ENGLISH AS OFFICIAL LANGUAGE: YES OR NO?

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:15 am
Just more evidence that Republicans hate Latinos.

In the future, conservatives will whistfully look back on there time in power.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:18 am
Foxfyre wrote:
On the "officiality" of English, I don't think many are pushing for English to be the only language allowed, but rather that English is the only language that must be accommodated. I personally am not necessarily in favor of "English only" but I think it unrealistic to require languages other than English in a country where English is the official language. And I am in favor of making English the official language.

English is not the official language of this nation. This nation has no official language. Time enough to take umbrage when and if you ever get your exclusionary agenda passed.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:33 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

How does your argument work if we like Latinos and Latin culture very much, but don't want to be invaded by millions of people of any nationality, who come into the country illegally, refuse to assimilate, and demand that we make their home tongue a national language?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:23 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

How does your argument work if we like Latinos and Latin culture very much, but don't want to be invaded by millions of people of any nationality, who come into the country illegally, refuse to assimilate, and demand that we make their home tongue a national language?

No one is invading the US. Coming into our country to pick our vegetables, clean our houses and take care of our children doesn't count as an invasion. What we did in Iraq was an invasion.

No one is refusing to assimilate. The recipients of the 1986 amnesty assimilated just fine.

No one is demanding that Spanish be made a national language. Some are demanding that English be made a national language.

It is funny that all of your points have to do with immigrants when this thread is about Spanish Speakers. This "English is the National Language" is pissing off plenty of American citizens who don't have your bias.

There are plenty of Spanish speakers who are American citizens (although nearly all of them are bilingual). Some of these are from families that have been in the US for over a hundred years.

The fact that you link Spanish speaking American citizens with illegal invaders who (I assume by respecting their own culture) "refuse to assimilate"...

Try to look at this from the viewpoint of a Spanish speaking American citizen. To them this argument is what is means to be an American. Are those of us who speak Spanish in the home, go to Mass on Sunday and don't eat a meal without tortillas and salsa on the table equals to the white Protestants.

You, like many conservatives are making the mistake of confusing "American" with "white, straight, English speaking protestant".
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:39 pm
I think the majority of Americans favor making English the national language of the U.S.

27 states have already made it the national language.

There may be a few who, as ebrown says, are pissed off on this issue (he certainly is), but not 'many'.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:45 pm
Again I'm confused about the use of "national" language and "official" language, since it's not clear, if you think those two terms to be synonyms.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:46 pm
No state, of course, has the authority to make English the "national language." I find it revealing that Brandon was at least candid enough, or incautious enough, to point to the true issue here--immigration. That is what this thread has been about from the outset--all those alarming brown-skinned people who show up here and for whom English is not their native language.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:47 pm
Thanks, Set - I've just started to research what legal background there might be to allow 27 states to create some "national" in the USA.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:53 pm
The problem with the Republicans is that they are increasingly turning to their far right core. This may win short term elections (which these days are won by getting your base out), but will run into long term problems for the Republican party and the conservative movement.

I can tell you for a fact that the Latino population is being politically energized and are the majority of them are seeing the Republican as the opposition. Likewise for the homosexual population and people who care about their privacy. Add this to African-Americans of whom the majority have conistantly felt attacked by Conservatives.

The majority get's awfully thin if you insist on alienating every single minority. Who in America hasn't been attacked by the conservatives (besides the white straight protestants)?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:54 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
No one is invading the US. Coming into our country to pick our vegetables, clean our houses and take care of our children doesn't count as an invasion. What we did in Iraq was an invasion.

Main Entry: in·va·sion
Pronunciation: in-'vA-zh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English invasioune, from Middle French invasion, from Late Latin invasion-, invasio, from Latin invadere to invade
1 : an act of invading; especially : incursion of an army for conquest or plunder
2 : the incoming or spread of something usually hurtful

Look at the second definition of invasion. Illegal immigrants are incoming to the United States. they hurt many of the economies where they end up. Were it not a problem, we would not be having the discussions we are.

Quote:
No one is refusing to assimilate. The recipients of the 1986 amnesty assimilated just fine.

Many don't agree with you/ I am one of those that believe some immigrants do not wish to assimilate. Please stop with the idealistic view you have towards illegal immigrants.

Quote:
No one is demanding that Spanish be made a national language. Some are demanding that English be made a national language.

Why do you supposed that is? There must be a reason for the push towards making English an official language...

Quote:
It is funny that all of your points have to do with immigrants when this thread is about Spanish Speakers. This "English is the National Language" is pissing off plenty of American citizens who don't have your bias.

There are plenty of Spanish speakers who are American citizens (although nearly all of them are bilingual). Some of these are from families that have been in the US for over a hundred years.

The fact that you link Spanish speaking American citizens with illegal invaders who (I assume by respecting their own culture) "refuse to assimilate"...

Try to look at this from the viewpoint of a Spanish speaking American citizen. To them this argument is what is means to be an American. Are those of us who speak Spanish in the home, go to Mass on Sunday and don't eat a meal without tortillas and salsa on the table equals to the white Protestants.

You, like many conservatives are making the mistake of confusing "American" with "white, straight, English speaking protestant".

Nonsense. American is American. Illegal is illegal. The rest of your comments are meaningless.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:59 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
The problem with the Republicans is that they are increasingly turning to their far right core. This may win short term elections (which these days are won by getting your base out), but will run into long term problems for the Republican party and the conservative movement.

I can tell you for a fact that the Latino population is being politically energized and are the majority of them are seeing the Republican as the opposition. Likewise for the homosexual population and people who care about their privacy. Add this to African-Americans of whom the majority have conistantly felt attacked by Conservatives.

The majority get's awfully thin if you insist on alienating every single minority. Who in America hasn't been attacked by the conservatives (besides the white straight protestants)?

List of latino Republicans

What's their excuse? How could Latino's possibly be members of the Republican party?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:02 pm
McGentrix wrote:

What's their excuse? How could Latino's possibly be members of the Republican party?

This one's - George P. Bush - is quite easy I suppose ...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:05 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Nonsense. American is American. Illegal is illegal. The rest of your comments are meaningless.

Bull. This has nothing to do with illegals.

The question is whether an American should be able to get voting documents in their native language? Illegal Immigrants don't vote. It is Americans who are the target of these provisions.

Why shouldn't Spanish speaking American citizens be able to get documents from their government in their language. It is their taxes that pay for them.

Republicans hate Latinos (or anyone who doesn't fit their "majority" view of what an American should be like).
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:08 pm
Setanta wrote:
No state, of course, has the authority to make English the "national language." I find it revealing that Brandon was at least candid enough, or incautious enough, to point to the true issue here--immigration. That is what this thread has been about from the outset--all those alarming brown-skinned people who show up here and for whom English is not their native language.

Correct. 27 states have passed laws to make English the 'official' language, either through statute or constitutional amendment.

It was the Senate that passed the bill to make English the national language.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:14 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Bull. This has nothing to do with illegals.

The question is whether an American should be able to get voting documents in their native language? Illegal Immigrants don't vote. It is Americans who are the target of these provisions.

Why shouldn't Spanish speaking American citizens be able to get documents from their government in their language. It is their taxes that pay for them.

Republicans hate Latinos (or anyone who doesn't fit their "majority" view of what an American should be like).

Spouting the same BS over and over doesn't make it any truer ebrown_p. Republicans hate Latinos? Get over yourself.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:19 pm
Okay, for those with bad memory or who are cognitively challenged, inadvertently or intentionally, here is a repeat of the opening post to this thread. Note that it specficially refers to the immigration thread but also included a tacit permission to discuss it on its own merits apart from the immigration issue as appropriate:

The following has been a part of the U.S. immigration reform debate, but I think it deserves its own thread and does not need to necessarily be tied to immigration issues. So what do you think? Mandate English as the official language? Encourage English? Leave the issue alone entirely? Or other. Discuss but make nice.

85% Support English as Official Language Of U.S.
June 9, 2006

Eighty five percent (85%) of Americans believe that English should be the official language of the United States. The latest Rasmussen Reports survey of 1,000 adults found that only 11% disagree and 4% are not sure.

Last month, as part of legislation on immigration reform, the Senate voted 63-34 to make English the "national" language. The semantic difference between an "official" language and a "national" language is something that only a politician could love. The survey did not attempt to make any such distinction.

An official language would require all government publications and business to be conducted in English. That requirement was not included in the Senate legislation. However, the bill does state that no one has "a right, entitlement or claim to have the government of the United States or any of its officials or representatives act, communicate, perform or provide services or provide materials in any language other than English."

Making English the nation's official language is favored by 92% of Republicans, 79% of Democrats, and 86% of those not affiliated with either major political party.

It is supported by 91% of those over 40 and 78% of those under 40. There is little difference in the views of men and women or across income categories. Eighty-eight percent (88%) of white Americans support English as the official language along with 76% of non-white Americans.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D) was upset by the measure that passed the Senate and declared it "racist."

The House of Representatives did not include a requirement for making English the national language in their immigration reform proposal.

Fifty-six percent (56%) of Americans now say that immigration reform is a "very" important issue in terms of how they will vote this November. Among those who say immigration is very important, 92% favor making immigration the official language of the United States.
SOURCE: RASMUSSEN
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:22 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Illegal Immigrants don't vote. )

Heh. Tell that to Francine Busby, who told a crowd of immigrants, "You don't need papers to vote".
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:23 pm
Quote:

92% favor making immigration the official language of the United States.

... I can't decide whether this is funny or not.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:25 pm
It was a typo that has already been commented on.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:26 pm
Fox just loves that Rasmussen joker, whose polls are always so comforting to the right.

However, this bothers me: Among those who say immigration is very important, 92% favor making immigration the official language of the United States. I don't speak Immigration--in fact, i've never heard of that langauge. If it's a Romance language, i might have a shot. But, given that i'm a native of this country, and have been able to get by on English for more than half a century, i resent the idea of having a new language thrust upon me.
0 Replies