CHICKEN BRUHAHA GETS BIGGER

Setanta

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:08 am
I've heard a story on the news this morning to the effect that conservatives are calling on all conservatives to patronize Chik-fil-A. I've never even seen one, much less eaten their product. One of the commentators thought it was a good move by the conservatives, because he thinks liberals are shooting themselves in the foot with this, trying to quash free speech. What do you think, goys and birls?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 38 • Views: 18,585 • Replies: 284

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:09 am
@Setanta,
On FB last night, I noticed that quite a few of the American conservatives in my game-playing circles were posting about their visits to the chicken joint - and giving each other virtual high fives.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:18 am
@Setanta,
I think that the entire thing is a tempest in a teapot. Although I do not agree with the policies of Chik-Fil-A, I agree with their right to run their business as they wish.

I think that it is obnoxious to turn the entire thing into a political brouhaha.
Setanta

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:18 am
Ever eat there? The guy on the radio was saying it's a good sammich.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:20 am
I ate at one once in Toronto. It was a chicken sandwich. I think Wendy's makes a better one.

Setanta

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:20 am
@Phoenix32890,
I pretty much agree, although i think both sides smell bad in this one. The guy in the radio interview had a pretty even-handed attitutde, i thought. He criticized Chik-fil-A, and he criticized those call for action against them. He criticized conservatives for making it a political football, but pointed out that he thought it was a good strategy for them.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:21 am
@Setanta,
I ate there once. The food, IMO is superior to that at other chicken fast food joints. I also think that the owners are careful about whom they hire.I was impressed with the professionalism of the workers.
dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:21 am
Can someone please explain to me what the chicken brouhaha IS?
DrewDad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:24 am
@dlowan,
Chick-fil-A president's words on gay marriage spark tempest

Quote:
Chick-fil-A has reaped both complaints and praise in the past for contributions to organizations battling same-sex marriage, but those paled in comparison to the social media-fueled uproar that followed Cathy's comments.

Some called for boycotts. Others — including former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee — are urging supporters to buy Chick-fil-A food en masse on Wednesday, with about half a million people saying they will. Same-sex couples are planning kiss-ins at Chick-fil-A restaurants. A Pennsylvania woman in favor of same-sex unions quietly "occupied" a Chick-fil-A outlet in Mechanicsburg with a wipe-board sign and her knitting.

Twitter has been full of pro and con tweets, with Washington Mayor Vincent C. Gray's "I would not support #hatechicken" in the latter group. The mayors of Boston and Chicago said the company wasn't welcome in their cities.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:31 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
In a radio interview in June, Cathy (Chick-Fil-A President) said, "I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.'"

He sounds remarkably like a member of the Taliban.

Joe(It's difficult to tell the difference)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:37 am
@McGentrix,
I'm surprised that they'd set up shop in Canada.

Do you recall where it was? I've tried to locate it, but can't seem to find any in Canada.
Irishk

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:40 am
@Setanta,
I like the boycott idea.

Don't like a company owner's personal viewpoint: Boycott
Do like a company owner's personal viewpoint: Support

Banning them makes me nervous. Too slippery-slopish.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:41 am
@Joe Nation,
I think they should adopt Colonel Angus as their mascot, to better compete with KFC.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 10:11 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Chick-fil-A's anti-gay marriage stance has gotten some high-profile support by way of Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum, Sarah Palin and other conservative lawmakers. But among their longtime customers, it's a much different story.

Polling organization YouGov found that the Atlanta-based chain's brand approval ratings have plummeted in the wake of Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy's controversial remarks earlier this month. YouGov also reports that the company's overall consumer brand health among fast food eaters has dropped to its lowest levels since mid-August 2010 in the wake of the media firestorm.
More
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/707567/thumbs/s-CHICKFILATOP-QSR-large.jpg
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/707624/thumbs/o-QSR-RATING-570.jpg?4

I've heard that the initial support by conservatives on special days like tomorrow may show positive numbers but overall the brand is taking a hit with the public.

engineer

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:08 am
The chain started in Atlanta and is big in the US South, not so much in other areas of the country. The stores are generally much cleaner and well kept than other fast food competitors and their base chicken sandwich (and they don't serve much else) is excellent. I do think liberals are shooting themselves in the foot with the anti-free speech argument but it really doesn't matter. It's not like the conservatives are rushing to Chick Fil-A to support free speech - they generally only support their speech and it's not like liberals will run to Chick-Fil-A's defense on free speech grounds given that Chick-Fil-A's institutionized homophobia is well known. That said, government officials are clearly wrong in saying they will take action against Chick-Fil-A based on the CEO's comments. That is about as first amendment as you get.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:11 am
Interesting JPB, thanks.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:57 am
@ehBeth,
I believe it was at the Eaton Center.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 12:04 pm
@JPB,
I'm not surprised. My wife and I certainly won't be eating there anymore - not that we did a ton to begin with - though I don't support legally banning them from expanding their business.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 12:05 pm
Long before all this got started I and the wife went to one of these places. What I got for my money tasted too salted down and I was still hungry when I left there. One other time I went on my own, about a year ago. I ordered my chicken and figured they would call me when it was ready so I sat down. The order taker brought it to me, miffed that I didn't stand in there where they take the orders. The other workers were ribbing her on the side about it. This time the food was a tad better, but there are lots of better spots to get good chicken.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 12:09 pm
@McGentrix,
Thanks. I'll look for it again - that's an easy lunchtime walk.
0 Replies