Hanna, Ike and Josephine. Hurricanes of the Week

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:10 pm
@JPB,
Oh geez.

Yes, this was one thing I read:

Quote:
n Surfside Beach, a town of 800, the police chief asked one stubborn couple, David and Dondi Fields, to write their names and Social Security numbers on their forearms with a black marker in case something bad happened to them.

Dondi Fields, 50, wrote "I heart U" and "for my kids" on her arm.

At this point I'm thinking "damn, just go already!!!" Then:

Quote:
But the couple finally decided to leave. Police used an aluminum boat to reach them, and a National Guard truck carried them to safety.

I think the police chief may have been using psychological tactics -- but good on him if so.
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:16 pm
@JPB,
Surge flooding being reported in Tampa-St.Pete, Biloxi, and the Yucatan peninsula.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:21 pm
@sozobe,
That's a general recommendation for those sitting out a major storm. Actually, it's been changed post-Katrina to write your SS# on both arms and your torso in case your arms get separated from your torso. Gruesome, to be sure, but when someone decides to ride out a storm that has been classified as "certain death" then all you can do is help loved ones claim the bodies.

Still trying to stay clinical but it's getting harder to keep my opinions out of this.
sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:26 pm
@JPB,
Yeah.

I really need to shut off the computer and get to bed. Was watching CNN for a while... the reporter was being buffeted by the winds and I kept saying (out loud or not) "get OUT of there!" He said he wasn't because he's in some hotel "built like Fort Knox." Built specifically to withstand hurricanes. Hmm. Sure hope so.

Hope the rest of the news is as good as possible when I wake up tomorrow morning... but I can't say I'm super optimistic. Best of luck to everyone.
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:31 pm
@JPB,
Hurricane hunters are measuring 850mb. Pressure is still dropping.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:33 pm
@sozobe,
Most of the media and city officials are bunkered down in that hotel. Preliminary (unconfirmed) reports are that the hotel is beginning to suffer wind-related damage.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:40 pm
@JPB,
I missed the bunker/hotel story. Galvelston?
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:41 pm
8:00pm computer models show landfall in the middle of Galveston Bay.

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at200809_model_zoom.gif
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yeah. They are going into lockdown at 9:00 pm and not allowing anyone to open any of the sliding doors to try to prevent wind tunnels.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:42 pm
@JPB,
Have a cuppa...

Wink
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:43 pm
@Rockhead,
I'd rather have a drink!
Rockhead

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:43 pm
@JPB,
I dint say what...

0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:44 pm
@JPB,
Is there still a chance it can turn / lessen???? Oh, truly awful for everyone...
Izzie

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:45 pm
@Rockhead,
Got one Wink
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:52 pm
@Izzie,
Yeah, the latest tracking models is actually good (as loosely as I dare use that term) for Galveston and Houston. Ike is expected to make a strong turned to the north shortly after landfall (see tracks above). The right side of the storm is called the "dirty" side since that's where the strongest winds and surge occur. A mid-Bay landfall and rapid turn to the north would put Houston on the "clean" side of the storm.
Izzie

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 08:00 pm
@JPB,
Thanks JPB.... I just can't imagine what these folks are going thru - I suppose that is a good thing... if I can't imagine it, I can send all the posivibes possible. So desperately hoping and praying that Edgar, Mac11, Pdiddies, my niece and their families- and all those we know, and don't know - will be safe. Posivibes winging their way across the pond.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 08:00 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Most of the media and city officials are bunkered down in that hotel. Preliminary (unconfirmed) reports are that the hotel is beginning to suffer wind-related damage.

Apparently is was the Hilton that suffered damage, not the "bunker" (trying to source the name... I think it's the St Louis, or something like that).
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 08:04 pm
@JPB,
Ball HS in Galveston is the "Shelter Of Last Resort" for residents choosing to try to ride out the storm. Lots and lots of windows...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/ff/Bhszoom.jpg/800px-Bhszoom.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 08:47 pm
@JPB,
That looks like a hotel that doesn't pay attention to history. Not to cast blame, not going there, but I've levels of interest. First is for the people in these situations. Next comes shoring up of buildings, better mobile home/small home design re stresses and tieing down, design of new buildings, and the ugly duckling of where to put them, that of course for another day. But still..
look at all that glass right now.

Maybe it is very thick and well held...
doesn't look it but it might be.
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, the picture above is the public high school where the residents can go if they are able to get themselves there. The St Louis hotel is apparently highly fortified and a true bunker. Media and city officials are at the hotel. I don't know that anyone has gone to the high school.