CHICKEN BRUHAHA GETS BIGGER

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:59 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
I mean, seriously, if you want people to eat healthier, why push them to eat any fast food at all?

The speed of service has no relationship to the nutritional value of what is served.

Have you looked at Chick-fil-a's menu and nutrition numbers? They have many low cal high protein options.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:13 pm
Last week in Chicago, an alderman stated that Chick-fil-A must present a written anti-discrimination policy before they can build a restaurant in his ward.

Quote:
Ald. Joe Moreno (D-1st) said Wednesday that unless the company comes up with a written anti-discrimination policy, Chick-fil-A will not open its first free-standing restaurant in the city as it plans to do.

“They have nothing on the books that says they do not discriminate and they are open to everyone,” said Moreno, whose ward is on the Northwest Side. “I want to see that policy before they go forward.”
--Associated Press
dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:30 pm
@DrewDad,
Thank you, DD!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:39 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Chick-fil-A Loyola Water Tower Statement
Attribute to: Lauren Silich, Owner/Operator, Chick-fil-A Loyola Water Tower 30 E.
Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL
Since our opening last year, Chick-fil-A Loyola Water Tower has been
dedicated to serving all of our guests with honor, dignity and respect.
In response to the recent controversy regarding an additional location in
Logan Square and comments by Mayor Rahm Emanuel, I would like to invite Mayor
Emanuel into my restaurant to meet me, my husband Steve, and my management
staff.
We are a family of deep Chicago roots - my husband and I both came from
city worker families (teachers, police, laborers) and Steve is a city worker.
We are not a corporation - we are real people and taxpayers as each Chickfil-A franchise is independently owned and operated. We are Chicagoans who are
dedicated to serving our community. We hold fundraisers for hospitals, school,
fallen police and we donate to a wide variety of causes, including everything from
churches to gay and lesbian organizations.
We alone created 97 jobs this past year and our passion is building leaders
for future generations, regardless of sexual orientation or beliefs.
In addition to my personal invitation to Mayor Emanuel, we would like to
extend the invitation to any Chicagoan to visit and experience our Restaurant. We
will continue to serve our guests in the only way we know how – with great food,
exceptional service and a lot of fun.

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/files/chick-fil-astatement.pdf
Reyn

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:17 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I'm surprised that they'd set up shop in Canada.

Do you recall where it was? I've tried to locate it, but can't seem to find any in Canada.

McGentrix wrote:

I believe it was at the Eaton Center.

I didn't think they were in Canada. I was quite confident that they were not in the west when I briefly discussed this on Facebook.

This whole business somewhat smacks of a business stirring the pot to get some publicity, and perhaps hoping to increase their market share in the places where they're located.

It will galvanise those like-minded folks who agree with the owner to eat there, where in the past they would not have done so.

[shrug]
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:10 pm
@jespah,
Ha!

Um....

yes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
I took a look at the menu - pretty stinking high sodium counts. Some of the salads aren't bad on calorie counts, but the wraps and other stuff ... definitely not low cal and a surprising (to me) amount of sugar

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Menu

the breakfast chicken biscuit is insane!

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Menu-Detail/ChickfilA-Chicken-Biscuit#?details=nutrition

440 Calories

20g Fat
2g Fiber
6g Sugars
16g Protein
8g Saturated Fat
0g Trans Fat
25mg Cholesterol
1210mg Sodium
48g Carbohydrates
25% Iron

brutal
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:22 pm
Anti gay christians alone are not enough to support their business, their name has been poisoned by their own brand of religious bigotry. Do I want them to close locations? yes. Do I want every company and every church who preaches or funds taking away the human rights of minorities to close, yes! IMO of coursee
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:52 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
their name has been poisoned by their own brand of religious bigotry.

Show me the data.
engineer

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
The data will say the opposite. CFA is already well known for its homophobic policies. This is nothing new. They are probably one of the most successful fast food chains around here and have been growing steadily for years.
JPB

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
I posted survey data here. It will take some time before financial data supports the claim.
Irishk

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:18 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
They are were probably one of the most successful fast food chains around here and have been growing steadily for years.
FIFY
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:20 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I posted survey data here. It will take some time before financial data supports the claim.

Which only show that according to them the perception of the brand moved from fantastic to slightly below industry average....not at all documenting the claim that the brand name is trash. Notably I can not find any data to confirm this.
JPB

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
Only time and sales figures will tell. In the meantime those who feel that now is the time to make a statement are doing so.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:30 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
Only time and sales figures will tell. In the meantime those who feel that now is the time to make a statement are doing so.

Both for and against....Gay rights advocates should have their heads examined though if they push for a fight against religious freedom advocates and democracy advocates and free speech advocates .....there is no way in hell they come out of that brawl still possessing their skin.

Notably none of the major gay rights organizations to date have been foolish enough to get into that ring, none have called for a boycott of this company.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:30 pm
@jcboy,
I just listened to a radio feature on this. They have quite a history of being sued for their employment practices.

there is a link to listen to the feature here

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2012/07/31/should-the-chick-fil-a-chain-be-banned-for-the-companys-anti-gay-marriage-views/

a more direct link (less context)

http://www.thenation.com/blog/169174/lee-fang-its-not-about-ceo-its-chick-fil-supports-discrimination#

Lee Fang is the fellow to listen to in the piece.
engineer

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:32 pm
@ehBeth,
And yet refuse to change.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:41 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

And yet refuse to change.

Why change...this company has been high flying for a long time. Re a previous comment from you
Quote:
When asked if he would prefer the company was in the news for other things -- the upcoming Daddy-Daughter Date Night, for example -- Cathy said he welcomed the discussion of marriage.

"It's been a really great thing for us," he said of the recent controversy. "We intend to stay the course. It's served us well. We don't mind being in the news for this.

http://www.ajc.com/business/chick-fil-a-counters-821566.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:42 pm
@engineer,
http://www.thenation.com/blog/169147/liberal-defenders-chick-fil-unwittingly-defend-corporate-personhood

Lee Fang writes ....

Quote:
Here’s the real issue. Chick-Fil-A CEO Dan Cathy’s family manages a charity called the WinShape Foundation, which dispenses millions of dollars to anti-gay organizations, including Focus on the Family. Where does that money come from? According to tax disclosures, the WinShape Foundation received $8,067,161 from Chick-Fil-A corporation and $11.5 million from CFA Properties, a corporate affiliate of Chick-Fil-A registered in Delaware in 2010.

http://www.thenation.com/sites/default/files/user/226709/Google%20ChromeScreenSnapz333.png
http://www.thenation.com/sites/default/files/user/226709/Google%20ChromeScreenSnapz332.png

Quote:
What I should have pointed out in my first post is the relevant information that Chick-Fil-A reportedly “requires potential franchise operators to disclose their marital status, number of dependents, and involvement in social, church, and other organizations” and employees may be fired for “sinful” behavior. The company, which has been sued twelve times since 1988 for discrimination, is currently facing yet another lawsuit for alleged gender discrimination. Glenn Greenwald originally acknowledged that if Chick-Fil-A engages in discriminatory employment practices, then it would be perfectly legitimate to “take action against them.”

But my original point was that these Chick-Fil-A defenders missed the forest for the trees—the problem that LGBT activists have decried for years is that Chick-Fil-A uses its corporate profits to fund anti-gay media and lobbying campaigns, a fact well-documented by groups like Equality Matters. The CEO’s comments simply shed light on an issue that had been ignored by the mainstream press.

So first off, I’m glad Greenwald, who posted a response later in the afternoon, is now engaging in the substantive debate about how the company uses its general treasury to lobby, rather than the relative sideshow about what Chick-Fil-A CEO Dan Cathy believes.

2007 Forbes piece on The Cult of Chick-fil-A

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0723/080.html
JPB

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Which may say more about the grass roots level of this response than the corporate level. Organizations will oftentimes follow suit if the folks in the trenches dig the ditches.