ENGLISH AS OFFICIAL LANGUAGE: YES OR NO?

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:48 am
Thomas wrote:
. . . it would still mystify me why this should be a policy priority in America's current political environment.

The truth, which is not conclusively demonstrable, is nevertheless that a lot of right-wingnuts are hysterically alarmed at the number of brown-skinned speakers of other languages who are increasingly visible in our society.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:49 am
A couple of years ago, the CEO of Ford Germany (or was it Opel, a GM firm?) couldn't speak a single word German when he got the job ...

My niece is head of an American firm (German branch of that, it is) - both her deputies are US-Americans .... unable to understand the simpliest German sentences.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:52 am
Well, a course not Walter . . . with all them Dutchmen running around loose over there, somebody had to introduce some sanity into the situation . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:54 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
A couple of years ago, the CEO of Ford Germany (or was it Opel, a GM firm?) couldn't speak a single word German when he got the job ...

My niece is head of an American firm (German branch of that, it is) - both her deputies are US-Americans .... unable to understand the simpliest German sentences.

You are making my point. The people that you are speaking of are high level executives. If your niece were a secretary, or file clerk, I would bet my bottom dollar that she could not get a job in a German firm without speaking German, and rightly so. She would be relegated to the lowest level unskilled positions, and would not be able to rise until she spoke German.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:55 am
McGentrix wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Well, in that case, isn't English already the official language?

No, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I don't understand.

You clearly stated that:

McGentrix wrote:
Here in America, when "official language" is referred to , that means government documents, applications, legal proceedings, etc, would be done in English. We would need to have every form written in multiple languages.

It is not a demand for anyone to speak English, just that "official" forms, etc would be written in English.

I hope that clears any confuson up.

But your official forms are written in English, are they not? I can't imagine them all being originally written in Spanish. I can't imagine legal proceedings being originally written in German.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:56 am
McGentrix wrote:
I am not sure what you mean here Thomas. When someone call customer service in Germany, are you first greeted by someone asking you to press eine for Deutcsh?

The most likely scenario is you'd be greeted by a real person who (at the least) speaks German and English. If you do get a robot, it will offer you a choice of (at the least) English and German. If you're at an ATM, the usual choices are German, English, French, and Spanish. (Plus Italian sometimes.)

Setanta wrote:
The truth, which is not conclusively demonstrable, is nevertheless that a lot of right-wingnuts are hysterically alarmed at the number of brown-skinned speakers of other languages who are increasingly visible in our society.

Makes sense. After all, Mexicans tend to be socially conservative, utterly Christian, and consumed with family values. They wouldn't want those to endanger America's liberal traditions. Razz
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:57 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

The question is more similar to whether German should be the official language of Germany, or whether the government, public utilities, etc. should give German no higher status in Germany than other languages, and require German citizens to select German language versions of things in their own country.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:58 am
That's an excellent and hilarious point, Thomas. When once the Spanish-speakers to get official status as residents or citizens, they are precisely the demographic upon which conservatives rely. Thanks for introducing that note of hilarious irony.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:00 am
Setanta wrote:
That's an excellent and hilarious point, Thomas. When once the Spanish-speakers to get official status as residents or citizens, they are precisely the demographic upon which conservatives rely. Thanks for introducing that note of hilarious irony.

Yes, but they tend to be Catholics and you know how evil those Catholics can be... Question
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:00 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
You are making my point. The people that you are speaking of are high level executives. If your niece were a secretary, or file clerk, I would bet my bottom dollar that she could not get a job in a German firm without speaking German, and rightly so. She would be relegated to the lowest level unskilled positions, and would not be able to rise until she spoke German.

I think Walter was answering SierraSong's question, which doubted that you can land a good job in Germany without speeking German. The answer is they can.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:02 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Yes, but they tend to be Catholics and you know how evil those Catholics can be... Question

You'd be a fool to think that matters to the politicos . . . the Shrub took the trouble to learn to speak Spanish, and his brother Jeb (Gov of Florida) is married to a Spanish speaker . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:06 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

The question is more similar to whether German should be the official language of Germany, or whether the government, public utilities, etc. should give German no higher status in Germany than other languages, and require German citizens to select German language versions of things in their own country.

"Officially recognised languages" in Germany are:
  • German
  • Danish
  • Sorbian
  • Frisian
  • Low German

German is the "officialese language".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:07 am
Quote:
I think Walter was answering SierraSong's question, which doubted that you can land a good job in Germany without speeking German. The answer is they can.

These folks did not speak German, but they had credentials that overshadowed that fact. In the US, we are speaking of people who are immigrants, often have little skills, and don't speak the language.

I look at this whole issue a little differently than most. I think that the people who push bi-lingual education, are insuring the continuance of a large group of static, unskilled workers.

In other words, people who preach bilingualism in the US, IMO, want to keep Hispanic people on the lowest level of society, and maintain for large corporations a expanding pool of cheap labor.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:11 am
Setanta wrote:
You'd be a fool to think that matters to the politicos . . . the Shrub took the trouble to learn to speak Spanish, and his brother Jeb (Gov of Florida) is married to a Spanish speaker . . .

Of course it mattered. Why else did you think the right-wing elements of the Democratic Party left? It was because Kennedy was a Catholic.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:12 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

"Officially recognised languages" in Germany are:
  • German
  • Danish
  • Sorbian
  • Frisian
  • Low German

German is the "officialese language".

Fair enough, but I don't want that here. If someone wants to move here, I don't think he can expect us to add a 2nd our national language for his benefit.
0 Replies

Setanta

You're wrong if you think the "right wing" of the Democratic Party left. Do a google search on "Dixiecrat"--the Southern Democrats had been out of the mainstream of the party for a long time before Kennedy showed up. Your historical event horizon is apparently rather limited.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Phoenix32890 wrote:
I think that the people who push bi-lingual education, are insuring the continuance of a large group of static, unskilled workers.

Since I watch football as well now, I don't want to look up the relevant pages - but exactly bi-lingual education is thought here in Europe to be one of the prime factors for skilled and educated workers.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:13 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I look at this whole issue a little differently than most. I think that the people who push bi-lingual education, are insuring the continuance of a large group of static, unskilled workers.

I have two cousins who received a bilingual education at a German school in Spain. They have learned both languages well. So maybe the problem isn't that schools teach the wrong language. Maybe the problem is that American schools are wretched no matter what they teach.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:14 am
I said that earlier: obviously this isn't a discussion about "official language" but immigration.

Sad that you can't see the differences between these two topics.
(But
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:15 am
I said that earlier: obviously this isn't a discussion about "official language" but immigration.

Sad that you can't see the differences between these two topics.
(But as said earlier as well: you obviously don't have much experiences with more than one language.)
0 Replies