I have a daughter or do I?

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 09:31 am
Dys
If it were me, I know I'd want her to hear my side of the story because I think she deserves that as much as you do.
From what you've explained about your ex, I believe she never gave your daughter the gifts and letters you sent, so that would mean that your daughter is living her life based on lies.
I know if I was your daughter I would want to know the truth, especially if I have such a wonderful dad.

(((((((Dys)))))))
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 09:56 am
Interesting take on things you have Montana. The "his" side vs the "her" side. I really don't look at it the same way and I would never want to get into a "let me tell you the whole truth" because it would put my daughter into a postion of having to take sides and that could get really ugly really quickly. In addition I don't know that I would have been an adequate father (I like to think I would have been) My only motive/goal would be for myself and my daughter to have an adult relationship based on the present, totally ignoring the past. I question the possiblity of that happening for numerous reasons but mostly the need for her mother to justify her past actions as well as the human tendency to "color" their histories in the best possible light.I see, in praticial terms, no solution if she wants to find me, she can. I believe I will leave it at that.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 10:00 am
I think that's a good decision, Dys.

(Sigh.) Life is so complicated.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 10:03 am
I've thaught, you would come to this decision, dys, ... .

Live really isn't easy.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:19 am
I'm sorry if I made it sound like that Dys and that was so far from my intention.
I just know that I would want to know who my dad really was, is all.

I hope she finds you so she'll have the joy of knowing the wonderful you we all know here.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:31 am
dyslexia wrote:
I see, in praticial terms, no solution if she wants to find me, she can. I believe I will leave it at that.

Well, there is nothing else to say, except: I sincerely wish for you
that your daughter will contact you one day.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:45 am
dyslexia wrote:
I see, in praticial terms, no solution if she wants to find me, she can. I believe I will leave it at that.

Of course, the ultimate decision is up to you. Yow know what is emotionally comfortable for you. I think though, that if you give yourself some time to have this issue "settle" in your mind, you just might want to take a shot at finding her.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 01:33 pm
I believe dys has made the right decision.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 01:43 pm
Me too.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 02:26 pm
Here's my gut instinct:

Your ex-wife pretty much told your daughter what an awful person you are and she believed it. My bet is she wants to know about you but feels a loyalty to her mother. It may even be possible your wife withheld all the cards and gifts you sent.

Have you thought of hiring a detective? She's an adult now and it may be wiorth your while to give it a try.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 02:56 pm
Gala, A detective for what purpose?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 02:59 pm
Dys said he doesn't know her last name or address.

I skimmed and did not read all the entries and just went with my gut -- so if I am out of step...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 03:00 pm
Yes, but what difference does that make if he has no intention of initiating contact?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 03:02 pm
As I said, I am out of step with what he might have said. Nonetheless, a detective could still fill in some of the blanks about who she is and where she lives-- even if he never contacts her.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 03:05 pm
On second thought, your option might not be a bad one.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 03:10 pm
If it were my child I'd want to know all the details-- is she married, any kids, what does she do for work, is she happy, all the things a decent detective could find out.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 03:11 pm
Good points all!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 03:40 pm
dyslexia wrote:
a simple letter? written to whom? I know not her name nor where she is.
Sad story Dys. I'm sorry to hear it. I have little to offer by way of advice; that doesn't boil down to "follow your heart".

If you think it's best to leave it be for her sake and/or your own; there's nothing wrong with that. Nothing.

If however you think you'd like to contact her; stop using excuses like not knowing her name or number. A private investigator could probably provide you both in a matter of days if not hours.

You have my best wishes and warmest regards, what ever you decide.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 07:01 pm
Dys, I was thinking about this some more-- and repression is not good when you are haunted. Let it out of your system, otherwise you're going to implode.

It's as if you are serving a self-imposed jail time for something that happend more than 30 years ago. You're different now, your life is different now, you're more settled and perhaps this is why this is bubbling to the surface.

You can get information about her and still not contact her-- think of it as investing in some peace of mind. You certainly deserve it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 10:29 pm
Dys,

Whatever you do decide, you have to be at peace with that decision.

I hope you find that peace.
0 Replies