Why marry?

Pharon

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2002 06:57 pm
Hey

all

Craven just PM-ed me to say not to post in caps as it is cosidered as "shouting"on the Net. Sorry about that but i

was just to lazy to capitalize my words. i will keep this in mind for when really need to shout.
( see what i mean about

lazy!!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2002 09:48 pm
I've been married

to the same guy for over 34 years now. That takes me back to a period when it was not particularly acceptable to live

together (in fact it was down right frowned upon). Now both my kids are living with their 'significant others' and I

personally think it's not such a bad idea. My daughter is getting married next June (she's the type who has dreamed of the

wedding dress thing since early childhood). My son and his girlfriend have purchased a house together and say they will

marry before they have kids.

The main reason I think it's not a bad idea is that one learns an awful lot about

one's mate by sharing living quarters that can't possibly be found out any other way. A lasting marriage has more to do

with committment to each other than it does to anything else. And before one can make a committment to anything, one should

really know what it is that one is committing to.

My husband, by the way, was raised a serioud Catholic and has had

some trouble adjusting to his children living 'in sin', but he's come around with a little help.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2002 09:25 am
Hi bandylu! Nice to

see you.

Yeah, I'm all for living together before marriage. It just seemed to remove the whole "...and I'm gonna

have to deal with this FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!" stressor. 'Cause it's rarely smooth for two adults to combine

households, but it seems to be easier there is less pressure. I think it was different when the expectation was that women

would move out of their parent's home and into their husband's -- adulthood! -- as opposed to living on one's own for a

while.

I liked Jes' "why NOT?" list. It's also just fun to start introducing someone as "my husband/ my wife"; for

good or ill, that's seen as a whole different kettle of fish than "my boyfriend/ my girlfriend."

(Been with hubby 10+

years, married 6+.)
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2002 01:26 pm
Thanks Pharon
I've

heard this anecodote but it has been awhile. Of course, it is best to 'hear it again' with 'new ears' when the timing is

personal, as this reply was! I thank you for your feedback. Will look forward to seeing you and other new friends in this

forum as well as others here or is that *here*?
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 06:47 am
Regarding Craven's reference to wrapping the fella up for a sleepover....I think he's referring to an old Amish custom of having the engaged couple sleep together with a divider between them. Seems to me I saw that in a movie or read about it somewhere. If I'm wrong, forgive please.

Regarding marriage....there are no guarantees on anything in life including marriage.

Personally I think that some folks enter into marriage with too much seriousness and need to take things with a bit more lightness. Beloved and I both laughed all the way through our marriage ceremony and are pretty much still laughing 31+ years later. Smile

Like everything else in life, marriage is a give and take situation. You must first be friends and then be ready to take whatever you are capable of dishing out.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 06:55 am
J.G.- The practice is called "bundling". Bundling preceded the Amish in North America, and was vilified by the Puritans .

Here's an amusing essay on the art of Bundling:

Bundling
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 08:11 pm
Congratulations, JG, on the long-lasting success of your marriage.

I cried through my ceremony.....think that was a sign? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 11:15 pm
Aha! Caught JesusGirl on her second post. Glad you joined us, JG.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 01:56 am
When we were married 30 years ago, that was the only thing to do. Young folks like us didn't just live together. The first 5 years of our marriage were spent learning to be a couple, and, boy, it wasn't easy. Then we coasted for 5 glorious years. After that we had kids. The last 20 have been focused on trying to be as good parents as we are partners. It's been 30 great years, more credit to him than me, I think.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 02:09 am
Mckenzie - something you said struck a chord with me. My first husband and I became so good at parenting and taking care of business that we lost the romance part of marriage. When the romance was kaput, other positive aspects of the relationship left as well. We ended as roommates, partners, parents, and friends, but NOT married.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 04:45 am
I recently read that many marriages last as long as the mortgage obligations. This was decribed as the 'real' commitment. A financial one.
Apparently many marriages break up after the the home has been paid off ... Then couples separate & divide the assets.
I wonder how many couples stay together because of the huge financial investment?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 06:28 am
msloga- I remember my psychology teacher telling her class that, "Correlation does not necessarily mean causality".

I think that in the case of expiring mortagages, there are other factors at work. Twenty-thirty years after marriage is the time of the "empty nest syndrome". Children leave home, and couples discover that the only thing that they had in common all these years were the kids. Also, I believe that mid-life crisis comes into play at this time of life.

The ending of the mortgage may just be the "icing on the cake".Since the financial obligation is ending, it may be easier financially to break up a moribund marriage.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 09:59 am
Msolga, welcome to A2K, it's good to see you! I was thinking of you this morning as I was brushing my kitty Paddy, and wondering how you were. Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 12:03 pm
I remember an Ursula Le Guin book --I think "The Left Hand of Darkness" -- in which people entered into a romantic partnership for 7 years, and 7 years only. At the end of those 7 years, they could choose to renew, or not. Always thought that was interesting (though would have LOTS of drawbacks, too...)
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 10:09 pm
Sozobe, that's interesting. I have a feeling most of the men and at least half of the women would opt not to renew. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 03:41 pm
Smile
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 04:47 pm
Quite right, Miss Lola!

I just wish more couples would take the time to re-evaluate instead of giving up. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 05:15 pm
On their way to get married, a young Catholic couple are involved in a fatal car accident. The couple find themselves sitting outside the Pearly Gates waiting for St. Peter to process them into Heaven. While they are waiting, they begin to wonder, "Could they possibly get married in Heaven?" When St. Peter shows up, they ask him. St. Peter says, "I don't know, this is the first time anyone has asked. Let me go find out," and he leaves. The couple sits and waits for an answer. It takes a couple of months. After yet another month, St. Peter finally returns, looking somewhat bedraggled. "Yes," he informs the couple, "you can get married in Heaven." "Great!" said the couple, "But we were just wondering, what if things don't work out? Could we also get a divorce in Heaven?" St. Peter, red-faced, slams his clipboard onto the ground. "What's wrong?" asks the frightened couple. "OH, C'MON!" St. Peter shouts, "It took me three months to find a priest up here! Do you have ANY idea how long it'll take me to find a lawyer?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 05:24 pm
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwDXAjQXUIf2t1B2vhZmf5sEiNcIZU5qIgHgTtqruuxz*x7lSv15fWvSm9zxZGQWoOcyrq*jQAexNOtkJm8RtbmITe7g9*Y3lx4uBiRRsFmQ9dfbse2eQg/rotflmao0.gif?dc=4675398833867316977
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 05:47 pm
I've come to the conlusion that we marry in a fit of optimism. Very Happy
Then divorece in a fit of disillusionment & pessimism. Shocked
We seem to do so little with our feet firmly planted on the ground!
0 Replies