Terror at Orlando Nightclub, 20 Feared Dead.

parados

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 01:25 pm
@oralloy,
What you also don't know is true is that "pistol grips are merely cosmetic features." Not knowing if it was true certainly hasn't prevented you from claiming it is.

One only has to read multiple arguments against banning pistol grips to see how many feel it is not a cosmetic feature.
George

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 02:32 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Its clear that you would favor banning semi automatic guns with detachable
magazines, pistol grip or not. How about a belt fed semi? And if your goal is
really minimizing deaths and you manage to ban semi autos, why not make all
guns single shot and ban revolvers? And then...

Oralloy is right about the only place an 'assault weapons' ban leads. A ban on
guns or at least a desire to.
Clear? Seriously?
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:06 pm
@snood,
Did you also miss the part where the ban cost several politicians their jobs?

That is the ONLY reason it doesn't go farther.
snood

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:10 pm
@Leadfoot,
Please post some source for your assertion that "several" politicians lost their jobs as a result of the assault weapons ban. And for your prognostication that someone's after all your guns.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:10 pm
@George,
Quote:
Clear? Seriously?
Or maybe you are just practicing for you debate team finals?
I don't waste keystrokes unless my heart is in it.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:15 pm
@snood,
Oh do your own homework Snood.
snood

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:22 pm
@Leadfoot,
So, you can make any harebrained statement and when challenged just tell them to "go look it up"? Well, I guess you can never lose an argument, but that's very junior high school.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:37 pm
@snood,
Seriously, you are not aware of that happening, after all the moaning about the NRA controlling politicians?. I don't remember their names but two of them were actually recalled and ousted AFTER being elected because they voted in favor of a gun control measure. It was just a few years ago here in CO.

What the hell, I'll look it up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/11/us/colorado-lawmaker-concedes-defeat-in-recall-over-gun-law.html?_r=0
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:19 pm
@George,
George wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Even if you twist the law around backwards that way, I can still apply the same arguments against it.

Please do. I can still refute them.

I did. I think you just agreed with my argument.

George wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I've yet to hear anyone come up with a good reason for a law that will apply only to guns that have certain harmless cosmetic features.

Neither have I, but that is not what we are discussing, is it?

I thought so. That is my argument against the law even after you twisted everything inside out, that you think you can still refute.

George wrote:
We are discussing your mistaken assertion that this law ONLY bans pistol grips.

Whether one says "it only bans pistol grips", or twists everything around and then says "it only applies to guns with pistol grips", either way the law is still based around harmless cosmetic features like pistol grips.

(This as well is a statement of my argument applied against the law after you turn it inside out, if you want to try refuting this version of my argument.)

George wrote:
I'm no constitutional scholar, but I agree with you. Your point is irrelevant to this discussion, but it's nice to find common ground.

I find this point to be absolutely vital.
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:22 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
That is a baseless dodge.

Liberals really do always incrementally push further gun bans every time there is a mass shooting.

They never stop trying, and until their bankrupt ideology is comprehensively driven out of American politics forever, they will never stop trying.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:25 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
What you also don't know is true is that "pistol grips are merely cosmetic features." Not knowing if it was true certainly hasn't prevented you from claiming it is.

No, I have a pretty good handle on that fact.

parados wrote:
One only has to read multiple arguments against banning pistol grips to see how many feel it is not a cosmetic feature.

If Liberals choose that their feelings are more important than facts, that doesn't invalidate any facts.
snood

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:50 pm
@Leadfoot,
Two Colorado Democratic state senators (and I guess that translates for you as "several politicians") got voted out on a re-call vote in a state where gun laws were being hotly contested. And this is proof of ...what?

And I'll stop waiting for you to give some evidence that all this controversy about assault rifles and high capacity magazines is a ploy to start the confiscation of all the guns. Because there's no such evidence - it's just a scare tactic to keep anything from being done.
parados

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:58 pm
@oralloy,
It isn't liberals making the arguments that pistol grips make a gun easier to handle. It is those against legislating gun control that have made that argument.

Of course the government has the power to regulate cosmetic features of any product. Since you are arguing it is only cosmetic then it doesn't affect your right to own a gun. You can own all the guns you want without those cosmetic features.
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 05:06 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Because there's no such evidence - it's just a scare tactic to keep anything from being done.

All you have to do is look at the Liberals in jurisdictions where they have no opposition. Every time there is a mass shooting they try to incrementally ban even more guns, even though they've already achieved everything that you are claiming is their ultimate goal.

Also, they used to spew this "not trying to take your guns" nonsense specifically with assault weapons. We saw how that went.

It's actually interesting to watch when Liberals shift gears from "I'm not trying to ban your gun" to "hand over your gun" and then back again.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 05:15 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Of course the government has the power to regulate cosmetic features of any product.

Nonsense. You know better than that. Laws that impact our rights are only allowed if there is a very good reason for those laws. I'm still waiting to hear a good reason for banning pistol grips and flash suppressors.

parados wrote:
Since you are arguing it is only cosmetic then it doesn't affect your right to own a gun.

Violating my rights affects my rights quite a bit.

parados wrote:
You can own all the guns you want without those cosmetic features.

That's like saying there is no First Amendment violation if it became illegal to criticize Republicans, since people would still be free to talk about music videos.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 05:26 pm
Morgan and I lost one friend in Orlando last weekend, Eddie from Sarasota, Eddie Sotomayor. Eddie was a true friend, a true hero and a strong man and we have been saddened beyond words.

To you I tip my hat in appreciation and respect.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/348n3ir.jpg
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 05:33 pm
@EqualityFLSTPete,

sorry for your loss...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 05:35 pm
@EqualityFLSTPete,
Thank you for telling us. I looked up where the club was and was worried, across the state a bit, but still.

Rest in Peace, Eddie Sotomayor.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 05:57 pm
Thank you. We rarely went to Pulse unless we were spending the night in Orlando. One other friend was there that night, Brian. He was with a couple other friends. They were lucky to be on the patio very close to an exit door. He told us at first he thought it was a DJ sound effect or something mixed into a song, then the shots kept going more and more and when people starting dropping on the floor they knew it was real and slid out the door onto the patio and climbed over the fence.

This weekend is our St. Pete Pride and nothing is going to keep us away, it will be the largest in Florida.
George

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:00 pm
@Leadfoot,
Here's what my heart is in:
Logic, intellectual honesty and common sense.

You accuse me of advocating something I clearly have not advocated.
0 Replies