NORTH KOREA CONDUCTS NUCLEAR TEST

parados

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 08:47 pm
Asherman wrote:

Prados,

Vital statistics for the DPRK are estimates, and 23,000,000 might well be accurate. The size of the population is primarily a function of the ratio between birth and mortality rates. Infant deaths in the DPRK are believed to be high especially in those areas hardest hit by famine. The numbers directly murdered by the regime may be in the thousands each year, but the real killer in the DPRK is the lack of adequate nutrition. Even so, the population is believed to be statistically younger than in most other countries, and that indicates a short overall life span. So why isn't the population crashing? The birth rate is very high.

Yes, the birthrate is high and the average age of the population according to the CIA factbook is about 30. That still doesn't allow for 10 million deaths to have occurred over the last 12 years. The more children in the population the smaller the % of women of child bearing age. There haven't been 10 million births in those 12 years. It would be almost mathematically impossible.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 04:55 am
parados wrote:
Asherman wrote:

Prados,

Vital statistics for the DPRK are estimates, and 23,000,000 might well be accurate. The size of the population is primarily a function of the ratio between birth and mortality rates. Infant deaths in the DPRK are believed to be high especially in those areas hardest hit by famine. The numbers directly murdered by the regime may be in the thousands each year, but the real killer in the DPRK is the lack of adequate nutrition. Even so, the population is believed to be statistically younger than in most other countries, and that indicates a short overall life span. So why isn't the population crashing? The birth rate is very high.

Yes, the birthrate is high and the average age of the population according to the CIA factbook is about 30. That still doesn't allow for 10 million deaths to have occurred over the last 12 years. The more children in the population the smaller the % of women of child bearing age. There haven't been 10 million births in those 12 years. It would be almost mathematically impossible.
You are also pretty much taking Kim's word for how many North Korean's are still alive. Some say the world may be shocked when they learn there are only 15 million of them now. How would you know?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 08:19 am
Yeah, the CIA factbook is an arm of the NPRK.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Why don't we try to stick to reputable sources here instead of making outlandish claims.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 08:32 am
parados wrote:

Why don't we try to stick to reputable sources here instead of making outlandish claims.

I haven't checked about North Korea specifically. But in general, the CIA Factbook gets its data from World Bank statistics. The World Bank, in turn, gets its data from the census bureaus of the nations that the statistics describe. I remember an earlier online quarrel about Cuban mortality statistics, where it turned out the CIA had indeed copied the World Bank's copy of the Cuban communists' own statistics.

In view of this, my working hypothesis is that the CIA's data about North Korea does not come from a reputable source. I expect it to come from a census agency in North Korea that lies and manipulates for a living. Occom Bill has good reasons to be skeptical about the data.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 08:08 pm
This all started when the claim was made that 10 million North Koreans have died at the hands of the present leader there in the last 12 years.

Since we don't have any evidence one way or the other, which statement should we believe?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:19 pm
parados wrote:
This all started when the claim was made that 10 million North Koreans have died at the hands of the present leader there in the last 12 years.

Since we don't have any evidence one way or the other, which statement should we believe?
Learn to read. 2 to 10 was the claim and with good reason. Did you watch the video? That's one of few... but I thought it was the most compelling (from memory)... and definitely not Bush propoganda. Think, before you answer.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:22 am
2nd nuke test not scheduled

Quote:
October 22, 2006
TOKYO --North Korean leader Kim Jong Il told a Chinese envoy his regime has no immediate plans to carry out another nuclear test but whether it will do so in the future depends on U.S. policy toward his country, a news report said Sunday.

Kim made the remarks to Chinese envoy Tang Jiaxuan during talks this past week in Pyongyang, Kyodo News agency reported from Beijing, citing unnamed officials.
Tang met with Kim to discuss the North's nuclear test on Oct. 9.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:12 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
parados wrote:

Learn to read. 2 to 10 was the claim and with good reason. Did you watch the video? That's one of few... but I thought it was the most compelling (from memory)... and definitely not Bush propoganda. Think, before you answer.

Right at the first part of the video it says..
"Up to 3 million of its people have starved to death in the last 10 years."
" crisis .... 3 million more people at risk"

Maybe you should think before you attack others for not thinking.
Still a far cry from your 10 million claim. The video in no way supports the 2-10 million claim. It refutes the upper end rather nicely I would say.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 09:34 am
parados wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
parados wrote:

Right at the first part of the video it says..
"Up to 3 million of its people have starved to death in the last 10 years."
" crisis .... 3 million more people at risk"

Maybe you should think before you attack others for not thinking.
Still a far cry from your 10 million claim. The video in no way supports the 2-10 million claim. It refutes the upper end rather nicely I would say.
Only because you want it to so bad. Sad really. The man is a monster and you'd rather win an argument than admit it. I did not invent the 10 million figure and never claimed it as fact. I stated at least 2 million and possibly as much as 10... which was quoting opinions that I can not verify and never claimed to be able to. The fact, not fiction, is that Kim is a murdering bastard of the worst kind and the fact that Bush identified him as such neither created his evil, nor magnified it. It was always there. Believe otherwise if you must... but opining so only serves to make you look more foolish than your normal commentary would reflect. The man will remain a monster... for as long as he's allowed to live... and any denial of same will continue to be idiotic. Hyper-partisanship can get no uglier than when it ignores the facts of the worst humanity has to offer... for what?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:40 am
I never said the man wasn't a monster.

Since the man is a monster why the hell do you have to make up stuff about him? Isn't the truth bad enough?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:50 am
parados wrote:

Since the man is a monster why the hell do you have to make up stuff about him? Isn't the truth bad enough?

I'm curious why you are defending him, if you think he's a monster and all.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:51 am
I didn't read it that way - I read it as "If the facts indict him, why make shyt up?"
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:57 am
snood wrote:
I didn't read it that way - I read it as "If the facts indict him, why make shyt up?"

I understand that. But why go out of your way to try and make a case that the facts might be in question, unless the intent was to defend him? I'm not sure if his intent was to defend the monster, but that is what he's doing, and I'm just curious why. I'm sure he has a reason ... I'm just curious as to what it is, that's all. I'm not trying to indict him as a NK supporter or anything like that.

But it sure seems as though hatred for Bush causes strange bedfellows at times.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:01 am
Yup, having an enemy in common DOES make strange bedfellows, in a lot of different situations...
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:47 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
snood wrote:

I understand that. But why go out of your way to try and make a case that the facts might be in question, unless the intent was to defend him? I'm not sure if his intent was to defend the monster, but that is what he's doing, and I'm just curious why. I'm sure he has a reason ... I'm just curious as to what it is, that's all. I'm not trying to indict him as a NK supporter or anything like that.

But it sure seems as though hatred for Bush causes strange bedfellows at times.

Because he has what you lack, intellectual consistency and fidelity to the integrity of the truth. Leave it to a conservative attorney to question another man's philosophy that facts actually do matter regardless of where they might lead.

Its pretty simple actually, you don't care about the truth; snood (and parados) do. All you care about is outcome and as long as you get to the preordained outcome you want you couldn't give a rat's ass about the integrity of the process.

That attitude might make you a big mucky-mucky lawyer, but in my field, the physical sciences, that type of person is considered a pariah and a fraud.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:57 pm
Hmmm... the troll thread was locked.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 02:46 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
parados wrote:

I'm curious why you are defending him, if you think he's a monster and all.

Let me posit the following....

Hitler raped GWBush as a young boy and warped his mind so that he now thinks it is OK to kill children.

Would you be willing to defend Hitler after that statement Tico? Or is disagreeing with the statement not a defense of the man?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 03:15 pm
Thomas wrote:
parados wrote:

I haven't checked about North Korea specifically. But in general, the CIA Factbook gets its data from World Bank statistics. The World Bank, in turn, gets its data from the census bureaus of the nations that the statistics describe. I remember an earlier online quarrel about Cuban mortality statistics, where it turned out the CIA had indeed copied the World Bank's copy of the Cuban communists' own statistics.

In view of this, my working hypothesis is that the CIA's data about North Korea does not come from a reputable source. I expect it to come from a census agency in North Korea that lies and manipulates for a living. Occom Bill has good reasons to be skeptical about the data.
Funny how one of the most intellectually honest members of A2K is straight ignored in some member's attempts to paint a repeated opinion of a possibility as a fraudulent statement. One cannot dispute a given fact, if it was never offered as a given fact... unless one simply seeks to argue. Clearly this is the case with Parados. But then, doesn't he always grasp some irrelevant portion of a statement, exaggerate it, and then proudly dispute the boogie man he's invented. Boring.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 03:27 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
a repeated opinion of a possibility

I think you should forgive people for their allergic reactions to "repeated opinions of a possibility". After all, it was a repeated opinion of the possibility of the existence of WMD that got you into Iraq.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 03:29 pm
old europe wrote:
After all, it was a repeated opinion of the possibility of the existence of WMD* that got you** into Iraq.

* that, and other repeated opinions
** you as in "The Coalition Of The Willing"
0 Replies