Hanna, Ike and Josephine. Hurricanes of the Week

JPB

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:12 pm
@mismi,
Hiya, (((mis!)))

Quick update... Billy has a job. Not a paying job but he's putting his time to good use by volunteering at the resource center where the supplies were dropped off on Saturday. He was there both Saturday and Sunday helping out while the guys were off-loading the truck or handing out pizzas and decided to volunteer on an on-going basis.

He had a couple cold nights Sunday and Monday but the camping supplies included a portable heater so he was all set.

We're going to try to go back in December and see if we can bring a holiday party for the kids of the area along with us. I'm going to try hard to be on site for that event if it comes to pass.
JPB

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 04:37 pm
@JPB,
WooHoo! I just became a Neil Diamond fan.

Quote:

When he takes the stage tonight in St. Louis, soft-rock legend Neil Diamond has an unusual speech planned amid wildly popular renditions of America and Sweet Caroline.

He wants to tell fans about Oak Island: the heaping, rotting piles of debris; the hundreds of homes washed away; and the people, some still sleeping in tents and cars, struggling to rebuild after Hurricane Ike decimated the area in September.

Two weeks ago, after his concert in Houston, Diamond paid an incognito visit to the small, unincorporated hamlet in Trinity Bay and was shocked by the devastation.

Ever since, he has given something of a stump speech about the former fishing village at each of his concerts. And, operating almost completely under the radar, he has promised to donate 100 percent of the gross merchandise sales at 20 concerts to assist in the rebuilding of the small community, which sits just a few miles south of Anahuac in Chambers County. Proceeds could reach millions of dollars.

"These people are in big trouble and I want to help," Diamond said. "It may only be a drop in the bucket, but I'm going to ask my audiences in every city that I play to help. So far they've come through to the tune of more than $700,000. I intend to keep asking until the end of this tour."
link
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 10:15 am
This new video shows the water vapor of all of the 2008 named storms in the first half and then focuses specifically on Gustav, Hanna, and Ike in the second half.

mac11

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 09:38 am
@JPB,
Ok, I'm officially a weather geek. I watched the whole thing...
JPB

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 10:26 am
@mac11,
Very Happy
0 Replies