Terror at Orlando Nightclub, 20 Feared Dead.

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 07:42 am
Quote:
Police: Approximately 20 dead inside Florida nightclub after mass shooting

Approximately 20 people are dead inside Pulse, a gay nightclub, Orlando Police Chief John Mina said Sunday morning, just hours after a shooter opened fire in the club. At least 42 people have been transported for medical treatment, he said.

Police have shot and killed the gunman, Mina told reporters.

"It's appears he was organized and well-prepared," the chief said, adding that the shooter had an assault-type weapon, a handgun and "some type of (other) device on him."

At least nine officers were involved in the shootout, Mina said. Several coroner vans were seen traveling toward the nightclub.

One officer suffered an eye injury when a bullet struck his Kevlar helmet, said Danny Banks, special agent in charge of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's Orlando bureau. The helmet saved the officer's life, Banks said.

The shooter is not from the Orlando area, Mina said.

Orlando authorities said they consider the violence an act of domestic terror.

The FBI is involved. While investigators are exploring all angles, they "have suggestions the individual has leanings towards (Islamic terrorism), but right now we can't say definitely," said Ron Hopper, assistant special agent in charge of the FBI's Orlando bureau.

The shooting began around 2 a.m., and an officer who was working at the club responded, Mina said. The officer engaged in a shootout outside the club, after which the gunman ran into the club.

"That turned into a hostage situation," Mina said.

Authorities were getting calls from people inside the club but away from the gunman, the chief said.

More police rushed to the scene and broke down a door with an armored vehicle, helping some 30 club-goers flee to safety, Mina said. At that point police shot and killed the gunman, he said.

CNN affiliate WKMG video captured clubgoers carrying injured people from the club.

"It's just shocking," said Christopher Hansen who was inside Pulse. He heard gunshots, "just one after another after another. It could have lasted a whole song," he said.

"Everyone get out of Pulse and keep running," the nightclub posted on its Facebook page shortly after the violence began.

Orlando police warned residents to stay away from the area, and urged people not to call their offices. They declined to provide the number of casualties, saying details will be available later. Bomb sniffing dogs are on the scene.
(CNN)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 36 • Views: 21,349 • Replies: 300

revelette2

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 07:50 am
@Region Philbis,
I read the FBI are calling it an act of terrorism. It is a national disgrace that these shootings happen so frequently. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

FBI investigating act of terrorism
Blickers

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:07 am
The US gun culture at work. Take a problem or conflict and make it ten times worse.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:17 am

breaking news --

The Orlando nightclub terror shooter has been identified as Omar Saddiqui Mateen, two law enforcement officials tell CNN.

The suspect is from Fort Pierce, Florida, officials say.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:57 am
50 people killed in mass shooting at gay nightclub in Orlando, police chief says

0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 09:23 am
I wish they wouldn't even bother doing the gun control dance again, but I know they will. The advocates for stricter gun control will say this is an example of why military style assault rifles and large capacity magazines should be banned. The gun advocates will say that there are already enough laws, and that laws won't stop criminals from committing atrocities. And on we go.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 09:27 am
I don't know how many millions or even billions of guns are privately owned, but gun control lost its opportunities long ago. Any gun laws will barely scratch the surface. It is in people's hearts to change or go on with the senselessness of it all.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 10:07 am
Hello, this is no act of terror - this is blatant discrimination and violence against gays. It's no coincidence that a gay club was chosen, it was a deliberate callous act against one group of people.

50 people dead, 54 wounded - the NRA can be proud of themselves!
After all it's people who kill people, not guns, right? I could vomit about all this ignorance!!
revelette2

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 10:14 am
Whether it is an act of terror against a gay nightclub or a hate crime against a gay nightclub either by domestic terrorist or foreign terrorist, fifty people have died by guns. Terrorist have said the easiest way to commit a terrorist act is to go to gun shows. Giving up on the gun debate is just that, giving in to death and destruction. Before making definitive statements, people should wait until more facts come in. Personally I believe the FBI if the FBI are calling it an act of terror. It could very well be homegrown terrorist or it might be ISIS. Either way, it shameful and terrible.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 10:17 am
Just for the record, please note the users that have turned this tragedy into a gun debate... again.
revelette2

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 10:18 am
@McGentrix,
Should we turn into something else, if they used bombs, would it be ok to say people shouldn't have bombs? Killing is killing.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 10:28 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Just for the record, please note the users that have turned this tragedy into a gun debate... again.

How can you talk about this event without talking about guns? How can you talk about guns without talking about the crazy number of guns and gun fueled atrocities there are in the US? And how can you talk about that without talking about how to change it?

I wish all you ******* 2nd Amendment fetishists would wake the **** up.
Blickers

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 10:29 am
@McGentrix,
Somebody runs into a nightclub and shoots 50 people dead. Why does this kind of thing happen a lot more over here than places where guns are not sold all over the place?
snood

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 10:30 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Somebody runs into a nightclub and shoots 50 people dead. Why does this kind of thing happen a lot more over here than places where guns are not sold all over the place?

He wants to talk about atrocities like this but leave out the gun part, or else it's "libruls turning it into a gun debate".
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 11:33 am
The way I see it, the NRA is making it easier for terrorist to commit terrorist acts by guns.

updates on nightclub shooting

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 11:40 am
I imagine neither these murderers nor their victims care how we categorize these crimes, but I think this pretty clearly a hate crime and terrorism. The murderer is terrorizing gays. How do they feel this morning? Hunted.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 11:58 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

You really don't see how this tragedy is connected to the gun debate... again.... again... and again?
panzade

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 12:02 pm
Shooters parents live a couple blocks from me. Place is swarming with cops.
His dad says perp went ballistic when he saw two men kissing.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 12:04 pm
@McGentrix,
How can you not? Seeing your Trump moniker now, I don't even have to go further - if you are indeed promoting Trump, any discussion with you will be talking to a white supremacist wall.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 12:07 pm
Quote:
FBI investigating Orlando shooting massacre as an act of terrorism, President Obama says

Quote:
President Obama says Orlando shooting massacre 'was an act of terror, and an act of hate'

(from link)

The reason they are calling it an act of terror is because of the following:

Quote:
Omar Mateen called 911 just before Orlando club shooting, swore allegiance to head of Islamic State, multiple law enforcement officials say - NBC News