Hanna, Ike and Josephine. Hurricanes of the Week

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:29 am
@Izzie,
Here's hoping all gets through this okay.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:52 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

The Lovely Miss Letty lives on the east coast of FL about half way up. She should be spared any trouble this time.
Look at the map JPB posted. The worst case scenario for some of us is the black line on the left. The dot where Hanna would come ashore would be close to Charleston SC. The next state up is NC and the black dot there is pretty close to Raleigh. The yellow dot in the next state, VA, is just east of Cville.
We all hope Hanna will get pushed east. We will still get a bunch of rain, but be spared the wind.

Thanku for that info RJB.... thinking of you and all along the East Coast right now..... please keep us posted when you can and take very good care. x
JPB

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
The five day forecast earlier this morning showed Ike running straight up the center of FL. The 11:00 track has moved it further south and heading cleanly into the gulf after it cuts through the Keys. Man 'o man!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/AL0908W5.gif
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:01 pm
@Izzie,
Phoenix lives in the Tampa Bay area right in Ike's path.

My son moved away from that area two years ago.

BBB
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:03 pm
@JPB,
Here are the rest of the computer models for Ike.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200809_model.gif
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:26 pm
My trusty atlas seems to show Charleston at 79.8W 32.7N and the 2 pm Friday tracking shows possible landfall 79.4W 32.8N. So we can call that a direct hit at around 6 am Saturday. I guess the "good" news is that Hanna is still a tropical storm. But that still means 70 mph winds and a whole lot of rain for those of us in its path.
Good luck to everyone in the beautiful city of Charleston. We look forward, CoastalRat, to keep hearing your reports.
JPB

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
The other piece of "good" news is that she's moving at 19mph and isn't going to be hanging around any one place for any length of time. One of the points made this morning by one of the Weather Channel dudes is that a 20mph storm dumps approx half the rain as a 10mph storm. Not trying to minimize what's coming, but there are a couple of things to be grateful for with Hanna.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:41 pm
@JPB,
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200809_5day.gif
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's gonna be a booger.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 04:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't like Ike.
(I came up, I think, with that headline 1st. You need to be really old to catch the joke).
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:07 pm
@realjohnboy,
I recall it well. Unfortunately. I wish I were too young to know.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:09 pm
Hi everyone. Well, we've had periods of rain with a tiny bit of wind as each band comes through Charleston, but it hasn't been too bad. I actually live about 18 miles from downtown Charleston so it won't be quite so bad here as downtown. At least I don't need to worry so much about flooding.

But now, based on the latest update, it looks like Hanna has jumped back east a bit, putting landfall closer to the NC border. So it now looks like Charleston may not get the brunt of Hanna. We still expect some rather strong winds in the next few hours plus lots more rain.

But we're all battened down and waiting. Then tomorrow all eyes will be on Ike, which looks like it won't come up this way but will cause problems for Florida. Hopefully all will be well for any A2K'ers down there.

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:33 pm
@CoastalRat,
Indeed, The 5 pm plotting of Hanna has it tracking slightly more to the east which would be good for Charleston and for me, here in VA.
Best wishes. Keep in touch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:00 pm
@CoastalRat,
I seem to remember Charleston being hit some years ago, betting they've shored up since, but would have to read up on it and its surroundings. Have an old boss who used to jump from rooftop to rooftop..
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sure looks it. I don't like the color of those centers one bit.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:26 pm
It is late. Time for RJB to go to bed. It is raining, coming from the east.
CoastalRat has the most immediate story to tell re Hanna. But here is my story.
I live on the east side of the Blue Ridge Mountains. They are only about 3000 ft tall, but they can do strange things to our weather. Storms can get hung up in there for days.
The worst example was Camille in 1979 (?). It hurt the Gulf Coast and was duly reported on, but then was forgotten about. Forgotten about until the remnants of it hit here. It had trouble getting over the mountains of Albemarle and Nelson counties. And it rained. It rained a lot.
The Nelson County Police Chief told of standing near the bridge over the main road, Rt 29. and seeing wood and cars and cows whooshing by.
Here in VA we have "hollows." Kind of like valleys, but only perhaps a half a mile wide with a steep slope from west to east. Bacon Hollow, Sugar Hollow, Blackwell's Hollow. Some of them you would not want to venture into, up the steep dirt roads. Even Johnboy, a true Redneck, would never think of visiting folks in those insular hollows.
So the Police guy watched the wood and cars and cows go by. And he knew that this was bad.
The first person to make it into this hollow was a U.S. Park Ranger who managed to trek down from the top. The hollow, he reported, had been totally flushed out. Down to bedrock. No soil, no structures, no livestock. Nothing.

We are far away from the coast, far away from the the heavy winds. Far away from the reporters. But this is our fear.
Izzie

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 07:55 am
@realjohnboy,
A very real fear too RJB. Take care hun x

Wishing everyone safe and well.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 08:36 am
@Izzie,
Good morning. I hope everybody will be checking in today, to let us know theyare all right. Ike worries me more and more. It continually tracks west in each newer projection. Where it is headed, nobody knows.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 08:37 am
@edgarblythe,
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200808.gif
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 08:39 am
@edgarblythe,
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200809_5day.gif