ENGLISH AS OFFICIAL LANGUAGE: YES OR NO?

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:29 am
The following has been a part of the U.S. immigration reform debate, but I think it deserves its own thread and does not need to necessarily be tied to immigration issues. So what do you think? Mandate English as the official language? Encourage English? Leave the issue alone entirely? Or other. Discuss but make nice.

85% Support English as Official Language Of U.S.
June 9, 2006

Eighty five percent (85%) of Americans believe that English should be the official language of the United States. The latest Rasmussen Reports survey of 1,000 adults found that only 11% disagree and 4% are not sure.

Last month, as part of legislation on immigration reform, the Senate voted 63-34 to make English the "national" language. The semantic difference between an "official" language and a "national" language is something that only a politician could love. The survey did not attempt to make any such distinction.

An official language would require all government publications and business to be conducted in English. That requirement was not included in the Senate legislation. However, the bill does state that no one has "a right, entitlement or claim to have the government of the United States or any of its officials or representatives act, communicate, perform or provide services or provide materials in any language other than English."

Making English the nation's official language is favored by 92% of Republicans, 79% of Democrats, and 86% of those not affiliated with either major political party.

It is supported by 91% of those over 40 and 78% of those under 40. There is little difference in the views of men and women or across income categories. Eighty-eight percent (88%) of white Americans support English as the official language along with 76% of non-white Americans.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D) was upset by the measure that passed the Senate and declared it "racist."

The House of Representatives did not include a requirement for making English the national language in their immigration reform proposal.

Fifty-six percent (56%) of Americans now say that immigration reform is a "very" important issue in terms of how they will vote this November. Among those who say immigration is very important, 92% favor making immigration the official language of the United States.
SOURCE: RASMUSSEN
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 7,598 • Replies: 199
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:32 am
Re: ENGLISH AS OFFICIAL LANGUAGE: YES OR NO?
Foxfyre wrote:
92% favor making immigration the official language of the United States.

I favour Rasmussen hiring an editor.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:34 am
If it's good enough for India...it's good enough for us... :wink:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:36 am
ehBeth wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Not sure what your problem is with the statement ehBeth except that you didn't include all of it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:38 am
Foxfyre wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Not sure what your problem is with the statement ehBeth except that you didn't include all of it.

???? it must be obvious thst no one proofread that statement Foxy!!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:45 am
panzade wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

???? it must be obvious thst no one proofread that statement Foxy!!

The whole statement from Rasmussen's report is:
Quote:
Fifty-six percent (56%) of Americans now say that immigration reform is a "very" important issue in terms of how they will vote this November. Among those who say immigration is very important, 92% favor making immigration the official language of the United States.

Again, what is wrong with that?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:48 am
Foxfyre wrote:

if you don't see it...oh, let's move on Laughing
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:52 am
Foxfyre wrote:

Official or not, immigration is not a language.

If English were made the official language in the US, what would that mean in practical terms? No more Spanish government forms? No more Spanish government websites? I find it hard to imagine what difference it would practically make.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:58 am
I voted Leave this issue alone for now, by mistake, since I meant to say Other, and amend it to Leave the issue alone.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 12:03 pm
Thomas wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Official or not, immigration is not a language.

If English were made the official language in the US, what would that mean in practical terms? No more Spanish government forms? No more Spanish government websites? I find it hard to imagine what difference it would practically make.

Okay I see it now. Running sick bay at my house and no sleep. It's not an excuse, but it's a reason.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 12:17 pm
The question of course is what the "official language" means. I think the whole thing is silly since immigrants have always assimilated and learned English just fine. Is this anything more than foolish election year pandering to the extreme right, or will this have practical applications.

If this means that people need to go to court and face charges with the disadvantage of having a court appointed lawyer who doesn't speak their first language... or if they need to defend themselves without the help of a translator-- that is unconstitutional and won't fly.

If this means that government will interfere with private sector business who want to offer Spanish to their customers or advertise in their native languate... government interference in private business won't fly either.

I do support the move to not translate voting ballots though. Since you don't need to know much English to vote it is not a 14th amendment issue at all.

We only have a Constitutional responsibility to teach Spanish-speaking voters and other immigrants the one word they need to know to make their voice heard...

"Democrat".
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 12:23 pm
Are there any states that have declared English their official language? What practical consequences have the declarations had in those states?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 12:34 pm
Well I found this site. Not sure what all information is in it but maybe we can explore it together:

http://www.us-english.org/inc/images/map.gif

http://www.us-english.org/inc/official/states.asp
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 01:10 pm
In Switzerland there are four official languages:
German, French, Italian and Rumantsch.
Inofficially the fifth one is English.
0 Replies

astromouse

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 02:46 pm
Yo pienso que esta señora Foxfyre esta mal de la cabeza , porque piensa que la inmigración es un lenguaje, ¡Imaginatelo nada mas! ¡Que barbaridad!

Razz
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 03:11 pm
Me parece que tu eres mal educado Razz
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 03:29 pm
We've got German as official language here in Germany as well as Danish, Sorbian, Frisian and Low German.

German is the officialese, though.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:32 am
Son cabezas de poopity.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:31 am
From the Philidelphia Daily News, if this gets wide circulation, I would think it will certainly provide fodder for the "English only" campaign. When a private business is not allowed to insist that business be conducted in English, this could definitely stir up some new interest in a law making English the official language and defending English only policies.

Geno's hit with bias complaints
The Commission on Human Relations said it would insist on removal of a "Speak English" sign at the cheesesteak shop.

By Mitch Lipka
Inquirer Staff Writer

One of South Philadelphia's biggest names in cheesesteaks is in a bit of a legal pickle for a lunch-line political statement against immigrants who don't speak English.

The city's Commission on Human Relations yesterday filed a discrimination complaint against Geno's Steaks over signs that read: "This is AMERICA ... WHEN ORDERING SPEAK ENGLISH."

Owner Joey Vento has become a mini-celebrity over the issue and has steadfastly refused to pull down the signs despite the growing legal brouhaha. His son, Geno, said his father would not comment on the matter to The Inquirer.

Reached at his home yesterday evening, the Rev. James S. Allen Sr., commission chairman, said it was incumbent on the commission to get the sign removed.

"We think it is discriminatory, and we are concerned about the image of Philadelphia," he said.

According to the complaint, which was served on Geno's yesterday afternoon, the restaurant is in violation of two sections of the city's antidiscrimination laws: denying service to someone because of his or her national origin, and having printed material making certain groups of people feel their patronage is unwelcome.

In two weeks in the media spotlight, Vento - who has done a whirlwind of local and national talk shows - has defended the sign and said he had no intention of removing it.

He has said it is an immigrant's duty to learn the language and has acknowledged that his strong feelings were directed at Mexican immigrants, whose ranks are growing in South Philadelphia.

Vento, 66, said that the sign had been up for six months without complaint until recently and that it simply spoke to the notion that people who choose to live in this country should endeavor to speak English. He has made a point of saying he had never denied anyone service regardless of language.

But Allen said that didn't matter.

"The issue is not whether anyone has been denied service, but that such a sign discourages people from coming asking for service," he said.

Vento's son said yesterday his father would not comment on the issue to members of the print media on the advice of legal counsel.

Allen said the complaint begins a legal process that could subject Geno's to sanctions if the sign is not removed. It was not immediately clear how severe a penalty Geno's could be subject to if the complaint is found to be valid and an order to remove the sign is ignored. Rachel Lawton, acting executive director of the commission, did not return repeated calls seeking clarification and comment.

An investigation will begin, Allen said, and Vento will be afforded an opportunity to respond to the complaint. Then the two sides are supposed to get together to resolve their differences.

If the issue is not resolved, Allen said, a public hearing will be scheduled. The process, he said, could continue beyond that and has no certain time parameters.

"It depends on what his response is," Allen said.

The American Civil Liberties Union said that Vento had a right to express his opinions, regardless of how offensive they might be, but that his particular message might cross the line because of specific laws intended to make so-called public accommodations available to everyone.

Public opinion on both the Geno's episode and the larger issue of immigrants speaking the language of the land has been split. The Pew Hispanic Center last week drew attention to a poll that showed a large majority of immigrant Hispanics want to learn English.

City Councilman Jim Kenney said it was time for Vento to back down. He asked the cheesesteak wiz to take down the sign before the matter escalated.

"I asked for consideration, and the consideration was rebuffed," Kenney said yesterday. "I just think it's mean-spirited and divisive, and it's not good for the city's image."
SOURCE
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:37 am
Wasn't German considered to be a good candidate for the US' Official language early on in the country's conception? I can't imagine what would have happened if they had decided it was German back then.

Would German have become the defacto "International" language of the world?
0 Replies