ENGLISH AS OFFICIAL LANGUAGE: YES OR NO?

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:30 pm
By the way, McWhitey, why would you assert that capitalizing "i" is good practice? Is that so that we can know just how important you consider yourself to be? Believe me, we know of your delusion . . .
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:37 pm
Setanta wrote:
By the way, McWhitey, why would you assert that capitalizing "i" is good practice? Is that so that we can know just how important you consider yourself to be? Believe me, we know of your delusion . . .

Perhaps a refresher course would be handy for you?

See rule #1.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:39 pm
Rules, schmules . . . i ain't so worried about how i appear to others that i can be arsed to shift everytime i type i . . .
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:42 pm
Setanta wrote:
Rules, schmules . . . i ain't so worried about how i appear to others that i can be arsed to shift everytime i type i . . .

Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:45 pm
This thread ranks up there with Midget Nude Mud Wrestling (actually a little below Midget Nude Mud Wrestling) From the opening premise to capitalization errors a complete waste of bandwidth.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:46 pm
Amen
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:49 pm
dyslexia wrote:
From the opening premise to capitalization errors a complete waste of bandwidth.

I've told you four weeks ago that it's NOT the bandwdth but your antique computer. (Instead of a speaker a parrot, ts, ts.)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:49 pm
dyslexia wrote:
This thread ranks up there with Midget Nude Mud Wrestling (actually a little below Midget Nude Mud Wrestling) From the opening premise to capitalization errors a complete waste of bandwidth.

Yet it was exciting enough for you to waste the three minutes you did adding to it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:50 pm
Dys may be slow, but i doubt it took him three minutes to post that.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:50 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
From the opening premise to capitalization errors a complete waste of bandwidth.

I've told you four weeks ago that it's NOT the bandwdth but your antique computer. (Instead of a speaker a parrot, ts, ts.)

I have a new computer on order, It should arrive on friday.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:51 pm
Walter, I'm very sorry I misread McG's post and confused you with another member. While I also thought your posts show that you were misunerstanding the thesis of the thread, you certainly did not deserve to be thrown in the same pot with that other member. I profoundly apologize.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:52 pm
You're such a big meany . . .
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:52 pm
Strange rule in German letter writing. The 'i' is always small and the 'You' is always capitalized.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 02:00 pm
detano inipo wrote:
Strange rule in German letter writing. The 'i' is always small and the 'You' is always capitalized.

I don't think Setanta is German.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 02:00 pm
detano inipo wrote:

Well, that's because We honour our vi-a-vis - similar to how We use the pluralis majestatis.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 02:17 pm
McGrentrix, is that any stranger than its mirror opposite, I and you?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 02:23 pm
JLNobody wrote:
McGrentrix, is that any stranger than its mirror opposite, I and you?

Question
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 02:40 pm
No . . . i ain't no German . . . i have a few, a very few, faults . . . bein' a Dutchman ain't one of 'em . . .
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:41 am
On the "officiality" of English, I don't think many are pushing for English to be the only language allowed, but rather that English is the only language that must be accommodated. I personally am not necessarily in favor of "English only" but I think it unrealistic to require languages other than English in a country where English is the official language. And I am in favor of making English the official language.

In the Salt Lake Tribune this week:

Governor unplugs EspaƱol Web site
English Only law: After just two weeks, the state data no longer available online in Spanish
By Glen Warchol
The Salt Lake Tribune

Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr., a champion of Utah taking its place in the global economy, finds himself in an awkward position after shutting down a state-owned online information site because it is in Spanish.

Huntsman's spokesman Mike Mower says the site will remain down until the governor's legal counsel can determine if its translations of basic state information violate a 2000 Utah law that makes English the state's official language.

But critics say Huntsman overreacted to a xenophobic backlash that followed the recent visit of Mexican President Vicente Fox and that continues to be fueled by the immigration reform debate.

Two weeks ago, the state launched www.espanol.utah. gov, a Spanish-language companion to the state's informational Web site
Utah's English as Official Language Law
"All official documents, transactions, proceedings, meetings, or publications issued, conducted, or regulated by, on behalf of, or representing the state and its political subdivisions shall be in English.
". . . Languages other than English may be used when required by the United States Constitution, the Utah State Constitution, federal law or federal regulation;
"by law enforcement or public health and safety needs;
"by public and higher education systems according to rules made by the State Board of Education and the State Board of Regents . . .
"in judicial proceedings, when necessary to insure that justice is served;
"to promote and encourage tourism and economic development, including the hosting of international events such as the Olympics; and
"by libraries . . ."

-- Utah State Code, 63-13-1.5

www.utah.gov. The Spanish-language site offered 10 pages of information on taxes, health services, driver licences, and work-force services selected from the state's 400-page Web site.

But within days, callers complained to the governor's office that the site violated Utah's law making English the state's official language. The Spanish-language site was quickly taken down until its content can be reviewed, said Mower.

. . . .more HERE
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:51 am
Good for the Gov!
0 Replies