Cooler is Edmund Halley..
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 02:35 pm
@timur,
Hillary?
timur

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 02:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No, the guy that gave his name to the comet.

Edmund Hillary used to make joke that were Hillarious..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 03:02 pm
The 1986 appearance of Halley's comet was not very exciting--it was hard to see. My grandmother, who was a girl when it came by in 1910 said that about half the people went to church because they knew it was the end of the world, and the other half made up picnic baskets, hitched up the wagon and drove out to the country to have a comet party.
timur

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 03:07 pm
Then, all was gone with the wind.

Margaret Mitchell was born this day.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 04:18 pm
@timur,
Thought you might enjoy this picture of Margaret Mitchell's home. She was the benefactor for Blacks to attend medical school.
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag215/Tak_Nomura/img915_zpsa3b8f422.jpg
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 01:30 am
A woman took her young baby to the doctor.

The doctor saw the infant and told her to throw the baby to the trash.

-But, doctor, you can't ask me that. He is my son, and because he was born without half of his mouth, blind and with three feet, I don't think such is a reason to discard him like garbage.

-Just throw that thing to the trash.

-No doctor, I'm the mother, and I brought my baby because the lab results showed that he has cancer, a strong arthritis in his shoulders, and symptoms of epilepsy.

-Lady, throw that thing to the trash, last call...

-No doctor, I won't do that. You are lucky that my son is too young and can't understand what you say, well, he was born deaf as well, but I will do whatever is needed to cure all his diseases, including his allergy to air, look at him, he can barely breathe.

The doctor didn't wait a single minute more, and he pull out the baby from his mother's arms, and rising up the trash can cover, he threw the baby inside.

-Now, lady, -looking at her how beautiful she was- I want you to undress yourself and lean on the bed.

-But, doctor, this visit was for you to see my baby, not to see me.

-Forget about that baby, he was a mess already- and pulling his pants down he continued- we better make a new one...
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 05:06 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The 1986 appearance of Halley's comet was not very exciting--it was hard to see. My grandmother, who was a girl when it came by in 1910 said that about half the people went to church because they knew it was the end of the world, and the other half made up picnic baskets, hitched up the wagon and drove out to the country to have a comet party.

In '86, I drove out to the countryside where a local amateur astronomer had invited the public to look at it through his scope. I got my turn and saw what was like a cotton ball from across a dimly lit room. I just looked from the eyepiece to the guy and he said, under his breath so the children couldn't hear, "Yeah, I know. Sorry."

Incidentally, a couple of years ago I got to photograph a comet through my own little 3 1/2" scope. Not that it was that much more impressive:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/DSC_2740_01.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:51 am
http://www.britastro.org/projectalcock/Comets%20A%20to%20Z_files/image008.jpg

This is COMET C/1956 R1 (AREND-ROLAND; O.S. 1957 III

I was in England at the time of its appearance...and it was one of the most amazing sights I've personally ever seen. The airbase I was on had low lighting...and the comet seemed almost to fill the sky every night.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
I remember Hale Bopp, it was like a smudge in the sky. I don't recall it being particularly illuminating though.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 10:47 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I remember Hale Bopp, it was like a smudge in the sky. I don't recall it being particularly illuminating though.

I did my best to view Hale Bopp...but it was a completely loser for me. Never spotted it even once.

But Arend-Roland was something very special. Filled half the sky...and could be seen for many days (maybe weeks, I do not really remember).

It was spectacular.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 11:01 am
Talking about Halley:

From the public, his discovery brought cheers
From his wife, it drew nothing but torrents of tears.
"For you see." said Mrs Halley
"He used to come daily;
Now he comes once every 70 years!"
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 11:56 am
Did every single one of you actually miss the bad joke in Herr Hinteler's question???
timur

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 12:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
No, I got it..
0 Replies

imimpatientforanswer

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 01:12 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Oh... that was a question...
hingehead

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 01:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I never even saw it (last post on page). But I get it.

I was wondering why Set's joke was 'Bram Stoker, kinda cool'
imimpatientforanswer

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 02:09 pm
@imimpatientforanswer,
Never saw The Post To What Lustig Was referring to

Find it Humorous of I To had commented As I Had
timur

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 02:15 pm
@hingehead,
Not a joke, they share the same birthday.

Same for Edmund Halley and Margaret Mitchell.
vonny

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 03:54 pm
Two cannibals were eating a clown – one said to the other, 'Does he taste funny to you?
vonny

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 03:58 pm
A man walks into a chemist’s and says, "Can I have a bar of soap, please?" The chemist says, "Do you want it scented?" And the man says, "No, I’ll take it with me now".
0 Replies