How many people is it acceptable to have.....

vikorr

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:22 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
It looks like you are confusing sex with foreplay.

No, I'm talking about the combination of physical, mental and spiritual aspects of sex. You brought it down to purely physical.

Quote:
Maybe to give her pause for thought.
There's an old saying that 'people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care'...and another 'the harder you fight someone, the harder they fights back'. The combination of those two is why I asked 'to what point'...and pointing out the drive to rebel was one way to trying to point that out also.

Quote:
Why? It would be the same for everybody surely.
Concusions are rarely the same for anyone.

Quote:
What other conclusion is there? That's the naked lunch. Isn't it? Have I missed something?
Yes

Quote:
Yes but few men can do it for the cameras. Women don't need to get an erection you see. It is a crucial factor.

Are you then blaming women for the difference? It’s simply a difference.
Quote:
Communication is difficult without labels.
Communication is difficult without generalisations. The use of moral labels can always be avoided. In this regard your excuse is a cop out.

Quote:
I've no problems with labels

If you are christian, let me put it to you this way. The use of a moral label, is the attachment of a judgement to a fellow human being. All christians should know the issues with passing judgement.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:38 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Yes she did. It was almost mystical. I had a lump in my throat. He held my finger like Tom Jones did when he blew Mr Allworthy's brains. What a book Tom Jones is. It isn't famous for nothing. The kid was fast asleep though. I put my finger in his mitt and I could swear he squeezed. And how light he was. He commanded the whole pub. Hairy arsed navvies were blubbering.

Mystical-otherworldly- like I said, the real miracle. I'm glad you got to hold him.

Quote:
Surely you put yourself there?

Only in the sense that I underestimated the power of some forces and overestimated the power of certain others- a long time ago.
I've learned to have more respect for forces though.
I guess that's what I was advocating for PQ.
I can't really complain though - it's all worked out in its own way.
Quote:

That means nothing Becks.

Yes it does. It means I'm not unaware of how destructive some of my habits are and I do my best to keep that destructiveness to a minimum.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:42 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
If misogyny is seen that way it is a positive thing. Expressing indignation at the follies of women is an attempt to reform them. It does not write them off as basket cases.

Spendius - could you be any more insulting and paternalistic?

Quote:
What critics of misogynists do is to confirm the follies resulting in no reform. They are indulging in flatteries and everybody knows the motive of flattery. Weak willed greaseballing by supplicants.

So when a woman says she appreciates and enjoys masculine traits in men- do you believe she's indulging in flatteries and being a weak willed greaseballing supplicant?
Or do you attribute enough positives to your own gender to accept that she's stating her true feelings or opinion.

What is so wrong with woman that you'd believe women are so folly-filled that they need reformation.
And I'm curious - what would your version of the reformation of the feminine psyche involve?
What exactly would you change and how would you change it?
spendius

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 04:21 pm
I have to go out. That's not strictly true of course. I don't have to. I am doing. I'll see you later hopefully.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 04:57 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
If misogyny is seen that way it is a positive thing. Expressing indignation at the follies of women is an attempt to reform them. It does not write them off as basket cases.

Of course! It is only a woman capable of making a folly, their weak nature making them open to committing silly acts under a torrent of emotion. All women need a good, strong, rational man to put them in their place.

On saturday night one of our friends fucked another of our friends, the problem being that she went out with another mutual friend, upsetting him, putting them both up for criticism.
In the ensuing gossip today, the main thing that seemed to emerge was that she seemed to regret it. Someone said 'You can do it and not care, but don't do it and then worry what everyone thinks.'
I think that sums it up, i think you're more likely to be seen as a victim if you confess that there is a part of you that doesn't know what you are doing. People generally aren't sure of the 'standard' (there isn't one, it's invented) but by pretending you know the standard, and either set it or comply then you're much less likely to be seen as deviant to the norm.

I suppose this is a part of how misogyny develops- a man is under social pressure to appear strong, decisive, aggressor. Women are not under this burden, and are allowed to talk to friends, allowed to express regret or whatever, which is interpreted as 'weakness.' The more the standards are upheld the more they enforce the ideology.
spendius

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 06:21 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
Of course! It is only a woman capable of making a folly, their weak nature making them open to committing silly acts under a torrent of emotion. All women need a good, strong, rational man to put them in their place.

Not so much to put them in their place. They are in a place. They need somebody to explain that place to them and it needn't be a man. I often quote Germaine Greer. I've been known to quote Nancy Mitford. I've quoted Philippa Pullar a bit recently and Sarah Pomeroy.

All women, and all men, need a good strong, rational person to clear their heads which are bombarded constantly with salespersons. Marghaniti Laski had it but nobody has ever heard of her. And Emily Bronte. She once was a true love of mine. And still is.

Quote:
Well, if you're travellin' in the north country fair,
Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline,
Remember me to one who lives there.
She once was a true love of mine.

It is said that Bob had Echo in mind when he wrote that. The stadiums ached when he sang it in 1981.

The materialists deny the existence of emotions. Just physico-chemico reactions they say. Same as when a Yorkshire pudding rises in the oven. They are "certain causal patterns of mental and bodily states" and the cause involved "is always a belief that an individual has acquired, or a perception that he has." Obviously, it follows from materialist theory automatically, that there is "a possibilty in all such cases that the belief is false, or that the perception fails to correspond to reality." (Quotes from Prof D.M.Armstrong.) These "patterns of mental and bodily states" are said to be "apt for causing" certain behaviours. So there you go Queenie. Your friend's reactions in a nutshell. A consequence of their conditioning. Put them in college in North Korea and it would be different. In Nazi Germany they would **** with whoever they had been told to. Methinks a materialist would say that they just like having flouncing sessions and dramatic scenes. Like they've seen in movies and soaps.

They are all set to teach materialism in American schools and the zombies are crowing about it like cocks that haven't seen a hen in a long time might well do. It sells stuff you see. Goods, junk, gee-jaws, general shite, legal fighting, lies, deceit, palliatives, chemicals, treatments, work, you name it.
vikorr

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 12:28 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Expressing indignation at the follies of women is an attempt to reform them. It does not write them off as basket cases.

Who is to say that it is folly? You? How do you know this 'folly' isn't essential to her growth? Do you actually care? (haven't shown it so far), or do you just want her to be like you? Why does she need reform when she is in the process of reforming? Are you to decide who this unique individual will become? Do you want to mold her in your own image?

Quote:
Not so much to put them in their place. They are in a place. They need somebody to explain that place to them and it needn't be a man. I often quote Germaine Greer. I've been known to quote Nancy Mitford. I've quoted Philippa Pullar a bit recently and Sarah Pomeroy.
Actually, the self centred explaining of that 'place' is self defeating. Only when a person is interested in the place they are in, does any explanation help...and the only way you'll get them interested, is by caring, and being a friend...not by being their judge (which you've no right to be).

Quote:
All women, and all men, need a good strong, rational person to clear their heads which are bombarded constantly with salespersons.
That 'good, strong, rational person' needs to be invited by the other person, into the other persons life. Otherwise you are a judgemental invader, to be fought, conquered, and disregarded.

Rationality is way overated. We are mostly emotional creatures (especially in relation to our fears, which drive us greatly).
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 12:34 am
@vikorr,
Hey, vikorr's back.

Yayyyy.

Not that we always agree, but that I understand him - well, usually.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 01:11 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I have to go out. That's not strictly true of course. I don't have to. I am doing. I'll see you later hopefully.

This is just a more polite way of doing to me what you say Farmerman is doing to you on the ID thread: avoiding the down and dirty questions that you don't have an answer for.
(Although it was very honest and polite- thanks for that at least).

But I still would like answers to my questions:
(1) In what ways does the feminine psyche need to be reformed?

(2) How would YOU go about doing it? (I'm not interested in Germaine
Greer's ideas or anyone elses- I can read those elsewhere).

(3) Are you so enamored of your own gender that:
(a) you seriously do not see that men have been instrumental in creating
who women have become (in fact, I believe the primary agent)
(b) and men, in some ways, are the LEAST objective (by virtue of the
role they play in womens' lives as partners and fathers)
purveryors of thought about who women really are and should be?

(4) Do you see women has having less strong and integrated sexual urges
than men?
vikorr

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 02:32 am
@aidan,
Heya Ossobuco,

Actually we usually do agree. Many people who disagree with me, if they talk with me further, usually find we agree, but come from a different perspective.

And I always like your views.

As for being away - when they changed web formats it was really hard to find current topics, so I left it for a while. It's a lot better now (though not as good as it used to be). I'll see you around again I hope Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 06:35 am
@aidan,
Quote:
This is just a more polite way of doing to me what you say Farmerman is doing to you on the ID thread: avoiding the down and dirty questions that you don't have an answer for.
(Although it was very honest and polite- thanks for that at least).

That is completely wrong Becks. I had, and have, and will have in the future, everry intention of studying your posts and everybody else's posts, on the threads I participate in, and responding to them if I think I have something worthwhile to say about them.

In fact your statement there betrays a problem I think you have. Oversensitivity. I wouldn't go so far as low level paranoia but that I should think of that word signifies something.

I have been busy. I fell asleep on the couch last night meditating on whether to post one of Gustave Flaubert's letters to a friend of his concerning women which seemed relevant to this thread but a bit fierce.

In a way you have pointed to two qualities of women that some people consider to be "follies". Impatience and insecurity. You had a lacuna yesterday but I didn't come on complaining about it. I am prepared to await your pleasure and I have no concern that you might be ignoring me because if I had you would have power over me and I only concede that to ladies under certain attenuated circumstances. I quite like impatience in ladies.

When I woke up it was my bath time and then it was pub time and when I got back the thread-mistress had posted and I felt it was my duty to prioritise. By which time my cosy charp-pit was pulling so I decamped there and watched Mr Obama's press conference in order to prepare myself for my necessary sleep. I will attend to your post and vik's asap. (XXXX)

With farmerman it is simply a case of a lily-livered cuttlefish turning pink and scuttering under a rock when an outboard motor starts up 10 miles away.
spendius

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 07:46 am
@aidan,
Quote:
Spendius - could you be any more insulting and paternalistic?

Indeed I can. Quite easily. And by some margin.

Quote:
So when a woman says she appreciates and enjoys masculine traits in men- do you believe she's indulging in flatteries and being a weak willed greaseballing supplicant?

Not always but usually. Few men deserve that. And she might well be faking this appreciation for sordid and practical reasons. That it is an assertion.

Quote:
Or do you attribute enough positives to your own gender to accept that she's stating her true feelings or opinion.

What positives? We are all assholes.

Quote:
What is so wrong with woman that you'd believe women are so folly-filled that they need reformation.

They are what they are. It is men who need reformation in their approach to them. They have forgotten, probably in the service of them posturing as Mr Nice Guy, that they are dealing with an elemental force which is itself a serious beneficiary of being properly managed. Women have been exploited against their own interest. Media is completely sold out to them. We have women in daring decollatage fronting programmes about rugby and football whilst pouting fetchingly.

Anyway- the question is highly complex and hardly any longer discussable in any serious way. Thousands of books have been written on the subject. Thousands of articles. Songs. Poems. Movies. How can I be expected to address such a question?

Quote:
what would your version of the reformation of the feminine psyche involve?
What exactly would you change and how would you change it?

I would encourage humility.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 08:17 am
@vikorr,
I'm sorry vik. You seem to want to bring an end to conversation. No labels. No advice. Everybody to find their own way. No leadership. Feral beings guided solely by appetite. An end to civilisation.

Anybody who offers advice, particularly that you don't like, is simply labelled, judgmentally, a Svengali. Bullshit.

Folly brought about the financial crisis. An obsession with conspicuous consumption on the money of savers. Forgetting that conspicuous consumption is self defeating. Stress inducing. Illness manufacturing. Stupid. Aggressive. Invidious. Folly.

I will say what is folly. If you haven't the nerve and wish to be all things to all people that's your affair and not mine. It was folly what Queenie did. If she doesn't like me for saying that I'm not about to put what I think are her best interests second to her approving of me. Or you. Or anybody else.

We were all invited to be a judge when Queenie put the post up. Some posters approved. It's odd you haven't addressed your strictures to them. Approving is just as much judging as is disapproving.

I think you are spouting rubbish and dangerous rubbish.
spendius

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 08:40 am
@aidan,
Quote:
In what ways does the feminine psyche need to be reformed?

Humility, as I said. Give more emphasis to society rather than individuality. Many already do but such types are not attracted to internet posting. Both are important but the latter has become too powerful. Anyway--the facts will reform the female psyche. That's what is happening with the financial crisis. Those who resist will be the most burned.

"You used to ride a chrome horse with your diplomat
Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat
Ain't it hard when you discover that
He's not really where it's at
After he's stolen from you
Everrything he can possibly steal."

Quote:
(I'm not interested in Germaine
Greer's ideas or anyone elses-

What can I say about that. I'd try to reform that sort of sentiment for a start. Ms Greer doesn't deal in ideas. She deals in facts.

Quote:
(a) you seriously do not see that men have been instrumental in creating
who women have become (in fact, I believe the primary agent)

You obviously disagree with Darwin's sexual selection process then. Wasn't that at work in the club Queenie was in? Didn't she choose him rather than the other way round?

Quote:
(4) Do you see women has having less strong and integrated sexual urges
than men?

Yes. Many more factors play a part for women than they do for men. Women have much more to lose.
aidan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 09:29 am
@spendius,
Quote:
In fact your statement there betrays a problem I think you have. Oversensitivity. I wouldn't go so far as low level paranoia but that I should think of that word signifies something.

No, I was just thinking I'd stumped you, and I was trying to rub it in by adding insult to injury (in a playful way) by pretending I believed you were skulking away somewhere with your tail between your legs.
I was in a playful mood - I had some great thread titles that are funny combinations and Gus posted this really funny video on what are you listening to right now - go over there and look ...

You know it's not often I feel that I get you over a barrel. I have to make the most of it when I do.
Quote:
In a way you have pointed to two qualities of women that some people consider to be "follies". Impatience and insecurity.

I am impatient - but not insecure (except when it comes to science and machines). And even in those two instances, I wouldn't say I'm insecure - I just accept the fact that I don't get a lot of stuff about those two subjects. It's just a fact. But everyone can't be good at everything - or maybe some people can- but I can't. And I'm fine with that.

Quote:
You had a lacuna yesterday but I didn't come on complaining about it.
That must have been when I went to the library and grocery shopping.

Quote:
I am prepared to await your pleasure and I have no concern that you might be ignoring me because if I had you would have power over me and I only concede that to ladies under certain attenuated circumstances. I quite like impatience in ladies.

Well, there you go - instilling humility in me. Laughing
I wouldn't ignore you though - I think ignoring someone who speaks directly to you is the height of rudeness. I just wouldn't do it (at least not purposefully).
aidan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 09:43 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
PQ said:
Quote:
I suppose this is a part of how misogyny develops- a man is under social pressure to appear strong, decisive, aggressor. Women are not under this burden, and are allowed to talk to friends, allowed to express regret or whatever, which is interpreted as 'weakness.' The more the standards are upheld the more they enforce the ideology.

But if a woman is allowed(emphasis mine) to talk to friends, and express regret or whatever - that would seem to indicate those are expressions of her feminity that are acceptable - so how would that then lead to an interpretation of weakness and on to misogyny?

In my experience, it's more the women who set themselves apart by appearing 'strong, decisive, the aggressor' who elicit more misogynistic ideology from men.

spendius

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 09:54 am
@aidan,
Quote:
No, I was just thinking I'd stumped you, and I was trying to rub it in by adding insult to injury (in a playful way) by pretending I believed you were skulking away somewhere with your tail between your legs.

Thank you. That is most gracious of you Madame.

Quote:
That must have been when I went to the library and grocery shopping.

Well--I remembered you had said you were going to be away for a day and a half so I assumed you had been without checking. My sense of time is not entirely well developed except for pub time.

Quote:
I wouldn't ignore you though - I think ignoring someone who speaks directly to you is the height of rudeness. I just wouldn't do it

That will be because you're not frightened of me undermining your position like some I could mention. You're a gutsy broad. A worthy debater.

I've heard people give all sorts of mealy-mouthed reasons why they don't bet and the only reason is actually that they are scared of it. You should see the reasons they put forth for putting me on Ignore. It's pitiful.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 09:58 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Humility, as I said. Give more emphasis to society rather than individuality. Many already do but such types are not attracted to internet posting.
Laughing Laughing
You crack me up - so what's true about men who are attracted to internet posting?

(
Quote:
I'm not interested in Germaine
Greer's ideas or anyone elses-

What can I say about that. I'd try to reform that sort of sentiment for a start. Ms Greer doesn't deal in ideas. She deals in facts.

I meant - I didn't want you to quote her or any of the other women - I wanted to read your opinion. Of course I'm interested in ideas and facts.

Quote:
You obviously disagree with Darwin's sexual selection process then. Wasn't that at work in the club Queenie was in? Didn't she choose him rather than the other way round?

I wouldn't know. Things may be very different these days - in fact- I think they are. All I know is that I could sit and have my eye on someone and pine and pine, but I wasn't supposed to show any sign of having chosen him until he indicated he'd chosen me first.
And even if a female does choose someone she can't very well act on anything unless the guy is also amenable and chooses her back.

Spendius said:
Quote:
Women have much more to lose.

Which would indicate that if/when they do go for it- the physical or biological urge might indeed be even stronger if it supercedes all the cultural and societal forces that should be holding them back.
spendius

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:15 am
@aidan,
The problem Becks is that it is possible to tailor the charge of misogynistic ideology to suit a subjectivity. Here is an extract from an abridged version of Schopenhauer's Essay on Women. It is no use simply declaring it misogynistic as a way of setting it to one side and ignoring it. It is very famous. It has stood the greatest of all literary tests--that of time. I find it hilarious and any woman who gets upset at it simply lacks confidence in herself despite it containing so much that is obviously true. Charges of misogyny cannot set aside truth. Very few educated people in Christendom haven't read it.

Quote:
The nature of the female
One needs only to see the way she is built to realize that woman is not intended for great mental or for great physical labor. She expiates the guilt of life not through activity but through suffering, through the pains of childbirth, caring for the child and subjection to the man, to whom she should be a patient and cheering companion. Great suffering, joy, exertion, is not for her: her life should flow by more quietly, trivially, gently than the man's without being essentially happier or unhappier.

Women are suited to being the nurses and teachers of our earliest childhood precisely because they themselves are childish, silly and short-sighted, in a word big children, their whole lives long: a kind of intermediate stage between the child and the man, who is the actual human being, ‘man.’ One has only to watch a girl playing with a child, dancing and singing with it the whole day, and then ask oneself what, with the best will in the world, a man could do in her place.

Natural weapons
In the girl nature has had in view what could in theatrical terms be called a stage-effect: it has provided her with superabundant beauty and charm for a few years at the expense of the whole remainder of her life, so that during these years she may so capture the imagination of a man that he is carried away into undertaking to support her honorably in some form or another for the rest of her life, a step he would seem hardly likely to take for purely rational considerations. Thus nature has equipped women, as it has all its creatures, with the tools and weapons she needs for securing her existence, and at just the time she needs them; in doing which nature has acted with its usual economy. For just as the female ant loses its wings after mating, since they are then superfluous, indeed harmful to the business of raising the family, so the woman usually loses her beauty after one or two childbeds, and probably for the same reason.

Female truth
The fundamental defect of the female character is a lack of a sense of justice. This originates first and foremost in their want of rationality and capacity for reflexion but it is strengthened by the fact that, as the weaker sex, they are driven to rely not on force but on cunning: hence their instinctive subtlety and their ineradicable tendency to tell lies: for, as nature has equipped the lion with claws and teeth, the elephant with tusks, the wild boar with fangs, the bull with horns and the cuttlefish with ink, so it has equipped woman with the power of dissimulation as her means of attack and defence, and has transformed into this gift all the strength it has bestowed on man in the form of physical strength and the power of reasoning. Dissimulation is thus inborn in her and consequently to be found in the stupid woman almost as often as in the clever one. To make use of it at every opportunity is as natural to her as it is for an animal to employ its means of defence whenever it is attacked, and when she does so she feels that to some extent she is only exercising her rights. A completely truthful woman who does not practice dissimulation is perhaps an impossibility, which is why women see through the dissimulation of others so easily it is inadvisable to attempt it with them. " But this fundamental defect which I have said they possess, together with all that is associated with it, gives rise to falsity, unfaithfulness, treachery, ingratitude, etc. Women are guilty of perjury far more often than men. It is questionable whether they ought to be allowed to take an oath at all.

Feminine charms
Only a male intellect clouded by the sexual drive could call the stunted, narrow-shouldered, broad-hipped and short-legged sex the fair sex: for it is with this drive that all its beauty is bound up. More fittingly than the fair sex, women could be called the unaesthetic sex. Neither for music, nor poetry, nor the plastic arts do they possess any real feeling or receptivity: if they affect to do so, it is merely mimicry in service of their effort to please. This comes from the fact that they are incapable of taking a purely objective interest in anything whatever, and the reason for this is, I think, as follows. Man strives in everything for a direct domination over things, either by comprehending or by subduing them. But woman is everywhere and always relegated to a merely indirect domination, which is achieved by means of man, who is consequently the only thing she has to dominate directly. Thus it lies in the nature of women to regard everything simply as a means of capturing a man, and their interest in anything else is only simulated, is no more than a detour, i.e. amounts to coquetry and mimicry.

spendius

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:54 am
@aidan,
If ever we need an example of the charming feminine characteristic of dissimulation we need look no further than this little gem radiating its surroundings with innocence.

Quote:
All I know is that I could sit and have my eye on someone and pine and pine, but I wasn't supposed to show any sign of having chosen him until he indicated he'd chosen me first.

There are such things as skull piercing hypnotic fields of force my dear. Don't think because they are hard to detect it means they are not putting ideas into the thick skull of the target. The scientists over on the evolution threads would deny that of course. They would think they had done the choosing and the lady had succumbed to their powerful machismo. The saps.

I've been pined at. Quite a bit actually. It is very hard to resist when one is young and unused to such cunning devices and strategies. Experience of the pitfalls is the only cure I know.

What I like so much about Schopenhauer's essay is it's emphasis on the "difference". Vive la difference. One only need imagine farmerman attempting the can-can unironically.

Quote:
And even if a female does choose someone she can't very well act on anything unless the guy is also amenable and chooses her back.

Assuming she is passable, and, as I have pointed out, that is variable, he is a goner. He only thinks he is choosing and thus believes himself in debt. It's no contest actually.

Quote:
Which would indicate that if/when they do go for it- the physical or biological urge might indeed be even stronger if it supercedes all the cultural and societal forces that should be holding them back.

But the whole point of this debate is to expose how weak the cultural and societal forces have become under the influence of Ladymedia. Or "herrin morale" as Spengler called it. Those forces are now so weak, as we have seen on here, that the biological urges, which are known to be periodic, are often overwhelmed by rebelliousness and invidious comparisons with peers and, as you showed, the only way to feel attractive.

When I wor a lad the forces were strong enough to neutralise all three of those considerations and Queenie's record was unthinkable and would have led to her being ostracised. Men read the News then, did the weather and wrote the scripts and women were a damned sight happier than they seem to be now.
0 Replies