Hanna, Ike and Josephine. Hurricanes of the Week

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 04:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
(nervous.. primarily for edgar to get settled, but for everybody..)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 04:55 pm
@JPB,
Ike appears to have a true eye.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/gmex/rb-l.jpg
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 04:58 pm
@JPB,
gusts of 37 and 40mph winds reported in downtown Houston.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:00 pm
@JPB,
Sheesh, that is Wichita twice a week...

Ed, please err on the side of careful...

(fer the dawg)
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:02 pm
@Rockhead,
I suspect it will not be a whole lot longer. I asked my wife to keep the camera handy.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:04 pm
@JPB,
You have some phone numbers, edgar. Please call one of those folks when yall get to your apt so that they and the rest of us know you are where you are going to be hunkering down.
By the way, putting peanut butter on the roof of a dog's mouth will keep it distracted for quite a long time.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
They just issued a 7 PM curfew for the county. That means it is time to head out. I thank you one and all. Will return when possible. And, yes, I have the phone numbers. Thanks again. See ya real soon.
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:13 pm
@JPB,
The eye wall has converged to half of it's previous loose configuration and wind speeds are increasing to 110 mphs. Ike appears to be strengthening just before landfall -- not good news.
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Glad you're heading out, edgar. Be safe. Caring thoughts go with you.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 06:11 pm
Good lord - I hadnt been paying attention to this thread, but I just saw this posted on some blog - it's the National Hurricane Center's advisory for the Galveston area:

Quote:
"NEIGHBORHOODS THAT ARE AFFECTED BY THE STORM SURGE...AND POSSIBLY ENTIRE COASTAL COMMUNITIES... WILL BE INUNDATED DURING THE PERIOD OF PEAK STORM TIDE. PERSONS NOT HEEDING EVACUATION ORDERS IN SINGLE FAMILY ONE OR TWO STORY HOMES MAY FACE CERTAIN DEATH. MANY RESIDENCES OF AVERAGE CONSTRUCTION DIRECTLY ON THE COAST WILL BE DESTROYED. WIDESPREAD AND DEVASTATING PERSONAL PROPERTY DAMAGE IS LIKELY ELSEWHERE. VEHICLES LEFT BEHIND WILL LIKELY BE SWEPT AWAY. NUMEROUS ROADS WILL BE SWAMPED...SOME MAY BE WASHED AWAY BY THE WATER. ENTIRE FLOOD PRONE COASTAL COMMUNITIES WILL BE CUTOFF. WATER LEVELS MAY EXCEED 9 FEET FOR MORE THAN A MILE INLAND. COASTAL RESIDENTS IN MULTI-STORY FACILITIES RISK BEING CUTOFF. CONDITIONS WILL BE WORSENED BY BATTERING WAVES CLOSER TO THE COAST. SUCH WAVES WILL EXACERBATE PROPERTY DAMAGE...WITH MASSIVE DESTRUCTION OF HOMES...INCLUDING THOSE OF BLOCK CONSTRUCTION. DAMAGE FROM BEACH EROSION COULD TAKE YEARS TO REPAIR."

Good lord. I hope everyone will be allright, and Ed is the closest by? Then him especially... Shocked
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 06:22 pm
@nimh,
Here's hoping that the edgarB's, the pdiddies and mac11 are hunkered down someplace comfortable and safe (and have plenty of water).

Izzie

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 06:24 pm
@ehBeth,
Thinking of everyone.... can't access TV - please keep us posted when you can....

xxxxxxxxxxxx
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 06:50 pm
@JPB,
Ike appears to have stalled. Winds building, pressure dropping slightly.
sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 06:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Glad edgar's left, glad he has phone numbers.

Just checking in for the first time in a while... is stalling good or bad at this point? (Not sure where Ike is right now.)
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 06:55 pm
Oh no... the eye is looking much more defined... which usually indicates strength.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/US/weather/09/12/hurricane.ike.texas/t1wide.445p.ap.jpg
Not good.
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 06:56 pm
@JPB,
Power is now out in most of Galveston. Hurricane force winds, record storm surge, high tide, total blackness, and nothing to do but wait for the sun to rise.

The mind boggles.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 06:56 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
It's building to hit the coast. This is not a nice storm...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 06:59 pm
@sozobe,
Stalling is bad.

The longer he stalls the longer he can gain strength before coming ashore. Also, the longer he stalls, the closer landfall will come to coinciding with high tide. Strengthening equals higher winds and higher surge. All coupled with high tide and occurring in the middle of the night.

The effect of all of this will still be determined by the exact location of landfall in relation to Galveston Bay. Current tracks are still that he will make landfall slightly to the west of the bay. Worst case for Galveston and possibly for Houston.
sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:02 pm
@JPB,
Ack.

Thanks for the further info. Had been reading up between posting and now, that's still more cogent than what I'd found.

Yikes, though.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:06 pm
@JPB,
media reports are that people are already standing on their roofs hoping for an air evac. Not going to happen. Those who went to their roofs post Katrina were climbing away from rising water. These folks are climbing into what will be hurricane force winds and a 15+ ft surge. In LA the people were rescued from rising waters from a broken levee. In MS the houses were demolished by the surge.