Stripper as a wife.

nimh

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 06:44 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
I just found "the mental state of most strippers is less than stable" to be a pretty damning statement.

Ok woulds it make you feel better if I'd said "the mental state of most strippers I've known or met is less than stable"?

YES! Very Happy Smile

Either you get it, or you have accidentally stumbled upon the point.

It may seem like you're saying the same thing to you, but trust me, it's a helluva important distinction. It's the difference between an honest statement and a sweeping generalisation.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 06:50 pm
Oh God there's ten pages between the two posts I just responded to. Fuhgeddaboutit.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 07:05 pm
ok ok ok ONE last thing, honest to God.. (and no its not in re to Chai or Bella, dont worry:)

kickycan wrote:
The problem with that is you seem to think they make this choice much the same way someone decides to become a welder or a burger flipper. [..]

How many girls in good high schools do you think want to be strippers when they get out of school? If you are being honest, I submit that the answer can only be "very few, if any at all." Why do you think that is?

The girl I knew specifically chose to try stripping because she found it less degrading than the job flipping burgers at McDonalds she'd ended up with.

Being on stage and being desired, for whatever base or lurid reasons, vs just being treated like **** non-stop by people who dont give a F about you but whom you still have to smile and say "Have a nice day" to ... seemed like a rational choice to her.

And yes, of course, soon as she could get anything better than either of that, she did. But in that situation, choosing the stripper option didnt mean she was a f-d up brainless crack ho, or however Slappy puts it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 09:02 pm
The crack whore was a stripper I knew.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 09:56 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
most people hates work, some people like work.

stripping is work too. they get paid to do something they shouldnt "like" doing, taking off their clothes in front of strangers.Most strippers are extremely intelligent, good conversationalists, and most importantly, THEY LIKE EASY MONEY LIKE THE REST OF US!

If a husband of a stripper suddenly wants her to change careers, hes a dumbass.

The only problems i see with marrying a stripper are self-imposed moral beliefs that being naked in front of strangers is "bad".

Strippers are some of the most confident woman i know, they know how to get what they want, and they know what they want. Id feel more likely to be cheated on by an ugly female than a stripper. So if marriage was a goal in my life id be perfectly happy if the one i wanted was working as a stripper.

What??? Most strippers I know are alcoholics and/or drug addicts, and many engage in the more lurid aspects of the sex trade. Most have low self-esteem. In what way, do you know strippers? BTW would you want to marry a lesbian?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:12 am
Welcome to the discussion, Roxanne.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:40 am
JPB wrote:
Stray Cat wrote:
Stripping involves an act of intimacy that would normally be reserved for a man and woman who share an actual relationship. A man that loves, cares about, respects and wants to protect the woman, and a woman who loves, cares about and trusts the man.

I keep reading this thought trying to pin down what it is about it that troubles me. Maybe it's the definition of what is 'normal'.

Or maybe it's the definition of intimacy? Stripping for your lover may be an act of intimacy, but stripping in a club is not. It's as public and impersonal as it gets.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 04:16 am
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 05:01 am
So, would you marry a stripper or not?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 06:00 am
Probably not, Thomas. But then, I can't imagine a stripper wanting to marry me either, so we're even.

jespah wrote:
Page 15: "Above all, women in stripping reject the popular image of stripping and clarify the common misperceptions about stripclubs. "That no one touches you, women enjoy it, and it's okay for men to go there."

Women in stripping feel it's a mis-perception that it's okay for men to go there? Well, if this is true of most strippers, then I'm with Slappy on the mental capacities of most strippers.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 07:01 am
nimh wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
I just found "the mental state of most strippers is less than stable" to be a pretty damning statement.

Ok woulds it make you feel better if I'd said "the mental state of most strippers I've known or met is less than stable"?

YES! Very Happy Smile

Either you get it, or you have accidentally stumbled upon the point.

It may seem like you're saying the same thing to you, but trust me, it's a helluva important distinction. It's the difference between an honest statement and a sweeping generalisation.

Oh my god, I don't even want to start because I've said at least 5 times that my "statistics" and my opinion have been based on my OWN EXPERIENCES.

But you seem to conveniently miss that every time and it doesn't seem to matter that you can base your perception of a stripper on the girls you've know, but I can't base mine on the ones I have known/seen. You've never even been to a strip club and yet you seem to know an awful lot about what goes on there (or think you do)

This whole thread has gotten so stupid because no matter what I say, you miss the whole point and jump right on me for saying what is the truth in my reality. And that is that most strippers (I hate that I have to add this f*cking disclaimer...from the base I have to work with, my own personal research project, my own personal experiences) are f*cked in the head in some way.

Go ahead, attack that statement and tell me I am making a generalization but the minute amything different comes out of your mouth you can just remember that your statment is based on the same thing mine is; your personal experience.

Peace out.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 07:05 am
I can say based on personal experience that Mohamed Ali was very quick.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 07:22 am
KMart sucks..definitely
KMart sucks..definitely
KMart sucks..definitely

It's going to rain today, ... definitely definitely going to rain
It's going to rain today, ... definitely definitely going to rainKMart sucks..definitely
KMart sucks..definitely
KMart sucks..definitely

It's going to rain today, ... definitely definitely going to rainKMart sucks..definitely
KMart sucks..definitely
KMart sucks..definitely

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 07:55 am
jespah wrote:
There have been scads of pages -- man, is this topic a well-traveled train wreck or what -- since I last looked in. Here are some more tidbits from what I posted (thanks DrewDad for some citing). The more I read about this, the more I see these women as Tom Joad in a g-string. Not a fount of desire or envy (that's laughable anyway), but as a fount of pity, as a person exploited and used by pretty much everyone.

http://www.albany.edu/scj/jcjpc/vol10is1/bernard.pdf

That's all well and good, jespah, but your evidence is irrelevant in this discussion. We're all relying on our gut instincts here -- evidence means nothing to us.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 08:50 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Oh my god, I don't even want to start because I've said at least 5 times that my "statistics" and my opinion have been based on my OWN EXPERIENCES.

But you seem to conveniently miss that every time and it doesn't seem to matter that you can base your perception of a stripper on the girls you've know, but I can't base mine on the ones I have known/seen. [..]

Go ahead, attack that statement and tell me I am making a generalization but the minute amything different comes out of your mouth you can just remember that your statment is based on the same thing mine is; your personal experience.

OK, so I was wrong and you didnt get the point, after all.

The difference between the perceptions I relayed and the perceptions you asserted is THAT I NEVER MADE ANY CLAIM ABOUT WHAT "MOST" STRIPPERS ARE LIKE.

You did.

How is that difference so hard to understand?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:09 am
nimh wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

But you seem to conveniently miss that every time and it doesn't seem to matter that you can base your perception of a stripper on the girls you've know, but I can't base mine on the ones I have known/seen. [..]

The difference between the perceptions I relayed and the perceptions you asserted is THAT I NEVER MADE ANY CLAIM ABOUT WHAT "MOST" STRIPPERS ARE LIKE.

You did.

Love how you frickin' ignored what I said AGAIN.

I am not going to repeat myself for the umpteenth time. If you can't see with your own eyes what I've said, forget it. You're a lost cause.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:10 am
Bella Dea wrote:
You're a lost cause.

...in your opinion.... Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:11 am
Disclaimer

Here. I'll make this real easy for you.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:12 am
DrewDad wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
You're a lost cause.

...in your opinion.... Laughing

Of course.

Didn't you read my disclaimer?

:wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:59 am
Bella Dea wrote:
nimh wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

You did.

Love how you frickin' ignored what I said AGAIN.

I am not going to repeat myself for the umpteenth time. If you can't see with your own eyes what I've said, forget it. You're a lost cause.

If I may take a shot at this...

nimh is not objecting to the fact that you hold that opinion. It really has nothing to do with whether it's just your opinion or not. He is just saying that without any evidence but your own personal experiences with a miniscule percentage of strippers, you saying "most strippers are f*cked in the head" is meaningless. That's all he's saying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the other hand. Nimh, aren't there some things that you CAN make generalizations about? Sometimes things are just so commonly understood that it doesn't take personal experience to "know" them.

For instance, I believe that in general, gangmembers are violent drug-dealing thugs. Now, I've never been in a gang, I've never even known a gang member, but I've read about them, I've seen documentaries about gangs, and I've heard about them through talking to people. The general consensus is that yes, they really are violent drug-dealing thugs. Are they all? Of course not. But in general, I'd feel pretty comfortable in saying that MOST gang members are violent drug-dealing thugs.

Does that make any sense? Is it ever okay to make a generalization, and if so, when?
0 Replies