Being against illegal immigration doesn't make you a racist.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 03:42 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I am not a member of La Raza. I am very involved in the immigrant rights movement. I spend quite a bit of time with members of La Raza (who help organize and advocate).

I have from the beginning of this thread distinguished between people who are against illegal immigration because it breaks the law-- and people who express or spread racist ideas.

I will repeat the title of this thread "Being against illegal immigration does not make you a racist".

Stereotypes that question the loyalty of American citizens based on their ethnicity is an example of racism.

There are Latinos (particularly students) who express extreme ideas-- especially those who are angry about what is happening. Those that are US citizens have every right to do this, and there are extremists of every ethnic group.

The group MeCha is a student group, and an example of people who often go over the line to extremism. La Raza has publically disavowed this type of extremism.

La Raza is a very active civil rights organization that has a very long record. This record includes prominant American thinkers, and testimony in front of Congress.

If you want to slander the Hispanic community, slandering La Raza is a good place to start. But these are just lies.

I repeat my challenge (since truth is a defense against a charge of slander)... There is a very big record. Give me one instance, in all of the Record of La Raza where they support the extremism you are accusing them of.

Here's the money quote -

Quote:

The group MeCha is a student group, and an example of people who often go over the line to extremism. La Raza has publically disavowed this type of extremism.

I believe you (you are obviously more informed than I on this subject) but it isn't readily apparent. I can easily recall the same student organizations being sponsored by both groups, so they haven't always been disavowed, it seems; it's easy to see how things could have changed over time.

I will admit that the two groups are mixed together in my mind, but that's because this has been my personal experience. We all understand that there are folks in Europe who hate America b/c they met a few Americans who are jerks. There's not much we can do about this - it's wrong to categorize a group based upon just a few members - but it hurts the cause greatly.

I'm not trying to slander anyone - just reporting my experiences so that you can understand why everyone may not feel the same way as you do. It is analogous to the fact that I personally will never feel the way about illegal immigration as you do, because my mother was injured in a car wreck with an illegal immigrant, and her life is pretty screwed because of it. The other guy? They don't know where he is, b/c they had to let him out of jail. Nice, hmm? Such things do not dispose one to be happy with a group.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 03:56 pm
I am sorry to hear about what happened to your mother.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 03:57 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I am sorry to hear about what happened to your mother.

But, you won't/can't make the connection between her individual problem and a larger problem for society.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 04:15 pm
Cyclo,

I am sorry, but no I can't make this connection, nor will I.

You are making a connection between one bastard and all illegal immigrants.

It is an understandable part of human nature to make such a connection, but it isn't rational. There are many people who suffer hit and runs by American citizens, I doubt the fact it was an American citizen who hit their loved one makes them feel any better... and people harbor anger toward many other groups because of similar stories.

Do you really want to bring a personal family tragedy into this discussion?
If it were my mother, I would prefer to keep her out of this debate. And, I was trying to offer my sincere sympathy. By using a personal tragedy to make a generalization about illegal immigrants you put me into a situation that I would rather not be in.

I assure you that most illegal immigrants have not been the cause of hit and run accidents.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 04:19 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Cyclo,

I am sorry, but no I can't make this connection, nor will I.

You are making a connection between one bastard and all illegal immigrants.

It is an understandable part of human nature to make such a connection, but it isn't rational. There are many people who suffer hit and runs by American citizens, I doubt the fact it was an American citizen who hit their loved one makes them feel any better... and people harbor anger toward many other groups because of similar stories.

Do you really want to bring a personal family tragedy into this discussion?
If it were my mother, I would prefer to keep her out of this debate. And, I was trying to offer my sincere sympathy. By using a personal tragedy to make a generalization about illegal immigrants you put me into a situation that I would rather not be in.

I assure you that most illegal immigrants have not been the cause of hit and run accidents.

Haha, you misunderstand completely.

The problem isn't that illegal immigrants are jerks; they are just like everyone else, some good, some bad.

It's that our system has no place for them; no solution for what they do. They do not face recourse the way regular citizens do.

The problem isn't with the illegal immigrants being a bad group of people, it's that those illegal immigrants who ARE a bad group, cannot be dealt with in our society in a satisfactory fashion. Either people like you are pissed because families are broken up, or people like I are pissed because illegal immigrants can commit crimes all day long and nothing happens to them at all.

That's why I have long favored a path to citizenship for all who are currently here - and closing the border. Permanently. I don't mind if we greatly expand our system for legal immigration, but we cannot allow a group to run around undocumented and cause problems which cannot be dealt with.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 04:24 pm
You start with one event, and extrapolate to multitudes.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 04:26 pm
The use of a tragedy involving one's mother as bait makes me uncomfortable.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 04:29 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

This does not remove the validity of my argument. My mother - let's just say 'abstract citizen' - is merely representative of the problem. It isn't personal.

The problem is that illegal immigrants cause a unique problem for our system of justice and taxation, one that has no solution other than to eliminate the illegal immigrant to the greatest degree possible.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 04:36 pm
Fine, I am not disagreeing with you.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 04:40 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Fine, I am not disagreeing with you.

Not overtly; but you see us doing away with the concept of 'illegal immigrants.' I see us doing away with them by legalizing those who are here, and closing the border. In a very real fashion.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 08:10 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

I also know of a person killed by an illegal that ran a red light, no insurance, no nothing. He went back to Mexico.

Also, I would venture to guess there have been dozens, if not hundreds of illegals and other innocents killed by smugglers driving vans with bald tires, many others have died in trucks, overcome by heat exhaustion. I have heard multiple times of wrecks, sometimes one car, sometimes more, where a van loaded with 6 to 15 immigrants, many killed, the vehicles traveling 80 or faster.

Come out to the Southwest and you will hear of it happening all the time.

Where is YOUR compassion, ebrown?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 08:15 pm
He likes the ones that can vote.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 11:58 pm
okie wrote:
I also know of a person killed by an illegal that ran a red light, no insurance, no nothing. He went back to Mexico.

Also, I would venture to guess there have been dozens, if not hundreds of illegals and other innocents killed by smugglers driving vans with bald tires, many others have died in trucks, overcome by heat exhaustion. I have heard multiple times of wrecks, sometimes one car, sometimes more, where a van loaded with 6 to 15 immigrants, many killed, the vehicles traveling 80 or faster.

Well, if such is to used as an argument ...

25% of all criminal investigations in my county (situated more or less quite in the middle of Germany) are against non-Germans, about 40% of the most dangerous accidents on the autobahns happen related to foreigners ...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 06:05 am
Gee I wonder why?

I seriously doubt, however, that those serious Autobahn crashes are due to illegal Mexican immigrants driving along at 60KPH in old Chevy trucks covered in yard work tools.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:13 am
No, they aren't. I must have missed that you referred to illegal Mexican immigrants driving along at 60KPH in old Chevy trucks covered in yard work tools.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:18 am
okie wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

My father in-law was hit by a driver who ran and was later caught. He was an illegal and ran because he had been drinking and as usual didn't have a license or any insurance. Good thing my father in-law is retired Navy because he had medical insurance to cover his minor injuries. The guy who hit him was released on bond and never came back for his trial. Who knows where he is now, but I know he is laughing at the law and the fact that he won't be caught and do jail time for committing yet more crimes besides being here illegally.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:27 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
okie wrote:

Well, if such is to used as an argument ...

25% of all criminal investigations in my county (situated more or less quite in the middle of Germany) are against non-Germans, about 40% of the most dangerous accidents on the autobahns happen related to foreigners ...

Do most of them at least have insurance, Walter? And if I understand correctly, traveling between countries in Europe is more akin to traveling between states here. It is totally expectable, legal, and probably typically with insurance.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:30 am
Baldimo wrote:

My father in-law was hit by a driver who ran and was later caught. He was an illegal and ran because he had been drinking and as usual didn't have a license or any insurance. Good thing my father in-law is retired Navy because he had medical insurance to cover his minor injuries. The guy who hit him was released on bond and never came back for his trial. Who knows where he is now, but I know he is laughing at the law and the fact that he won't be caught and do jail time for committing yet more crimes besides being here illegally.

Perhaps ebrown is not aware of it, but illegals without licenses, without medical insurance, without whatever else, drive up the costs for law abiding citizens their auto insurance, medical insurance, taxes, etc. etc. Where is ebrown's "compassion" for law abiding citizens?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:34 am
okie wrote:
Do most of them at least have insurance, Walter? And if I understand correctly, traveling between countries in Europe is more akin to traveling between states here. It is totally expectable, legal, and probably typically with insurance.

Travelling between Schengen-countries is like travelling from one town to the other, not travelling from non-Schengen-countries to those.

And 'yes', driving here needs to have a car insurance. (Which is controoled at the border when entering a Schengen-country.)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:38 am
Okie,

I absolutely agree with you on this.

This is one example of how the current immigration system that forces immigrants into the shadows is unworkable.

By providing a path to citizenship, these illegal immigrants (many of whom already pay taxes but I will go along with your point) can become tax-paying legal immigrants with legal drivers licenses and insurance through their legal employment.

This thread is about the which arguments in the immigration debate have racist themes.

This is a great point, but it is probably more appropriate for this theme to move over to my other current thread... "The Cost of an Enforcement First immigration policy".
0 Replies