Being against illegal immigration doesn't make you a racist.

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 05:22 pm
Just for the record, I want to make this very clear.

So what does make you a racist?

- Conspiracy theories of race war-- for example comparing families who come to work to invaders. This includes claims that Hispanics are preparing to bring down the country or to steal a part of it.

- Promoting racial stereotypes and with made up facts-- for example exagerrated claims about the number of inmates who are immigrants.

- Claims that American citizens who are Hispanic have less love for their country, or less rights to have a say in political debate, than white Americans. For example, the attacks on Americans who support their rights through La Raza.

- The belief that White Christian Americans should have more say about the direction that this country is taking than any other American on issues like Multiculturalism, education, business or immigration.

- The belief that the ethnic makeup of America, whether whites are in the majority, matters one bit.

There seems to be a belief among conservatives that conservatives are never racist. Of course, you are racist if you do racist things.

Being against illegal immigration doesn't make you a racist. But, without question, being a racist can make you against illegal immigration.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,355 • Replies: 147
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 06:52 am
Re: Being against illegal immigration doesn't make you a rac
ebrown_p wrote:
- Promoting racial stereotypes and with made up facts-- for example exagerrated claims about the number of inmates who are immigrants.

How is this is racist item? To be "racist" there has to be an element of race involved and neither criminal record nor being an immigrant or native born is a "race".

Quote:

There seems to be a belief among conservatives that conservatives are never racist. Of course, you are racist if you do racist things.

This is just a flat out stupid comment. Show me ONE person that is under the delusion that there aren't ANY conservative racists.

It's a nice broad swipe on your part but I guess that's what people do when they have no argument to back their beliefs.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:29 am
Fishin,

I am saying it is racist to defame people (and by defame I mean to make false statements to increase fear or hatred of a targeted group). A great example of this is the people on A2K who claimed that 50% of inmates in California prisons are illegal immigrants. This is not only clearly false, the goal is to blame crime on illegal immigrants.

That is defamation because it is a lie directly intended to support a stereotype. If this statistic were true, it may be defensable. But the real number (only 10% of inmates are foreign born and some part of these are the illegal immigrants) isn't even close enough to be called an exagerration. It is a blatant lie.

My point about conservatives is the amount of times they make a defamatory statement (like the one above) that is not only offensive to many Americans, but also patently false.

There is racism in the anti-ilegal immigrant side-- in fact it exists in much of the rhetoric coming from the most prominant leaders (i.e. Tancredo). There are claims that ethnic Americans aren't loyal. There are conspiracy theories that Hispanics want to bring down the country. There are continuing claims that this group or that group can't assimilate.

Conservative are always brushing aside racism and pretending it isn't a real problem When people including the Anti-Defamation league (a well respected organization set up to stop similar defamatory attacks on Jews) point out the racism in anti-illegal immigration rhetorics, conservatives are very likely to dodge the issue by saying (thats just the racist card).

This is playing the "racist card' card and is a convenient way to dodge the issue.

The purpose of this thread is to distinguish between legitimate postions on immigration and racist a arguments.

There are conservatives who base their opinion on the legitimate point the illegal immigrants have broken the law. Brandon is an example of a conservative poster on A2k that, although I disagree with him, I respect his position.

But let's not deny that there are racists who are against illegal immigration, and let's not be afraid to question or challenge rhetoric, on this or any issue, that relies on stereotypes, falsehoods and defamation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:30 am
Got to agree with you, ebrown.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:47 am
Very few people refer to themselves seriously as "evil". There are always justifications that supercede labels, whenever they are applied, and we think its the other guy, the one who oppose our view, who fails to see the big picture which is so clear to us.

Racism for most people is just the consequence of "higher" goals. (Not really a racist, the argument might go--I'm just here to safeguard my version of America, let the chips fall where they may.)

I think you are on to something important here, ebrown.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:58 am
I'm not so what are you?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:03 am
WHY IS THIS FEATURED?

(I've posted several topics on the same issue - never got "featured" - little bias showing folks?)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:35 am
waaaa-aaaahh!!!!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:02 am
What a whiner. Cjhsa, not e-brown.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:12 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Fishin,

I am saying it is racist to defame people (and by defame I mean to make false statements to increase fear or hatred of a targeted group). A great example of this is the people on A2K who claimed that 50% of inmates in California prisons are illegal immigrants. This is not only clearly false, the goal is to blame crime on illegal immigrants.

That is defamation because it is a lie directly intended to support a stereotype. If this statistic were true, it may be defensable. But the real number (only 10% of inmates are foreign born and some part of these are the illegal immigrants) isn't even close enough to be called an exagerration. It is a blatant lie.

So, if this is true as you claim (and I have no idea what the numbers are so I have no reason to doubt it) then why not just counter their arguments with facts that show what the numbers are?

To my knowledge "illegal immigrant" isn't a race by any standard used anywhere in the world. As a result, claiming that statements made one way or the other about "illegal immigrants" are racist, fails. I do find it interesting however that in your initial post you mentioned "For example, the attacks on Americans who support their rights through La Raza. " and yet, by LaRaza's own admission, they ARE a racist organization. Their own WWW site says "The National Council of La Raza (NCLR) - the largest national Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States - works to improve opportunities for Hispanic Americans."

Why do they only advocate to improve opportunities for Hispanic Americans? Why don't you label them as racists? "Hispanic" is certainly a much more racist term than "illegal immigrant" is. Is fighting racism with racism acceptable?

Quote:
My point about conservatives is the amount of times they make a defamatory statement (like the one above) that is not only offensive to many Americans, but also patently false.

There is racism in the anti-ilegal immigrant side-- in fact it exists in much of the rhetoric coming from the most prominant leaders (i.e. Tancredo). There are claims that ethnic Americans aren't loyal. There are conspiracy theories that Hispanics want to bring down the country. There are continuing claims that this group or that group can't assimilate.

Conservative are always brushing aside racism and pretending it isn't a real problem When people including the Anti-Defamation league (a well respected organization set up to stop similar defamatory attacks on Jews) point out the racism in anti-illegal immigration rhetorics, conservatives are very likely to dodge the issue by saying (thats just the racist card).

This is playing the "racist card' card and is a convenient way to dodge the issue.

What you did however, was label ALL conservatives as racist. I would also point out that Liberals are just as quick to brush aside racism while using it to promote agendas.

Quote:
The purpose of this thread is to distinguish between legitimate postions on immigration and racist a arguments.

There are conservatives who base their opinion on the legitimate point the illegal immigrants have broken the law. Brandon is an example of a conservative poster on A2k that, although I disagree with him, I respect his position.

But let's not deny that there are racists who are against illegal immigration, and let's not be afraid to question or challenge rhetoric, on this or any issue, that relies on stereotypes, falsehoods and defamation.

Ok, at the same time let's make the arguments based on facts instead of relying on stereotypes, falsehoods and defamation as your posts have done. All conservatives are not racist. All conservative are not against illegal immgration. There are liberals that are racist. There are liberals that are against illegal immigration.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:19 am
Quote:
Being against illegal immigration doesn't make you a racist. But, without question, being a racist can make you against illegal immigration.

ebrown_p - Exactly. I am against illegal immigration, and the operative word here is "illegal". I don't care where you come from...............follow the rules, file the forms, and wait your turn. That is fine with me. Our country is a country of immigrants. My forebears were not Native Americans.

The problem that I have are the people who "jump the line", and sneak in, while law abiding folks have to wait to come into the country.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:20 am
Fishin, are you being serious or disingenuous?

Clearly, the subtext of illegal immigration in California is that the vast majority of illegal immigrants are Mexican nationals.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:27 am
Re: Being against illegal immigration doesn't make you a rac
ebrown_p wrote:
Just

I don't see anything in brown's initial post to disagree with, and strongly agree with my highlight above. On the other hand, if you don't do racist things, and don't advocate racist actions, you're probably not a racist. You may be a bit prejudiced. Most of us are, if you look deep enough.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:00 am
My intention was not to say that all conservatives are racist. I don't believe this.

I am saying that there are racist ideas that are being promoted by prominant conservatives and repeated by folks on A2K and I gave good examples of this.

There are also racist ideas that come from the left (and saying that civil rights groups like NAACP and La Raza are examples of racist groups is too ridiculous to even answer) and many of us in good faith have stood up against them. I have gone on record here opposing people from the left who promote anti-semitic conspiracy theories.

Those that disagree with me on immigration who don't rely on racist argument will have my respect. But there are a lot of arguments and ideas being floated from the anti-immigration side that cross the line.

There is a very important distinction, and that is my point.
0 Replies

Dghs48

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:27 am
Our Legislators have failed miserably to protect us from an invasion of illegal immigrants. It is not in their personal best interests to stop the flow and their principal goal is to get reelected. Same for Bush, who has failed to propose a sound immigration plan.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:46 am
dghs,

You are off topic, this thread is about racism (unless you are simply trying to give an example). You should read the original post and the discussion that followed so you can respond intelligently.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:53 am
Bown as usual you are all wet. How is opposition to the illegal entry into the US racist. Evidently you believe in playing the race card when all else fails. That imo makes you a racist.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 02:14 pm
au1929 wrote:
Bown as usual you are all wet. How is opposition to the illegal entry into the US racist. Evidently you believe in playing the race card when all else fails. That imo makes you a racist.

Au, as predicted to avoid thoughtful discussion about racism, you play the race card card (which of course is only properly countered with the race card card card).

In my opening post, I stated that opposition to the illegal entry into the US is not racist. Then I gave specific instances of where I thought racist ideas were inappropriately entering into the debate.

Would you care to discuss this without dodging the issue?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 03:23 pm
Quote:

However, the two issues are seperate and distinct. Racism is not a factor in the opposition to illegal immigration. Why throw it into th mix.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 03:30 pm
I agree they should be separate... but it is not my side who is throwing racist ideas into the mix.

I outlined several ways that some anti-illegal immigration people add racist ideas into the debate. I would prefer they didn't, but I feel I must respond when they do.

I would enjoy a debate about immigration that was purely about compassion versus enforcement of the law.
0 Replies