Terror at Orlando Nightclub, 20 Feared Dead.

Builder

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 12:46 am
@Blickers,
Still got your blinkers on?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 02:42 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Read the OP. The "tally" went from 20 to 50.
they hadn't yet found the other 29 corpses when i posted the article.

Quote:
Still no convincing video of anything.
add me to the list of those who do not wish to see footage of innocent people getting massacred...
Builder

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 02:55 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
they hadn't yet found the other 29 corpses when i posted the article.

So, just a quick head count of those in the foyer, perhaps? Found a private gaming room out the back, with more cadavers?

I gave you more credit for intelligence than this. I apologise for that.
Builder

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 02:58 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
add me to the list of those who do not wish to see footage of innocent people getting massacred...

Lots of peeps here cheered when Colonel Qaddafi was murdered in the street. Were you one of them?
snood

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 07:38 am
Can anyone explain to me the logic of banning people on the terrorist watch list from flying, but allowing those same people to buy guns? Newsweek has some hand-wringing about the conundrum here.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 08:10 am
Folks, most people understand how horrific it is when a crazy man decides to snuff out the lives of others. If it only happened once it would be soul crushing, but it has happened over and over and over with sickening regularity here in the United States. I don't think I want to compare tragedies and rank them in some order of importance for the edification of a lone gawker who sees our tragedies as entertainment or as some sort of conspiracy for murky purposes that only exist in the crevices of a fevered mind.

Lets not take our eyes off what we need to do as a nation. Its a distraction to indulge idle curiosity of outsiders or become angry when we see others trying to pick at our wounds. All that can happen is we will remain confused and uncertain and hopeless. Just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean any of us are required to waste time trying to pacify them.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 08:24 am
Chic Fil A, notorious for dissing gays, cooked up ON SUNDAY, loads of food in Orlando, and passed it out free of charge to those waiting in long lines to donate blood. Shows they can disagree and still be human, I suppose.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 09:11 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
...you're just making stuff up.

That would be what the corporate media are doing, by claiming this is the worst terror attack on US soil.

Share with us why you're taking everything the media says at face value, roger. Is it because of their record of honesty with you in the past?

From what I've read, they're calling it the worst mass shooting in the US. I haven't read anywhere that they're calling it the worst terror attack on US soil.
Lash

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 09:33 am
@edgarblythe,
I'm so heartened to hear this.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 10:36 am
@InfraBlue,
I've heard "worst/biggest terrorist attack in the US since 9/11".

If nothing else, it's also a direct quote from Republican Michael McCaul

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/mccaul-worst-terrorst-attack-on-american-soil-sinc/nrfHK/
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 12:37 pm
Obama: "Calling A Threat By A Different Name Does Not Make It Go Away. This Is A Political Distraction"

Quote:
BARACK OBAMA: And let me make a final point. For a while now, the main contribution of some of my friends on the other side of the aisle have made in the fight against ISIL is to criticize this administration and me for not using the phrase radical Islam. That's the key, they tell us. We can't beat ISIL unless we call them radical Islamists. What exactly would using this label accomplish? What exactly would it change? Would it make ISIL less committed to trying to kill Americans? Would it bring in more allies? Is there a military strategy that is served by this? The answer is none of the above. Calling a threat by a different name does not make it go away. This is a political distraction.

Since before I was president, I've been clear about how extremist groups have perverted Islam to justify terrorism. As president, I have repeatedly called on our Muslim friends and allies at home and around the world to work with us to reject this twisted interpretation of one of the world's great religions. There's not been a moment in my seven and a half years as president where we have not been able to pursue a strategy because we didn't use the label radical Islam. Not once has an advisor of mine said, man, if we really use that phrase, we're going to turn this whole thing around. Not once.

So someone seriously thinks that we don't know who we're fighting? If there's anyone out there who thinks we're confused about who our enemies are, that would come as a surprise to the thousands of terrorists who we've taken off the battlefield. If the implication is that those of us up here and the thousands of people around the country and around the world who are working to defeat ISIL aren't taking the fight seriously, that would come as a surprise to those whove spent these last 7.5 years dismantling al-Qaeda in the FATA for example. Including the men and women in uniform who put their lives at risk and the special forces that I ordered to get bin Laden and are now on the ground in Iraq and in Syria. They know full well who the enemy is. So do the intelligence and law enforcement officers who spent countless hours disrupting plots and protecting all Americans, including politicians who tweet and appear on cable news shows. They know who the nature of the enemy is.

So there's no magic to the phrase radical Islam. It's a political talking point. It's not a strategy. And the reason I am careful about how I describe this threat has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with actually defeating extremism. Groups like ISIL and al-Qaeda want to make this war a war between Islam and America or between Islam and the west. They want to claim that they are the true leaders of over a billion Muslims around the world who reject their crazy notions. They want us to validate them by implying that they speak for those billion plus people. That they speak for Islam. That's their propaganda. That's how they recruit. And if we fall into the trap of painting all Muslims with a broad brush and imply that we are at war with an entire religion, then we are doing the terrorists' work for them.
engineer

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 12:47 pm
Has anyone seen the reports that the shooter had been to the club several times over a three year period and was known to patrons through gay social media apps? I'm a firm believer in trusting your indications and if they guy called 911 and said he is an ISIS adherent, I'd definitely start with that, but the idea that he was a closeted gay man who could not resolve his religion with his biology seems to be gaining traction.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 01:21 pm
@revelette2,
such a simple and brilliant point

revelette2 wrote:

Obama: "Calling A Threat By A Different Name Does Not Make It Go Away. This Is A Political Distraction"

Quote:
BARACK OBAMA: And if we fall into the trap of painting all Muslims with a broad brush and imply that we are at war with an entire religion, then we are doing the terrorists' work for them.

I hope many many many people understand this.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 01:22 pm
@engineer,
Several of my friends in the community suggest he was identifying targets. I'm not at all sure which take makes more sense.
Lash

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 01:37 pm
@engineer,
Yes. Looks like self-hating gay guy and suicide by cleansing martyrdom.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 01:40 pm
@engineer,
It was both, hate crime and a terrorist act; if he was alive, probably would have been in prison the rest of his life.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 01:47 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Foofie wrote:

CalamityJane wrote:

Hello, this is no act of terror - this is blatant discrimination and violence against gays. It's no coincidence that a gay club was chosen, it was a deliberate callous act against one group of people.

50 people dead, 54 wounded - the NRA can be proud of themselves!
After all it's people who kill people, not guns, right? I could vomit about all this ignorance!!

i just wonder if there are dots to be connected with the attack in France, or for that matter the attack in Tel Aviv. Meaning, the common denominators were soft targets of young non-Muslim people living a NON-Shiria lifestyle. There's an old American saying, "If it quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it might just be a duck."

P.S.: All the perps were Muslims. All the victims were "infidels."

I haven't read anywhere that the Tel Aviv terrorists were Islamists. Palestinian indignation against the Zionists' oppression is the motivating factor behind the recent attacks in Israel.

You don't have to read anything about "Islamists" to understand that the westbank occupation is offensive to Palestinians, since being under the hegemony of Jews is very humiliating. Palestinians weren't humiliated pre-1967, under the hegemony of Jordan. In my opinion, many another nation victorious in a war would have already annexed the westbank, and made the Palestinians Israeli citizens. Oh, the horror (Marlon Bando's famous line in Apocalypse Now about the horrors of war, but meant differently I think?)

Foofie

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 01:59 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Folks, most people understand how horrific it is when a crazy man decides to snuff out the lives of others.

I take umbarage with assigning the perpetrator the moniker of "crazy man." I have heard too many people say Hitler was crazy. No he wasn't. He just had no remorse for his victims, and he knew exactly why he did what he did. He was remaking Europe. And, terrorists have their endgame as remaking society, in my opinion. Not crazy. You do know the term sociopathic? (Previously referred to as psychopathic, but college courses today prefer sociopathic. Might sound more intellectual?) Perhaps, that should be included in any analysis of who can do such acts. The question is whether today specific beliefs lends itself to sociopathic behavior. Sort of like whether the Crusades one-thousand years ago include a lot of blood thirsty Christians????
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 02:16 pm
@Builder,
You get it off by shocking people with your off the wall bull shyt. That translated to lies. Nothing in any papers or news media yet as to movies of the massacre. Dont understand why anyone posts to a liar like you. It only encourages you to become more and more of a liar. And if someone posts movies of this act I sure as hell wont watch any of it.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 02:20 pm
@glitterbag,
Its OK glitter. The house had a moment of "silence" again and made it all better. In the next 50 or 60 years they may even ban military long guns and 100 round magazines.
0 Replies