Ida almost a Category 5

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 07:49 am
https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/?id=79696173
I hope the government is making plans to get in there to help as soon as feasible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 4,871 • Replies: 17
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 08:08 am
@edgarblythe,
Going right over New Orleans. That area has already seen very heavy rainfall this year so water levels are already high.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 09:34 am

Rosanna Landis Weaver
@LandisWeaver
·
34m
I don't think it is well understood how many people did not evacuate for Katrina because they feared missing upcoming checks.
Quote Tweet
KA Semenova
@SemenovaKA
· 20h
Replying to @oldenoughtosay
Once again, like Katrina, this is happening at the end of the month, when those on Social Security etc., are already living on their last few dollars, trying to make it to the first of the month.

Releasing those funds a few days early in emergencies like this wld save lives.
jcboy

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2022 12:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
My friends in St. Pete Florida are all freaking out over hurricane Ian about to hit in a couple days!
engineer

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2022 02:13 pm
@jcboy,
I saw where Gulf temperatures are three degrees (!) warmer than usual and the storm is going to really ramp up in water that warm.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2022 02:40 pm
It's going to be a stinker for certain.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2022 04:10 pm
@engineer,
Last I heard the hurricane moved a little more east so it's heading to the Tampa Bay area, some have to evacuate.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2022 04:13 pm
You all take care of yourselves.
jcboy

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2022 04:48 pm
@izzythepush,
We’re in California now, sold our house in Florida a few years ago. Razz
Ragman

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2022 08:59 pm
We’re attempting to do our snowbird thing and head down to Sarasota on Saturday night. I hope things are settled down by then. Sure is looking fugly at the moment. We’ve been lucky so far.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2022 05:07 am

Lightning flashes across Gulf of Mexico in satellite footage of Hurricane Ian

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2022 06:25 am
@Ragman,
The rains might be over, but power could be out for a while. Based on my experience with Florence a few years ago, I would put that trip off for a week.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2022 10:48 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

We’re in California now, sold our house in Florida a few years ago. Razz

Quitter! Surprised

Wink
jcboy

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2022 12:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
And I don't miss Florida Razz

Most of my St. Pete peeps are without power!
Ragman

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2022 05:08 am
@jcboy,
We’re waiting for a few return calls from our friends in our complex in Sarasota. Across town my SIL reported she was without power around late afternoon early evening.
jcboy

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2022 08:31 am
@Ragman,
Yeah Sarasota got hit pretty hard. I've been following a few on Facebook in St. Pete, some still without power.
Ragman

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2022 03:27 pm
@jcboy,
Our home apparently has power and never went out. The only service missing is cable service.v there is Internet. We’ll fly down as planned on Saturday night. Our dog will not be thrilled about this whole deal.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2022 01:44 pm
We’ll Ice been home for 3.5 days and I’m fairly amazed at how little damage there was in our immediate area of southern Sarasota county. We’re a few miles inland nestled into palm trees and scraggly Live Oak.

All of the dead palm fronds (large dry conical projectiles) are everywhere. Tons of debris and lots of uprooted branches and uprooted trunks, though not as much as I had thought. My usual landscaping efforts of trimming our bushes and shrubs and blowing away debris typically takes a few hours to make it look good. This time it’ll take about 4-5 hours over a two day interval.

I’m “springing” a neighbor out of her “hurricane shutter jail”. Unfortunately She’s got heart issues and mobility limitations so I volunteered my efforts to take her shutters down. Wisely, we chose not to have ours put up. Thankfully they weren’t needed.

All is well once again… until the next one!
0 Replies