ENGLISH AS OFFICIAL LANGUAGE: YES OR NO?

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:26 pm
SierraSong wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Illegal Immigrants don't vote. )

Heh. Tell that to Francine Busby, who told a crowd of immigrants, "You don't need papers to vote".

She also told them they didn't need papers to help with a campaign.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:28 pm
Okay. Zogby put the number at around 79%, I think, of Americans who favor making English the official language.

That better?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:31 pm
Quote:
Spanish and English are the official languages, but Spanish is without a doubt the dominant language. English is spoken for about 1/4 of the population-with limited capabilities. English is required in all federal matters. English is spoken in all major tourist areas (%80 Spanish, %20 other).

Just wondering how this can happen there, in an "organized territory of the US with commonwealth status".

But they don't have 'Latinos' there, only "white (mostly Spanish origin) 80.5%, black 8%, Amerindian 0.4%, Asian 0.2%, mixed and other 10.9%", according to the CIA-factbook.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:35 pm
SierraSong wrote:
Okay. Zogby put the number at around 79%, I think, of Americans who favor making English the official language.

That better?

Zogby's poll, however was conducted months before the issue came up in the Senate. Rasmussen's was much more recent and after the widely publicized Senate debate. I wonder if Zogby's results would be the same as before if he conducted his poll now?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:35 pm
To what does that refer, Walter, Puerto Rico?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:36 pm
Setanta wrote:
To what does that refer, Walter, Puerto Rico?

Yes.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:45 pm
There is also the question of what "official language" means as far as that poll.

I feel strongly that anyone living here should learn English (and should be given the resources to learn English). The immigrants I know, legal and illegal, are working hard to master English and many of them are fluent.

But I wonder how polls would come up in specific cases that matter...

- Should a defendant or witness in a trial be able to testify in her own language and have access to a interpreter and a lawyer that speaks her language. It is impossible to imagine a fair trial without that?

- Should a local school district with a large number of taxpayers who speak a language other than English and who, as a community, feel that a bilingual education program would help their children be able to set one up?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:46 pm
ebrown writes
Quote:
Republicans hate Latinos (or anyone who doesn't fit their "majority" view of what an American should be like).

Using your logic it would be just as easy to say that Democrats want to scrap U.S. law, culture, language, and Constitution in favor of turning everything over to Latino control and they hate anybody who objects to that.

My statement is no more stupid than yours. And believe me, they are both stupid.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 03:21 pm
The question is not which is more "stupid"... the question is which will be more effective at winning the next couple of elections.

It should not surprise you that the people who are working hard setting up voter registration drives for Hispanic Americans are Democrats. The Republicans are still counting on the pews of white churches by pandering to their vote with anti-gay drives.

I know that you will never accept or understand the phrase. You think that by protecting the "values" of white protestant America, you are somehow helping people?

But Latinos (other than the 20 some people on the Wikipedia page) understand. Many of my friends voted Republican for years because of the abortion issue (being devout Catholics). They are now vowing to never vote Republican again. They know who their enemies are.

Just wait...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 03:23 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
The question is not which is more "stupid"... the question is which will be more effective at winning the next couple of elections.

It should not surprise you that the people who are working hard setting up voter registration drives for Hispanic Americans are Democrats. The Republicans are still counting on the pews of white churches by pandering to their vote with anti-gay drives.

I know that you will never accept or understand the phrase. You think that by protecting the "values" of white protestant America, you are somehow helping people?

But Latinos (other than the 20 some people on the Wikipedia page) understand. Many of my friends voted Republican for years because of the abortion issue (being devout Catholics). They are now vowing to never vote Republican again. They know who their enemies are.

Just wait...

You think you are persuasive with your string of backhanded and/or overt ad hominems. You aren't.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 03:38 pm
Not to worry Foxfyre. I am not trying to persuade you. I gave up on saving your soul long ago.

The Republicans have been very effective at using what you are calling "ad hominems" to rile up their base for years. Even on this thread are words like "invasion" being thrown around.

A similar tactic for progressive democrats to rile up the people who Republicans are alienating enough to mobilize and vote seems very appropriate.

I also don't think I am being backhanded at all. I think your point of view is immoral, hateful and harmful to the true values of America. How can I be more direct and avoid the charge of being backhanded.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 03:54 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Not to worry Foxfyre. I am not trying to persuade you. I gave up on saving your soul long ago.

The Republicans have been very effective at using what you are calling "ad hominems" to rile up their base for years. Even on this thread are words like "invasion" being thrown around.

A similar tactic for progressive democrats to rile up the people who Republicans are alienating enough to mobilize and vote seems very appropriate.

I also don't think I am being backhanded at all. I think your point of view is immoral, hateful and harmful to the true values of America. How can I be more direct and avoid the charge of being backhanded.

Your opinion is noted. But not being backhanded? You honestly don't think the Democrats are so 'concerned' about the Latinos because they want all those lovely votes, legal or illegal? If you want a pissing match in mean spiritedness between your group and the GOP, I can match you quote for quote taken from A2K and the media, and I bet I'll have a lot of quotes left over after you run out.

I choose however to look for solutions instead of playing the blame game. I think most honorable people, both Left and Right, are wanting to find the best policy for the good of the country. Why don't you join us?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 04:07 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

I choose however to look for solutions instead of playing the blame game. I think most honorable people, both Left and Right, are wanting to find the best policy for the good of the country. Why don't you join us?

Do you really imagine that the majority of honorable people (both Left and Right) think your ideas have anything to do with the good of the country?

I don't want to join you and I think your policies are greatly harming the country. I want to defeat you politically.

It's your cultural war. Your side started it. A,nd now you want to be all lovey dovey?

Hah. I will see you in the voting booth.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:05 pm
ebrown, save her mind, not her soul
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:12 pm
I'll just refer you to my immediately preceding post, JL. Not that I think many on the Left are capable of articulating an argument without ad hominems, but I do know a few who can, and that gives me hope for all of you.l
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:17 pm
Quote:

Not that I think many on the Left are capable of articulating an argument without ad hominems

Razz
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:18 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Not that I think many on the Left are capable of articulating an argument without ad hominems,

Irony?
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:51 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Do you really imagine that the majority of honorable people (both Left and Right) think your ideas have anything to do with the good of the country?

I don't want to join you and I think your policies are greatly harming the country. I want to defeat you politically.

It's your cultural war. Your side started it. A,nd now you want to be all lovey dovey?

Hah. I will see you in the voting booth.

No matter how people vote this year, it won't change the fact that an overwhelming majority want English to be the official language in this country.

A majority also wants better border security and the simple fact is the election isn't going to make much difference in those matters.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 10:04 pm
And a majority of Americans will accept a path to earned citizenship for people now living and working here (in addition to wanting additional border security).

I can deal...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:28 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Just more evidence that Republicans hate Latinos.

In the future, conservatives will whistfully look back on there time in power.

How does your argument work if we like Latinos and Latin culture very much, but don't want to be invaded by millions of people of any nationality, who come into the country illegally, refuse to assimilate, and demand that we make their home tongue a national language?

No one is invading the US. Coming into our country to pick our vegetables, clean our houses and take care of our children doesn't count as an invasion. What we did in Iraq was an invasion.

No one is refusing to assimilate. The recipients of the 1986 amnesty assimilated just fine.

No one is demanding that Spanish be made a national language. Some are demanding that English be made a national language.

It is funny that all of your points have to do with immigrants when this thread is about Spanish Speakers. This "English is the National Language" is pissing off plenty of American citizens who don't have your bias.

There are plenty of Spanish speakers who are American citizens (although nearly all of them are bilingual). Some of these are from families that have been in the US for over a hundred years.

The fact that you link Spanish speaking American citizens with illegal invaders who (I assume by respecting their own culture) "refuse to assimilate"...

Try to look at this from the viewpoint of a Spanish speaking American citizen. To them this argument is what is means to be an American. Are those of us who speak Spanish in the home, go to Mass on Sunday and don't eat a meal without tortillas and salsa on the table equals to the white Protestants.

You, like many conservatives are making the mistake of confusing "American" with "white, straight, English speaking protestant".

I would hold precisely the same attitude about any group at all who came into my country illegally by the millions, in many cases refused to assimilate or at least failed to, and caused, either actively or passively, me to have to indicate that I am an English speaker when dialing directory assistance or any of a number of fundamental services. Had they mostly assimilated, these things would not be happening. I have no bias against people from the South. I like them, actually. Your reference to me as biased, when I simply don't want my country invaded is merely the easy but false way out of the argument for you. I welcome any immigrant from anywhere, of any race, creed, or country of origin who is willing to enter legally and learn English at least well enough to use in public.
0 Replies