Being against illegal immigration doesn't make you a racist.

au1929

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 03:33 pm
Brown
If it was your intent to discuss racism why did you frame it in the context of illegal immigration. The two are basically unrelated.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 03:38 pm
This thread is about racist ideas that keep being inserted into the immigration debate. I gave specific examples in the opening thread.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:37 pm
About a year ago I had received, and responded to, an email about immigration from a staunch right-wing aquaintance of mine who likes to send political screeds down the internet grapevine, as it were.

This email illustrates perfectly the issue that ebrown is raising:

Quote:
This is from a Hispanic who lives in Texas. He's had a column in the Fort Worth Star Telegram and as you can see, expresses himself very well.

ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL

I can almost assure you that everyone who is a true American was sickened when you saw multitudes of protesters carrying Mexican flags protesting the new Immigration Reform Bill in the Senate. This display of Mexican flags should give you a heads up on where these protesters allegiance lies. Their hearts are in Mexico and their bellies are in the United States.

As an American of Mexican Heritage I want to set the record straight. American Hispanics are not all thrilled with illegal immigration. I, for more than 20 years, tried desperately to bring this national debacle to the attention of the American people. I had the privilege of writing for several newspapers, appeared on national and local TV and radio programs, and was asked by many political groups to address this serious problem affecting my former community (north Fort Worth), city, state, and our country. Many will question how I can speak on this subject with some authority. My simple answer is: I lived with the problem! Trust me, it was no picnic. Never in my life (I'm 68) had I witnessed the lawlessness, the deterioration of my community, and the black market criminal underground activities attributed to the influx of illegal immigrants.

To add injury to insult, politicians soon caved in to the many demands of illegal immigrants. Notably: bilingual education, bilingual ballots, welfare aid, free medical care, etc. Through all this national disgrace allowed by our politicians, have you all noticed that no one ever blames the useless, corrupt, and disgraceful government of Mexico? In contrast, they lambaste and criticize our country. How does that grab you?

When I addressed the dangers of our porous border between Mexico and the United States, and the lax security of our nation, no one paid attention. As I observed the situation, the problem was perceived to be between American Hispanic communities and illegal immigrants. White Americans, it seemed, assumed that the problem was not theirs to deal with. In other words they were asleep at the wheel. However, 9-11 soon woke them up. Lets be honest with each other here, white Americans vote in far larger numbers than Hispanics do. And most politicians (Democrats and Republicans) in our city, state, and federal governments are white. Thus, who is more suited to fix this national disaster? I'm sure most of you know what the answer is.

In summation, I'm pleading with white American voters to join me in sending our politicians (Democrats and Republicans) a strong message that we will not tolerate illegal immigrants telling us how to make government policy that will make it easier for them to break our laws. Hope you will join me in this endeavor in our upcoming elections.

James H. Reza
4204 Grand Lake Lake Worth, Texas 76135

Please pass this on...it just might get to the other Veterans and VFW, American Legions and to those that truly believe that we will not give our country away !

In response, I wrote:
Reza may be Hispanic, but he's still a bigot, and among other things, he has selective sight. Yes, there were multitudes of protesters carrying Mexican flags protesting the Immigration Reform Bill proposed by the House of Representatives. But what Reza doesn't mention is that a much larger multitude was carrying US flags.

http://home.elp.rr.com/infrablues/protesters%20(0).jpg
http://home.elp.rr.com/infrablues/protesters%20(1).jpg

Reza decries the Hispanic culture in the US. What he fails to mention is that Hispanic culture was in regions of the US before those regions were ever part of the US. The only way to eradiate that culture is to perpetrate ethnic cleansing of these cultures. Is that what bigots like Reza propose? Does he propose to limit or curtail this culture? This bigot also puts his argument in terms of race, pleading with "white American voters" to send messages to our representatives about this issue. By doing so, he reveals himself to be a racist, also.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:53 pm
au1929 wrote:
Brown
If it was your intent to discuss racism why did you frame it in the context of illegal immigration. The two are basically unrelated.

I don't think you've been talking to the same illegal immigration zealots that I've spoken with in the past.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:57 pm
I'm conflicted. Surely I appreciate long established places in various countries around the world. I also see the long term, oh, say, thousand year benefits of invasions over millennia.

My personal views are for border erasure, but I can argue with myself as easily as the next person on that, so, er, don't bother, I get your point already.

There seems to me to be a cognitive dissonance here in the southwest US, as land changed, from not being owned to owned by this or that governmental structure over not many years. Being righteous about present governmental aegis flies in the face of fairly recent history.... dictation of laws of the administrators... all that being more complex as one side of a new boundary got richer than the other.

Wonder what we'd say, in the US, if Mexico was the wealthier country.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:06 pm
Excuse me, forgot to address racism. Well, that just naturally shows up with xenophobia, which shows up with cultural us or them stuff. Happens on both sides of issues, blanketting both sides as well. It - at the least - tends to cloud genuine discussable issues.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 11:25 pm
I have considered that, osso. If the good jobs were in Mexico, and I were unemployeed with family in the US, I would surely (I hope) sneak across the border to feed the family. I would also expect to be sent back, possibly after being fined or incarcerated. I'm against illegal immigration; that doesn't mean I fail to understand and/or sympathize.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 01:44 am
Re: Being against illegal immigration doesn't make you a rac
ebrown_p wrote:
Just for the record, I want to make this very clear.

So what does make you a racist?

Being in favor of good border security and a sound legal immigration policy does not make anybody racist. That is simple enough to resolve. Do you have other questions about this? What is your obsession with racism and illegal immigration all about anyway?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 06:43 am
MI: Proposition 3. Should Michigan have or not have a dove hunt?

(Brought to you by the Humane Society of the United States. A red herring, just like this thread).
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 07:50 am
All things considered IMO this thread is much to say about nothing. Sort of like a Seinfeld skit.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:14 am
Without going into ebrown's question, I'll pick up on this by Fishin':

fishin wrote:
I do find it interesting however that in your initial post you mentioned "For example, the attacks on Americans who support their rights through La Raza. " and yet, by LaRaza's own admission, they ARE a racist organization. Their own WWW site says "The National Council of La Raza (NCLR) - the largest national Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States - works to improve opportunities for Hispanic Americans."

Why do they only advocate to improve opportunities for Hispanic Americans? Why don't you label them as racists? "Hispanic" is certainly a much more racist term than "illegal immigrant" is. Is fighting racism with racism acceptable?

Are you being facetious? Is your argument that if an organisation "works to improve opportunities for Hispanic Americans," it is ipso facto racist?

Doesnt being racist by definition imply that one believes one's own race is superior to others? An organisation focusing its work on improving opportunities for Hispanic Americans no more necessarily implies it believes Hispanic Americans are superior than that an organisations working to defend the interests of pensioners proves it believes older people are superior. Or than an organisation aiming to improve farmers' quality of life believes agricultural workers are superior.

There are NGOs focusing on improving the lot of groups based on age, profession, ethnicity, income, whether one lives in a city or village, what state or region one lives in, whether one is a veteran, etc. No group superiority implied.

Hispanic Americans (or Latinos or whatever the right word now is) have things in common, just like African Americans have things in common but also like pensioners or poor people or women or midwesterners have things in common. Things that politicians get to make important decisions about, too. So they can organise accordingly to defend their group interests - in NOW or AARP or NAACP. A poor, retired, Hispanic midwestern woman may join all respective organisations, who each work to improve the opportunities for those respective groups. It could be that you dont like interest groups, but "working to improve opportunities for [Group X]" doesnt in itself in any way imply a racist belief in Group X's superiority.

Hell, there might be an organisation here in Budapest helping Dutch immigrants to better find their way about, more easily find the opportunities to find a job or an apartment or whatnot - I know the Dutch embassy is quite active. Would such an organisation be racist too? (The Dutch are of the Germanic race after all, the Hungarians not..)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 06:56 pm
nimh wrote:
Without going into ebrown's question, I'll pick up on this by Fishin':

fishin wrote:
I do find it interesting however that in your initial post you mentioned "For example, the attacks on Americans who support their rights through La Raza. " and yet, by LaRaza's own admission, they ARE a racist organization. Their own WWW site says "The National Council of La Raza (NCLR) - the largest national Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States - works to improve opportunities for Hispanic Americans."

Why do they only advocate to improve opportunities for Hispanic Americans? Why don't you label them as racists? "Hispanic" is certainly a much more racist term than "illegal immigrant" is. Is fighting racism with racism acceptable?

Are you being facetious? Is your argument that if an organisation "works to improve opportunities for Hispanic Americans," it is ipso facto racist?

Doesnt being racist by definition imply that one believes one's own race is superior to others?

Not necessarily.

racĀ·ism
-noun
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

You chose only one of the possible definitions for racism. People can (and do) discriminate based on race (the 2nd definition) without necessarily falling into the trap of the 1st definition.

Quote:
An organisation focusing its work on improving opportunities for Hispanic Americans no more necessarily implies it believes Hispanic Americans are superior than that an organisations working to defend the interests of pensioners proves it believes older people are superior. Or than an organisation aiming to improve farmers' quality of life believes agricultural workers are superior.

Again, superiority isn't a required element. But an organization focusing on improving conditions only for Hispanic Americans is certainly discriminating based on race. A group that focuses it's interests basede on age would be ageist - not racist, etc. It isn't a factor of superiority. It is a factor of discrimination. A person can discriminate (either for or against) without having a feeling of superiority.

Quote:
There are NGOs focusing on improving the lot of groups based on age, profession, ethnicity, income, whether one lives in a city or village, what state or region one lives in, whether one is a veteran, etc. No group superiority implied.

Hispanic Americans (or Latinos or whatever the right word now is) have things in common, just like African Americans have things in common but also like pensioners or poor people or women or midwesterners have things in common. Things that politicians get to make important decisions about, too. So they can organise accordingly to defend their group interests - in NOW or AARP or NAACP. A poor, retired, Hispanic midwestern woman may join all respective organisations, who each work to improve the opportunities for those respective groups. It could be that you dont like interest groups, but "working to improve opportunities for [Group X]" doesnt in itself in any way imply a racist belief in Group X's superiority.

Unless that group is working to improve conditions for whites. Then, of course, it is by default, racist.

Quote:
Hell, there might be an organisation here in Budapest helping Dutch immigrants to better find their way about, more easily find the opportunities to find a job or an apartment or whatnot - I know the Dutch embassy is quite active. Would such an organisation be racist too? (The Dutch are of the Germanic race after all, the Hungarians not..)

To my knowledge there is no recognized racial classification for "Dutch". presumably, if an organization was setup to help Dutch immigrants it would do so based on the individual's citzenship as opposed to their race. As examples - every Mexican-American organization I know of requires only that any prospective member have a tie to Mexico and the U.S.. They could be of Jewish or African descent but if they have parents, grandparents, etc.. that were Mexican citizens and they now live in the U.S. they'd be afforded membership. They aren't required to be Hispanic. The same applies to Italian-American, Franco-American, Sino-American, etc.. organizations. The distinction is based on a geographic location or nationality - not a racial classification.

A group that bases it's membership on racial classifications - be it Hispanc, African, Caucassian, Asian, etc.. is, by definition, racist.

Neither NOW nor AARP base their membership criteria or their groups interests on race. NOW is (at least in some regards) a sexist organization but supports all women regardless of race. AARP is (almost entirely) an ageist organization but supports all those over 55 regardless of race. The NAACP, unlike La Raza, is all inclusive. They list their mission statement as "The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination. " All persons? I don't see any racial limitation there. (There may have been at one time, I don't know, but it isn't in their current statement.)

Not all classifications are taboo. Some are (i.e. race, religion, etc..) while others aren't (profession, income, etc...). Others are boderline where some people take offense and others don't (Ageism, physical ability, etc...) and the level of offense implied/recognized is a matter of public debate.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 07:24 pm
LaRaza is not a racist organization. Some whiteys will attempt to label it such, but they'll have to really do a stretch of their imaginations to prove it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 07:27 pm
Fishin,

There is a big difference between truly racist organizations, like the KKK and White power groups, and civil rights groups like La Raza, NAACP, or the Jewish community center.

What makes truly racist groups so hateful is that the way they attack, defame and mistreat other groups. The KKK has always talked about African Americans and Jews were invading white neighborhoods, and their answer is intimidation and hate mongering of these ethnic groups.

I am strongly opposed to the KKK because its hateful attitudes toward other people. I have no problem with the American Hellenic council (and neither do you).

It would be nice if you could at least admit that racism, and hate groups based on racism, exist and are a bad thing in our multicultural society.

Trying to compare a civil rights group to a hate group, simply because they represent an ethnic group you don't care for is ridiculous beyond belief.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 07:28 pm
From the NCLR website:

The Truth About NCLR: NCLR Answers Critics

Open Letter to the Public:
Those familiar with the work of the National Council of La Raza (NCLR) know that we are the largest Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the U.S., that we proudly represent nearly 300 Affiliates - community-based organizations providing a range of essential services to millions of Latinos and others in need - and that we are an American institution committed to strengthening this nation by promoting the advancement of Latino families.

We are also among the most recognized organizations in the nonprofit sector. Our work in the health arena has been honored by the Surgeon General of the United States and by numerous professional organizations. Both our former President/CEO and the current Chair of our Board of Directors have earned the prestigious Hubert H. Humphrey Civil Rights Award by the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, and The Nonprofit Times has recognized NCLR's leadership with its coveted "Power and Influence Top 50" award, honoring the top 50 leaders shaping the nonprofit world.

We recognize that some people might be confused about our organization's name, our mission, and our work. Much of this is understandable. Compared to some of our venerable counterparts in the civil rights and advocacy community, we are a relatively young institution, representing Latinos, an historically disadvantaged and oft-misunderstood ethnic minority. We have a Spanish term in our name, "La Raza," (see question 2) (meaning "the people" or "community") which is easily mistranslated. Furthermore, we are engaged in some of the most controversial issues of our time, which we believe is essential if we are to stay true to our mission.

As an advocacy organization engaged in the public arena, we know that some will disagree with our views. As Americans committed to basic civil rights and civil liberties, we respect anyone's right to do so.

But we are also convinced that some critics are willfully distorting the facts and deliberately mischaracterizing our organization and our work. Recently, we have been the subject of a number of ad hominem attacks that we believe cross the line of civility in public discourse.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 01:14 am
Cicerone
Whiteys?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 06:09 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
LaRaza is not a racist organization. Some whiteys will attempt to label it such, but they'll have to really do a stretch of their imaginations to prove it.

That one needs to be immortalized. Laughing Hey little man, who you callin' "whitey"?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:02 am
cjhsa, at the risk of angering cicerone, which I've done before, but the stark truth needs to be said. Often, those organizations that claim to be sticking up for their racial rights are racists themselves. Organizations like the NAACP, congressional black caucus, LaRaza, etc. have taken their agenda way too far the other way, and their policies are in fact based on old resentments and racial hatreds. All they are doing is perpetuating what little resentments remain toward that group or race by trying to ram their special agendas down the throat of society. The best thing they could do is simply "let go" of the feelings harbored from decades past and worry about themselves as individuals, and they would find things much improved.

To be accurate, NAACP and congressional black caucus are examples of political organizations rather than racial equality, and are more or less socialist, as they will label any conservative black as an Uncle Tom or not black enough. Race is used to further the agenda, but the agenda is political. So often it isn't even about race, it is instead about politics and socialism. I believe LaRaza may fit into that category as well. They use race as a wedge, and to gain sympathy and supposed respectability, but their goals are much, much more than racial equality.

Take New Mexico as an example, hispanics virtually run the state, and do a pretty good job of it. Non hispanics and hispanic live in fairly harmonious conditions, side by side, and hardly think of each other as being different. At least that was the way I felt it was and the way others thought of it when I lived there. Organizations like LaRaza are considered very extreme and do nothing but stir up trouble and resentment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:36 am
What sensitive souls on a2k. "Whiteys" know who they are; they're the ones who sees discrimination where there aren't any just because they happen to be an orginization established to help minorities and provide social support systems otherwise not available.

FACT: Any nonprofit organization that is organized as a 403(b) cannot discriminate. That's the law.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 10:24 am
My local Better Business Bureau must be racist in favor of Austinites....
0 Replies