NORTH KOREA CONDUCTS NUCLEAR TEST

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:10 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Hmmm... the troll thread was locked.

And so kuvasz decided to come troll here ....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:12 pm
parados wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
parados wrote:
I never said the man wasn't a monster.

Since the man is a monster why the hell do you have to make up stuff about him? Isn't the truth bad enough?

I'm curious why you are defending him, if you think he's a monster and all.

Let me posit the following....

Hitler raped GWBush as a young boy and warped his mind so that he now thinks it is OK to kill children.

Would you be willing to defend Hitler after that statement Tico? Or is disagreeing with the statement not a defense of the man?

What, you mean defend Hitler on charges of rape? I don't defend accused child molesters as a matter of principle.

(And btw, what a bizarre little analogy you concocted.)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:48 pm
That's interesting Tico.

Explain this then since it isn't defending Foley who was accused of being a child molester.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2295112#2295112
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 08:07 pm
parados wrote:
That's interesting Tico.

Explain this then since it isn't defending Foley who was accused of being a child molester.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2295112#2295112

Explain what? Point out what you think is representative of my defending Foley.

Besides, I wasn't aware Foley has been accused of being a child molester. Can you provide a link?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 08:18 pm
ROFLMAO Tico..

So if something is not accurate in describing Foley then you must be defending him. After all you claimed if I said something wasn't accurate concerning Kim Jung Il I was defending him. Don't you use the same standard for yourself?

You defended Foley in a thread in which he was accused of molesting children. (A sex act was described in a very graphic manner at one point. Try page 2 of the thread you posted in defending Foley.)

So now you not only defended Foley, you are now denying you defended him and denying he was ever even accused of what you defended him for.

Case closed. Thanks for playing Tico.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 08:22 pm
It's almost like Parados can see the words, but just can't quite come to terms with what they say. Cognitive disassociation maybe?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 08:30 pm
Quote:
Kim is responsible for at least a couple million, if not as many as many as ten million dead North Koreans.

I guess if this wasn't meant to be factual then it must have been intended as hyperbole.

I didn't make up your statement Occum Bill. I only pointed out it couldn't be true.

Would you accept this statement OB as merely a statement of a possibility? Bush and his invasion of Iraq has been responsible for 200,000 Iraqi deaths, if not as many as 10 million.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 09:39 pm
parados wrote:
Quote:
Kim is responsible for at least a couple million, if not as many as many as ten million dead North Koreans.

I guess if this wasn't meant to be factual then it must have been intended as hyperbole.

I didn't make up your statement Occum Bill. I only pointed out it couldn't be true.

Would you accept this statement OB as merely a statement of a possibility? Bush and his invasion of Iraq has been responsible for 200,000 Iraqi deaths, if not as many as 10 million.

Damned Truth Troll!

http://aja.freehosting.net/images/truth%20troll.gif

Let's mambo, Mickey G! Didn't you know reality had a liberal bias?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:42 pm
parados wrote:
ROFLMAO Tico..

So if something is not accurate in describing Foley then you must be defending him. After all you claimed if I said something wasn't accurate concerning Kim Jung Il I was defending him. Don't you use the same standard for yourself?

You defended Foley in a thread in which he was accused of molesting children. (A sex act was described in a very graphic manner at one point. Try page 2 of the thread you posted in defending Foley.)

So now you not only defended Foley, you are now denying you defended him and denying he was ever even accused of what you defended him for.

Case closed. Thanks for playing Tico.

The only thing I did in the post you linked to was clarify for dlowan the point I thought was being made by Timber. Unless you think my asking her to identify what she believed to be the ethical distinction between Foley's behavior and Clinton's constitutes "defending" Foley. I made it very clear in that thread that I was not defending his behavior, and that I had a problem with what he did. On the subject of child molesters, I have been placed in the position of being asked to defend persons actually charged with the crime of lewd and lascivious behavior with children (meaning under the age of consent), and I have refused to do so. And it was that which I was referring to when I told you I don't defend accused child molesters as a matter of principle.

But, as was identified on that thread, Foley is accused of engaging in sexually explicit conversations with a male(s) above the age of consent, while Clinton engaged in actual sex acts with a female(s) above the age of consent. Thus my inquiry to dlowan about the ethical distinction she perceived between Foley & Clinton. So, you can call him a "child molester" all you want, but the fact appears to remain that he engaged in completely legal activities -- although completely unethical and wrong.

You, on the other hand, seemed rather exercised in your defense of Lil' Kim. Your primary point seemed to be an effort to make it out as if Kim isn't that bad of a guy, it's just Bushie trying to make him look bad with his propaganda machine. If that wasn't your point, you failed in your communication of same.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 06:27 am
But why go out of your way to try and make a case that the facts might be in question, unless the intent was to defend him? I'm not sure if your intent was to defend the monster, but that is what you're doing, and I'm just curious why.

It seems the act creates the intent in your mind Tico. So live up to your standard.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 08:18 am
parados wrote:
But why go out of your way to try and make a case that the facts might be in question, unless the intent was to defend him? I'm not sure if your intent was to defend the monster, but that is what you're doing, and I'm just curious why.

It seems the act creates the intent in your mind Tico. So live up to your standard.

I didn't try and make a case that any of the facts alleged against Foley might be in question.

And in any case, I said, "I'm not sure if [your] intent was to defend ...," so explain how you are now claiming your belief that in my mind it is the act that "creates the intent." If the act "creates the intent," as you claim I believe, then why would I state that I did not know whether that was your intent? After all, if it were the case that in my mind the act "creates the intent," I would simply identify your act and proclaim your intent. But the act can raise an inference of intent that can be clarified or explained. And I'm not sure you've done that yet as you're too busy deflecting.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:30 am
Ticomaya wrote:

I didn't try and make a case that any of the facts alleged against Foley might be in question.

Ticomaya about Mark Foley wrote:

I think the main point being made is that one term means one thing and is apparently accurate in this case, while the other is not.

Calling the use of a particular word "not accurate" is what? I see no difference between you saying pedophelia is innacurate in describing Foley and my saying 10 million is innaccurate in describing the deaths caused by Kim Jung Il. You can weasel all you want here Tico. Your statement is there for all to read. As is your denial that you made any such statement.

Your words with one change...
Quote:
I understand that. But why go out of your way to try and make a case that the facts might be in question, unless the intent was to defend him? I'm not sure if his intent was to defend the monster, but that is what he's doing, and I'm just curious why. I'm sure he has a reason ... I'm just curious as to what it is, that's all. I'm not trying to indict him as a Foley supporter or anything like that.

But of course
Ticomaya wrote:
I don't defend accused child molesters as a matter of principle.

So Tico, Did you or did you not say "pedophelia" was "innaccurate" in describing an accused child molester?

Ah well, your own words indict you. Nothing more need be said.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:43 am
parados wrote:
I see no difference between you saying pedophelia is innacurate in describing Foley and my saying 10 million is innaccurate in describing the deaths caused by Kim Jung Il.
That is simply because you lack the ability to reason. You seem to have convinced yourself that you actually know what goes on in North Korea... though no one outside of North Korea really could. What you consider, at best, "hyperbole"; is actually a distinct possibility. But God forbid Parados actually examine a point without some predisposition to mount some idiotic argument for the sake of argument. ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 11:05 am
Whassup, Bill?

Hey, you okay? I detect a bit of an edge lately...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 11:38 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
parados wrote:
I see no difference between you saying pedophelia is innacurate in describing Foley and my saying 10 million is innaccurate in describing the deaths caused by Kim Jung Il.
That is simply because you lack the ability to reason. You seem to have convinced yourself that you actually know what goes on in North Korea... though no one outside of North Korea really could. What you consider, at best, "hyperbole"; is actually a distinct possibility. But God forbid Parados actually examine a point without some predisposition to mount some idiotic argument for the sake of argument. ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

A distinct possibility based on what evidence?

You sent me to video of what IS going on in North Korea and that video doesn't make even close to the claim you made. 200,000 homeless children in North Korea doesn't relate to 10 million. A UN assessment of possibly 3 million starved in the last 10 years doesn't equate to 10 million.

I don't know where you learned to reason but I base my "distinct possibilities" on evidence that I can produce that will support how I made that conclusion.

Your only argument is I must be wrong since I don't know what is going on in North Korea. I didn't make the claim, you did. So, I keep asking. Provide us with your evidence of what is going on there. Your lack of evidence points to your statement being "hyperbole" since it was made without any factual basis.

Why do you have to make a point by making up facts? Aren't the facts good enough to support your statements? Falsus in parte, falsus in omnia. Does your version of "reason" say that we should ignore the supporting facts if the conclusion is a correct one?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 11:45 am
parados wrote:
...Bush and his invasion of Iraq has been responsible for 200,000 Iraqi deaths, if not as many as 10 million.

Lots of people have died in every major war. It's bad, but not new. I guess by your logic, Bush Sr was responsible for the deaths of the Iraqis killed in Kuwait, since he had the option of not sending troops, and not Saddam Hussein for trying to annex Kuwait. Furthermore, Bush is NOT responsible for 200,000 deaths in any rational sense, since this is not the number of Iraqis killed by the US military.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:07 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
parados wrote:

Every day, normal God-fearing individuals come on to A2K and face a great dilemma: Do we even bother trying to argue with the likes of you and your Right Wing friends? Or do we ignore you, figuring your dishonesty and ignorance are self-evident and fool no one else?

Normally, I opt for the latter approach, but today I'm going to make an exception. An ideologue, a true-blue fanatic like you has no need to discuss factual evidence because you don't value it for any intrinsic worth nor use it as the basis of a rational argument.

No, Bill its simply that you resent that Parados doesn't buy into your reality that is built upon questionable data. I can't believe that you accuse the guy of not knowing what goes on in NK while in the same breath admit no one really could; so where does that leave you? As Humpety Dumpety in Wonderland, as the arbiter of meaning and true knowledge? Simply for the sake of having data that is accurrate makes a priori the best agreed upon, rational decision. And that is what Parados pointed out, (as did Tico with Foley), But a quest and call for accurate data has nothing to do with the defending the outcome of a rational decision making process, other than uphold the integrity of reason. Yet you malign those who call for accurate measurements as essential components before you build your house of cards?

It doesn't matter to any of your ilk that the NK nuclear bomb material was plutonium, which Bush let the NKs develop six years after Clinton left office, or that the bomb was not made of uranium which Clinton did negotiate with NKs a termination to their uranium purification processes. Instead, regardless of what the bomb was made from, you still castigate Clinton and bypass Bush's responsibility for letting the NKs work on their bomb.

Facts again are inconveniences in pursuit of ideological posturing.

So, applying the term cognitive dissonance to those of us who actually pursue factually truth as opposed to believing your irrational hyperbole appears not only conscious transference of your own ideological blindness onto your adversary, but contrived lunacy as well.

I would welcome a decision from your side to come out for accurate facts, pragmatism, and flexibility, before they push this whole nation off a cliff, but admittedly those paths tread perilously close to embracing reality itself. But that way, of course, is like Kryptonite to Bushbot positions everywhere.

btw: what about those weapons of mass destruction in IRAQ?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:30 pm
I'd like to know where you guys stand on the 600,000 dead in Iraq being bandied about from the lancet study... I haven't seen your vigorous denial of those numbers yet.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:20 pm
Turns out Kim Jong Il did not apologize for the test, China now says that report was wrong.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:32 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I'd like to know where you guys stand on the 600,000 dead in Iraq being bandied about from the lancet study... I haven't seen your vigorous denial of those numbers yet.

start your own thread, and show where the survey used other than the best methology it could have under the circumstances but then, when has a right wing kook ever thought about a non-white body, except maybe for strom thurmond?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/10/AR2006101001442.html

Study Claims Iraq's 'Excess' Death Toll Has Reached 655,000

By David Brown
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 11, 2006; Page A12

Quote:
A team of American and Iraqi epidemiologists estimates that 655,000 more people have died in Iraq since coalition forces arrived in March 2003 than would have died if the invasion had not occurred.

The estimate, produced by interviewing residents during a random sampling of households throughout the country, is far higher than ones produced by other groups, including Iraq's government.

It is more than 20 times the estimate of 30,000 civilian deaths that President Bush gave in a speech in December. It is more than 10 times the estimate of roughly 50,000 civilian deaths made by the British-based Iraq Body Count research group.

The surveyors said they found a steady increase in mortality since the invasion, with a steeper rise in the last year that appears to reflect a worsening of violence as reported by the U.S. military, the news media and civilian groups. In the year ending in June, the team calculated Iraq's mortality rate to be roughly four times what it was the year before the war.

Of the total 655,000 estimated "excess deaths," 601,000 resulted from violence and the rest from disease and other causes, according to the study. This is about 500 unexpected violent deaths per day throughout the country.

The survey was done by Iraqi physicians and overseen by epidemiologists at Johns Hopkins University's Bloomberg School of Public Health. The findings are being published online today by the British medical journal the Lancet.

The same group in 2004 published an estimate of roughly 100,000 deaths in the first 18 months after the invasion. That figure was much higher than expected, and was controversial. The new study estimates that about 500,000 more Iraqis, both civilian and military, have died since then -- a finding likely to be equally controversial.

Both this and the earlier study are the only ones to estimate mortality in Iraq using scientific methods. The technique, called "cluster sampling," is used to estimate mortality in famines and after natural disasters.

While acknowledging that the estimate is large, the researchers believe it is sound for numerous reasons. The recent survey got the same estimate for immediate post-invasion deaths as the early survey, which gives the researchers confidence in the methods. The great majority of deaths were also substantiated by death certificates.

"We're very confident with the results," said Gilbert Burnham, a Johns Hopkins physician and epidemiologist.

A Defense Department spokesman did not comment directly on the estimate.

"The Department of Defense always regrets the loss of any innocent life in Iraq or anywhere else," said Lt. Col. Mark Ballesteros. "The coalition takes enormous precautions to prevent civilian deaths and injuries."

He added that "it would be difficult for the U.S. to precisely determine the number of civilian deaths in Iraq as a result of insurgent activity. The Iraqi Ministry of Health would be in a better position, with all of its records, to provide more accurate information on deaths in Iraq."

Ronald Waldman, an epidemiologist at Columbia University who worked at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for many years, called the survey method "tried and true," and added that "this is the best estimate of mortality we have."

This viewed was echoed by Sarah Leah Whitson, an official of Human Rights Watch in New York, who said, "We have no reason to question the findings or the accuracy" of the survey.

"I expect that people will be surprised by these figures," she said. "I think it is very important that, rather than questioning them, people realize there is very, very little reliable data coming out of Iraq."

The survey was conducted between May 20 and July 10 by eight Iraqi physicians organized through Mustansiriya University in Baghdad. They visited 1,849 randomly selected households that had an average of seven members each. One person in each household was asked about deaths in the 14 months before the invasion and in the period after.

The interviewers asked for death certificates 87 percent of the time; when they did, more than 90 percent of households produced certificates.

According to the survey results, Iraq's mortality rate in the year before the invasion was 5.5 deaths per 1,000 people; in the post-invasion period it was 13.3 deaths per 1,000 people per year. The difference between these rates was used to calculate "excess deaths."

Of the 629 deaths reported, 87 percent occurred after the invasion. A little more than 75 percent of the dead were men, with a greater male preponderance after the invasion. For violent post-invasion deaths, the male-to-female ratio was 10-to-1, with most victims between 15 and 44 years old.

Gunshot wounds caused 56 percent of violent deaths, with car bombs and other explosions causing 14 percent, according to the survey results. Of the violent deaths that occurred after the invasion, 31 percent were caused by coalition forces or airstrikes, the respondents said.

Burnham said that the estimate of Iraq's pre-invasion death rate -- 5.5 deaths per 1,000 people -- found in both of the Hopkins surveys was roughly the same estimate used by the CIA and the U.S. Census Bureau. He said he believes that attests to the accuracy of his team's results.

He thinks further evidence of the survey's robustness is that the steepness of the upward trend it found in excess deaths in the last two years is roughly the same tendency found by other groups -- even though the actual numbers differ greatly.

An independent group of researchers and biostatisticians based in England produces the Iraq Body Count. It estimates that there have been 44,000 to 49,000 civilian deaths since the invasion. An Iraqi nongovernmental organization estimated 128,000 deaths between the invasion and July 2005.

The survey cost about $50,000 and was paid for by Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Center for International Studies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1338749,00.html

http://majikthise.typepad.com/majikthise_/2006/10/over_half_a_mil.html

Quote:
Instead of extrapolating the death toll from police reports or media coverage, Iraqi scientists fanned out over the country and asked Iraqis how many members of their households had died since 2003.

Public health scientist Cervantes explains the methodology behind the Lancet study. As he notes, the scientists observed standard protocols for investigating questions of this type:

So, the researchers set out to estimate deaths by means of a household survey using area probability sampling methods. This is a method used all the time in health surveys. It's a method I have used myself, in fact. To begin, you just need census data -- it actually doesn't even have to be highly accurate as long as any errors are essentially random, or unrelated to your study questions. Then, you pick geographic areas based on probability proportionate to the population they contain. This is usually done in stages. In the Iraq study, they first determined the number of clusters they would select in each province based on population size (Baghdad, with its population of over 6 million, got 12; Muthanna, with a population of 570,000, happened to get none.) Then, towns, blocks, and starting households were selected at random. For each household selected, the 39 nearest houses were also included. This survey had a total of 47 clusters, including 12,801 persons.

The researchers interiewed adult household members between May and June, 2006, to learn about births, deaths, and migration since January 1, 2002. They also asked people to report if an entire neighboring household had been wiped out, to account for households with no-one left to speak for them. They report that for 92% of reported deaths, the respondents were able to produce a death certificate. A substantial omission in the report, I must say, is the failure to state the response rate. The investigators also refer to procedures for substituting areas which were too unsafe to visit. They do not say how often this happened, but if anything, it would tend to bias the results downward.

To arrive at an estimate of total deaths for the country, they simply multiply the deaths in the study population by the appopriate weights for the number of people each cluster represents (i.e., the inverse of the probability that a person living in that province would have been selected). The clustering does not directly affect the estimates, but it does affect the so-called confidence interval. Since people living in a specific area are at greater or lesser risk of violent death than average, the statistical power of the study is less than it would be for a single stage probability sample of 12,801 persons, because of the possibility that the selection of clusters introduced sampling error. Although the manuscript does not discuss the specific calculations that were done to adjust for this, I am willing to give investigators from these institutions the benefit of the doubt that they did it correctly.

To recap: The investigators conducted interviews in 14 of Iraq's 16 districts. Regions were assigned interview sites (clusters) according to their populations. Households within each cluster were selected at random.

Why did the epidemiologists use the cluster technique of a purely random sample? It would have been impractical to conduct a truly random survey in a country the size of Iraq. Instead, the investigators decided how many clusters they were going to have in each region and then picked people at random within their zones. If one person was selected at random, the investigators interviewed all his neighbors to complete the cluster.

The investigators interviewed about 12,800 people out of a population of nearly 30 million. So, of course the 655,000 figure is an estimate. The fundamental question is whether one can meaningfully extrapolate excess death rates for the entire country based on a sample of 12,800. Based on the numbers they observed and the statistical limitations of their methods, the authors estimate that the true number of excess deaths would fall between 426,369 and 793,663 nineteen times out of twenty.

This study estimates the number of excess deaths since the invasion. The investigators compared the death rate shortly before the invasion to the death rate for the years following. The 665,000 is the number of deaths over and above what would have occurred if the pre-invasion death rate held steady over that three-year period.

Of course, there's every reason to believe that the vast majority of deaths go unrreported by the press. After all, most of the country is off-limits to journalists. The authorities who run the morgues keep journalists out, except by special invitation. Thousands of unidentified bodies are being pulled from the Tigris alone.

We can expect a bumper crop of straw men in the right wing blogosphere. Some wingnuts are complaining that the authors didn't differentiate between civilians, military personnel, and police. No, they didn't. But you see, they didn't claim to, either. The investigators just wanted to estimate how many Iraqis have died since the invasion and compare that number to what we would have expected to see if pre-invasion death rates had continued. I know it's hard for right wingers to wrap their heads around this but: all those dead people were people. Scientists don't keep separate sets of books for the "good guys" and the "bad guys."

Then there's the correlation/causation thing. The wingnuts will emphasize that just because the death rate shot up dramatically after the US invaded doesn't mean that the US invasion actually caused all those extra deaths. No, it doesn't. However, I'll be curious to see what alternative hypotheses they have for the soaring death rate after the invasion.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22lancet+study%22+%2B+%22DEAD+IRAQIS%22&btnG=Google+Search
0 Replies