Strip Clubs - How do you feel about them

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 05:25 am
I can think of few things sillier, nor more typically, laughably European, than the thought of going to a club to watch someone strip and recite poetry . . . puh-leeze . . .
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:00 am
well, then don't go into such establishments. there, easy, solved. what is 'laughably european'? that i don't understand. i think it's silly to watch TV, for example - but won't go around and tell people who do that they are ridiculous, you know.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:02 am
Neither do i, even though i'm generally unimpressed with television--although there was a good show on about gothic cathedral construction last night.

However, you surely don't mean to say you think i should not comment in a thread about the comments that others make in the same thread?

What is laughably European is the pretence of a more cultured ambiance. Uh huh . . .
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:06 am
opinion is one thing, passing judgment as some generalized truth quite another.
i don't see it as pretentious, i mean i'm talking sixties in eastern europe - who would we want to outdo in being 'more cultured'? it was freedom of expression, the detente, including in arts, which this happened to be a part of. you could denounce just about any alternative art as a snooty pretense of a more cultured ambiance , i don't buy that, it's empty.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:10 am
Dag wrote:
passing judgment as some generalized truth quite another.

Got a mirror?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:18 am
The naked news is pretty laughable, too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:20 am
My boss tipped that to me once, and urged me to look it up online, while i was at work. It was pretty ridiculous . . . but hey, it's Canada, they're entitled . . .
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:28 am
whatever, set. talk about snootiness...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:31 am
I haven't any reason to talk about you . . .
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:33 am
well, this laughable european has to work. back later.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:34 am
Have a good day . . .

I did not say that Europeans are laughable, that's a strawman. I do consider silly European attitudes of cultural superiority laughable, and if that bothers you, all i can say is that if the shoe fits . . .
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:46 am
you too. i still don't see how a poetry strip tease is an attitude of cultural superiority, but suit yourself.

-out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:04 am
Looks like dag and I will be going to the burlesque show without Set.

s'ok

<I'm looking into burlesque classes these days - got to do something interesting if my buddy really gets his club's float into the gay pride parade>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:26 am
I think the idea of a woman striping while reciting poetry is kinda silly too, regardless of the country she's doing it in.

I've probably got a little more testosterone in my system than is good for me....so I can imagine what I'd be thinking if I came across that....

"Would she just shut the hell up and take off something, or jiggle something at least. I came here to get a boner and this poetry sh!t just ain't cuttin' it"

If a person wanted to look at naked people being artistic, they should go to a museum. If the reason to look at nekkid people is to get aroused, I'd want to see them doing something naughty that they're not supposed to be doing.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:30 am
Well, to each his own, chai, right? Silly to some, beautiful to others. As it is with many things.
I've never been to such event, I doubt they still happen, this, again, was the sixties in Eastern Europe. It had other reasons and context as well, one should consider that. It wasn't 'just' striptease, which was actually secondary in this case.
But we were talking about art and striptease, so all I'm saying is that they can well mix.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:42 am
actually, I was just trying to take the european vs. non european component out of it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:47 am
sure, why not. there most likely are some differences, as in prostitution, striptease, erotic anything seems to me to be more tolerated in europe than here, more part of the mainstream culture, but when it comes to a regular strip joint, they would probably be just about the same these days wherever in the world.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 12:34 pm
I would like to learn burlesque...It's far more classy than a basic strip tease and sexy as hell when done right.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 12:37 pm
i would like to run a burlesque house

thats not the same thing huh..
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 12:45 pm
I'd like to take a course in pimping...think slappy would coach me?
0 Replies