McCain shows his true character and leadership

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:21 pm
Quote:
McCain Suspending Campaign, Asks for Debate Delay
Updated 3:12 p.m.
By Michael D. Shear and Robert Barnes
NEW YORK -- Republican presidential nominee John McCain this afternoon said he would suspend his presidential campaign tomorrow to return to Washington and help reach agreement on a plan to solve the financial crisis on Wall Street, and said he wants to delay Friday night's presidential debate.

"It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the Administration's proposal,'' McCain said in a brief statement to reporters. "I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time.''

McCain said he is calling on President Bush "to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem."

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton released a statement reacting to the news.

"At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a proposal," Burton said. "At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator Obama's call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The two campaigns are currently working together on the details."

McCain's remarks follow:

America this week faces an historic crisis in our financial system. We must pass legislation to address this crisis. If we do not, credit will dry up, with devastating consequences for our economy. People will no longer be able to buy homes and their life savings will be at stake. Businesses will not have enough money to pay their employees. If we do not act, ever corner of our country will be impacted. We cannot allow this to happen.

Last Friday, I laid out my proposal and I have since discussed my priorities and concerns with the bill the Administration has put forward. Senator Obama has expressed his priorities and concerns. This morning, I met with a group of economic advisers to talk about the proposal on the table and the steps that we should take going forward. I have also spoken with members of Congress to hear their perspective.

It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the Administration's proposal. I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time.

Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative. I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me.

I am calling on the President to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem.

We must meet as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans, and we must meet until this crisis is resolved. I am directing my campaign to work with the Obama campaign and the commission on presidential debates to delay Friday night's debate until we have taken action to address this crisis.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 23 • Views: 14,996 • Replies: 216

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:32 pm
@McGentrix,
Looks like Obama started this whole bipartisan-solving idea:

Quote:
At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a proposal. At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator Obama's call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The two campaigns are currently working together on the details.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/219357.php
McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:36 pm
@sozobe,
Yeah, that's in the OP.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:38 pm
A serious question:

What is McCain going to do, back in Washington? What leadership is he going to display? He's not on the committee discussing this right now and there's no vote up; what tangible evidence of his work is he going to be able to show people?

You're right, McG; McCain is displaying his true character. He's a coward. And he's failing to lead. He could have suggested that the economic debate be Friday, or that they debate in Washington so that they could work during the day. Instead, he begged off. Pathetic.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:40 pm
@McGentrix,
You're right, I skimmed, sorry.

It really seems to me that Obama's take is the better one. Do what they can, and be bi-partisan and proactive about it. But where does suspending campaigns and delaying debates come into it? Is that really necessary?
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclotroll is once again proving that he has no clue what is going on.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:49 pm
@McGentrix,
To me, character would mean describing things as they actually unfolded in as honest a manner as possible. At this point, it doesn't appear that Senator McCain has done that, but let's let things unfold to see where this goes.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:51 pm
@sozobe,
The results of whatever happens will fall in the lap of the either McCain or Obama. They should be very concerned about this and as they are both sitting Senators they should be even more dutifulin how they go about getting this resolved.

McCain feels he will be more useful to America in Washington D.C. meeting figuring out the hold up, weighing options and negotiating a deal. I don't know what Obama feels as no one seems to have a quote from him on beyond what I have posted.

Obama's supporters apparently feel Obama is a useless cog and should stay in Florida with his thumb up his ass while others actually try to resolve the problems.
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:55 pm
@McGentrix,
But that goes back to... what would they actually DO?

Nothing is currently up for a vote. They're not part of the committees that are dealing with this now.

They would, what, talk to people? Is this not something they can do while handling debate prep -- and the debate -- as well?

Obama chief debate negotiator Rahm Emmanuel -- "We can handle both."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:57 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

The results of whatever happens will fall in the lap of the either McCain or Obama. They should be very concerned about this and as they are both sitting Senators they should be even more dutifulin how they go about getting this resolved.

McCain feels he will be more useful to America in Washington D.C. meeting figuring out the hold up, weighing options and negotiating a deal. I don't know what Obama feels as no one seems to have a quote from him on beyond what I have posted.

Obama's supporters apparently feel Obama is a useless cog and should stay in Florida with his thumb up his ass while others actually try to resolve the problems.

Okay, so, McG: tell me specifically, what is McCain going to DO? What expertise is he going to bring to the table on this issue? McCain isn't going to 'negotiate a deal' on this issue. Why would anyone listen to him?

He's essentially come out in favor of passing a bailout. You do realize that this sets him against YOUR position, and that of the majority of the Republican party in Congress? How is this going to play for him?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:58 pm
Is this just another of McCain's famous, by his own admission, knee-jerk reactions?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:59 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Yeah, that's in the OP.

Which would lead one to wonder why you started with thread with such misleading info.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:15 pm
What a Freakin' Joke!!!!

This is a presidential campaign. It is not a game. It is the most important thing going on right now that will decide the future direction of our country.

If McCain believes that he is a leader that should be president, then he should be campaigning... not running away from the campaign which will put the winner in charge of the economy.

McCain has to suspend his campaign to focus on the economy?

Well, Obama doesn't-- after all he has been focusing on the economy for a long time.

It is sad that conservatives confuse such obvious political gimmicks with "leadership".
ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:17 pm
ABC news is reporting that Obama says "game on".

Let's have a debate.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:23 pm

Obama refuses to treat the financial crisis seriously.

“The truth is that while John McCain sounded the alarm on the need to reform Freddie and Fannie to protect American taxpayers,
Barack Obama took record amounts of their money and refused to take action to reform and regulate them.
If ‘lying’ is saying you did one thing when you actually did the opposite, then Barack Obama just lied,” said McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds.

Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:28 pm
@H2O MAN,
I find it humorous that the Repubs are trying to define "lying"...
JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:30 pm
@Rockhead,
And of all people, Tucker Bounds.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:31 pm
@H2O MAN,
Just a week ago, McCain was saying that the economy was 'fundamentally sound.' Now, it's in such a mess, that he has to suspend his campaign?

FLIP
FLOP

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Shades of Terry Schiavo.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:39 pm
@JTT,
Josh Marshall:

Quote:
09.24.08 -- 4:37PM // link | recommend
Be Honest

Let's state outright a few obvious points. Bringing the presidential candidates and their press entourages back to Capitol Hill won't speed or improve the process of coming up with a good bail out deal. It will politicize it. That's so transparently obvious that it barely requires stating. And of course that is the point.

By going public with his 'suspension' announcement as a breaking news statement McCain intended to make any agreement between the candidate impossible. Contrast that with Obama's campaign which apparently tried to get both campaigns to agree on a common set of principles privately before going public. Finally, there's no logical reason there can't be a presidential debate while a bailout plan is being negotiated.

Finally, does anyone think that McCain would have come up with this gambit if his polls were where they were two weeks ago instead of where they are today?

If anyone can think of any reason why these points are not incontestably accurate, I would be obliged if you could let me know.

He's desperate and reckless. This is what it appears to be: political stunt dressed up as vainglorious self-sacrifice. In other words, typical John McCain.

--Josh Marshall

hee hee

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies