Alberto, Beryl, Chris, Debby...The 2012 Hurricane Season.

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 03:38 pm
Alberto formed off the coast of FL. After briefly threatening SC and NC he headed harmlessly into the Atlantic.
Follow this site again this year for the maps and charts as well as reports from A2K'ers on the scene.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 12:18 am
@realjohnboy,
Is there a website where you can learn what the alphabetical roster of storms is this year, rjb?
Ragman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 08:42 am
@Lustig Andrei,
In the OP title there's a start of the listing of names. Here are the rest:

http://goflorida.about.com/od/floridaweather/a/hurricane_names.htm
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 09:46 am
@Ragman,
Thx, Rag.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 10:38 am
Beryl, the 2nd named storm of the young Atlantic season, is heading SW towards the border between FL and GA. It is then projected to move up the coast...GA, SC, NC before heading out to sea off of VA.
High winds are not expected to be a factor.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 04:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
Sounds like you guys will not be having a real pleasant Memorial Day weekend, weatherwise.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 05:04 pm
@realjohnboy,
Beryl is approaching as we speak, RJB
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 09:24 am
Quote:
A good majority of the forecast guidance is now pointing towards tropical development to occur in the far northwestern Caribbean sometime next weekend and for this tropical system to track northward across the Gulf of Mexico shortly thereafter. With such strong model agreement and consistency, my confidence is growing that we will have the development of Tropical Storm Chris by sometime next weekend.

AL and the FL panhandle are getting drenched this weekend. It looks like TX and LA will get their turn next weekend.

http://www.crownweather.com/?p=7007
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 01:21 pm
I see that there is a storm system forming off of the Yucatan Peninsula that is given a 70% chance of developing into a tropical storm in the next two days.
Ragman

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 01:26 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yeah.....not much on potential winds...but a ton of rain. The storm is supposed to sit in place for 3 days they said in the middle of Gulf.

Some forecast uncertainties exist....as they don't know who and where all that rain will land on. Really uncertain are the computer spaghetti-trail projections for the metro areas of Tampa Bay, Pensacola or let's say Mobile AL. But the bottom line for me is I'm stocking up on water, candles and storm supplies (beer) now.
JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 03:33 pm
@Ragman,
FL is the odds-on bet for landfall but much uncertainty still exists.

http://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/images/at201296_ensmodel.gif
JPB

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 12:41 pm
@JPB,
Anyone have a dart?

http://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/images/at201296_model.gif
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 03:18 pm
@JPB,
Well the forecasters have 5 different computer projections.

They're calling it Debby..if it develops further.

Forecasters all are not sure if they know where it's going still as its center still disorganized as a 'tropical wave'. It'll meander in the gulf around for another 2 days they say but currently a cool front to north is pushing it from going too far northward..

Here in No. Sarasota...some rain last night..and steady rain much of the day. Not too breezy but that 'll develop over the next 24 hrs, so they say.

My bet is on whatever form it's in will hit land near north FL in panhandle- Pensacola area.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 03:24 pm
It's official. Just call me Debby.
Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 03:28 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yup! Thanks.

I'm listening to the latest now. Debby is approx at about a peak of 50 mph. The European computer model is alleged to the accepted best guess and that has been most accurate over the years. It is plotting to aiming westward by next Thursday evening heading towards mid to south TX coast.

Meanwhile Dallas and Denver - Rockies is/are roasting at 105 F and needs a good cool down
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 06:35 pm
The five day cone shows Debbie tracking towards Texas.

http://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/images/at201204_5day.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 07:15 pm
I have been watching Debby. Not ready to say it will come here, the Houston/Galveston area.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 07:23 pm
Tropical storm or not, you could use the rain. Is that true?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 08:15 pm
I would welcome a nice rain. But, Houston is out of the drought this year. We have done quite well.
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 05:06 am
@edgarblythe,
Who knows with this one? Still off and on rain here Sarasota-Bradenton.
Very little movement right now.

Clearwater (north of Tampa) is having some local flooding. There are some tornado warnings over a 50 mile radius on FL west coast ... Tampa northward.

Further up the coast, Debby is fanning out a little, affecting areas from Tallahassee to Apalachicola. They seem to be getting the brunt of heavy rains and some winds. I think these confused and conflicting computer models are shifting emphasis to a more northerly as opposed to westerly progress - sparing TX. Big surf in Pensacola and panhandle of FL.