Hanna, Ike and Josephine. Hurricanes of the Week

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:07 pm
@JPB,
Ah, thanks. Didn't look very hotel-ly.

Elevated somewhat, at least in the part with the main glass..
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:20 pm
amazing!

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/%7Egadomski/SATRAPID/anim16ir.html
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:48 pm
@JPB,
I was not intending on posting this tonight but I'm trying to put some perspective to this thing.

The 11:00 update indicates that Ike is still "officially" a Cat 2 storm on the Saffir-Simpson scale with maximum sustained winds of 110mph. Cat 3 storms are those with sustained wind speeds of 111mph - 130mph, so this is as strong a Cat 2 as a Cat 2 can be.

Hurricane Hunters are returning readings of 950mb which is a pressure reading typically observed in a high Cat 3 storm.

Storm surge estimates of 12' - 30' are generally seen in strong Cat 4 - weak Cat 5 storms.

Part of the problem with the heavy emphasis on the Saffir-Simpson scale is that folks make life and death decisions based solely on the SS Category. As we are seeing, the severity of a storm comes from much more than just it's wind speed. People choose to ride out a Cat 2 storm because the last Cat 2 storm wasn't that harsh. Well, this is not your every day Cat 2 storm. The NHC needs to consider other mechanisms of categorizing storms that do not entirely depend on maximum sustained wind speed.

<end of editorial>
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:53 pm
@JPB,
agree w/your qualms on that
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:03 pm
@JPB,
Mirrors my thoughts exactly, as stated earlier. It does kinda look like the eye is getting shredded, so I'm hopeful that trend will continue as landfall approaches. Wind-wise; this doesn't look like it's going to be too terrible inland so I think our friends are safe. I'm mostly worried about the fools who refused to leave the coast.

Watching the idiotic weather guys standing outside in the feeder bands aggravates me. They’re either outside in no danger, which is idiotic… or they’re outside in danger which is even more idiotic.
Izzie

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 03:59 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Sitting, watching, waiting. Safe thoughts to all. x
sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 06:17 am
@Izzie,
Have been catching up (here and in news stories)... seems like things are definitely bad but still unclear HOW bad.

But maybe not as bad as it could have been.

Looks like we'll know more when "search and rescue" missions begin. Sigh.
JPB

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 07:34 am
@sozobe,
Me too. It looks like downtown Houston is getting the brunt of it now. Thinking of our folks and everyone else.

I'll see what I can scope out from some other sites re damage. One note about mainstream media reports from the St. Louis hotel -- What I saw earlier was about 3-4 ft of water in the lower level of the parking garage. This hotel is 20' above the rest of the island and is built on top of an old fort. Conditions at the St Louis doesn't give a good read on the rest of the island. Hopefully there's good news there as well.
Izzie

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:01 am
@JPB,
Oh JPB.... it looks dreadful there.... it's reported here that 4million are without power.... and it could be weeks before some will be reconnected.....

I wish we knew how our friends were. Can't get hold of my niece.

Just awful - the Buffalo Bayou???? has burst it's banks.... horrendous.
JPB

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:08 am
@Izzie,
I generally try to stay away from media-bashing but this post from the WeatherUnderground blog sums up my opinions of mainstream media types. This is a comment about TWC's Stephanie Abrahms broadcasts from the parking garage of the bunker...

Quote:
We are in a quandary as long as the parking garage is flooded we keep her from being a pain and hazard for emergency workers but if she can get out then we can stop seeing the bumper water measure and the chunk o hotel. As much as we want information these reporters cause a problem for rescue workers by being on the roads and being in areas that are in mandatory evacuation areas lead to apathy. People figure with that much expensive equipment the flocks of media have it can't be that bad. Media should lead by example and not be in Mandatory Evac areas. Do they not get that by being there the hotels they are keeping open don't run themselves they are forcing people in low paying "work or get fired" jobs to not be able to evac or be with their families.
JPB

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:27 am
@JPB,
From NOAA -- current report. Still looking for peak surge data.

Ike made landfall at Galveston, TX at about 02:10 CDT on 09/13/2008.

As of 09/13/2008 06:00 CDT, water levels are fall ing along the coast of Southeast Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi; however they still range from 3 to over 10 feet above predicted. Barometric pressure is rising from South Texas to Mississippi; and winds are decreasing, but gusts are still ranging from 30 to near 60 knots at Texas stations.
JPB

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:35 am
@JPB,
This link will take you to the water gauge charts. Some of the gauges are not reporting which is concerning. I'll post a couple examples below.

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/quicklook/data/IKE.html#8771510wl

Eagle Point, Tx
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/quicklook/data/plots/8771510wl.png

Sabine Pass North, Tx
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/quicklook/data/plots/8770570wl.png

The missing gauge readings are between the two above.

Eagle Point's gauge works.
Rollover Pass's gauge broke.
Clear Lake's gauge broke.
Battleship Texas State Park gauge broke.
Morgans Point gauge broke.
And then Sabine Pass works.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:45 am
Do you mean the San Luis Hotel? I used to work there. It is higher than most of the island but the parking garage is not.

I just talked to my sister in Houston and she's fine, reporting that most of Houston is fine as well. There's no power and probably won't be for at least a week so we probably won't be hearing from any a2kers unless they call someone else to post for them.

I agree that media presence sends the wrong message. It's completely stupid not to leave Galveston when a hurricane is coming in. Because there is only a few ways off the island evacuation is pretty easy and you can't get back on the island without proof of residence.
JPB

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:31 am
@boomerang,
BULLSEYE! This is the 3:00 CDT radar of the eye passing through Galveston Bay

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/2008/ike_radar_landfall.gif
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 05:50 pm
Good evening. I was hoping to hear something from our friends in that region by now. But I can understand that they cannot.
Houston Chronicle: 5 million people without power. One energy provider reports 98% of customers are down.
It is not just a matter of a single tree lying cross a single line in some neighborhood. It is those big suckers, those pylons of power, that are down.

The storm and the reporters have moved on. But this is going to be bad.
Izzie

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 04:51 am
@realjohnboy,
Good morning....

Anyone heard anything from the Texas crew by phone yet?

Thinking of everyone - hoping all are safe and well.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:35 am
@Izzie,
Funny you should ask, Miz iz...

Edgar just woke me up (I'M NOT BITCHIN) to let me know that:

He and all of his are safe and sound.

He says no power or water, but his house and property are OK, and while the call was kept short, he sounded good.

Now Ima go back to sleep for a few more hours.
mismi

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:39 am
@Izzie,
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5999540.html
Galveston area - the island seems to have done pretty well all things considered.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/091408dntexikegalveston.7354189d.html
homeless man weathered the storm under a park bench. He thought about going to a shelter...but it was too late. Amazing. People are unhappy they can't get back to their homes. One fatality - lady's oxygen tank wouldn't work when her generator ran out of gas...I think I read.

Hoping to hear from the Texas bunch soon.
mismi

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:40 am
@mismi,
That is great to hear Rock...thanks for letting us know.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:41 am
@Rockhead,
fan...tas...tic!