seasonally, and they are minimal in expense and a really nice way to meet folks.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 11:54 pm
blatham - I did look into the hiking clubs. It'd be good for me. Something for the spring.

I also looked into edithdoll's idea of doing volunteer work on singles nights.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 09:50 pm
I was just watching Oprah, After The Show, the concensus was you cannot meet someone nice/decent in a bar, not only that you can't carry on a conversation because you can't hear each other. And, the best way is through a friend, a friend of a friend, etc.

One gal introduced her husband, she had done the bar scene, clubs, singles groups, and finally she met her husband on the internet, he lived two blocks away from her.

So, there's no way of knowing what or how you meet someone. However, I think the best way is to forget that you're trying to meet a SO, and just be focused on meeting new people in general and opening up new avenues for yourself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 10:16 pm
I've been doing a bit of that Misti - thanks.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 10:45 pm
So, just to update - I quit the online personals. Too weird. Not the idea itself, but the people I was meeting. Not that they were weird, really, but they all seemed to be in a rush.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 10:33 am
good on yer, smashed pixie on a windscreen. (come to think of it, you look a bit like that kim deal lass. hmmmmmmmmmm...................)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 01:32 pm
who's kim deal?

And another, btw, it seems the Pom might have been right in saying I'm not over the guy I used to date.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 02:07 pm
(oops. i made an assumption based on, like, your age and your tat and where you live and have lived and all. she was the bassist for the erstwhile pixies (from cambridge, but rather, er, widely spread) and cofrontwoman for the breeders.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 04:06 pm
gotcha - I know who you mean now, just notoriously bad with names....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 04:35 pm
yeah, me too. it just happened to be someone who made a distinct impact on my younger pickled brain...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 04:45 pm
younger and pickled. Yep, she's pretty cool.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 11:22 pm
Faith, Hope and Charity!

Peace on Earth and Goodwill Toward All Mankind!

Happy New Year All!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 12:26 am
<grin>
I thought you said Faith Hill.....
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 01:15 pm
For me, that would be Hope and Charity!
0 Replies

CountZero

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 03:03 pm
how'd I miss this one?

Met my sweetie online. Works for me.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 03:18 pm
L'k..... Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 03:19 pm
Countzero - good for you! Did you meet your sweetie on a matchmaking site or elsewhere?
0 Replies