Questions about Homosexuality

flushd

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 06:48 pm
Yeah. I'm starting to get what Lightwizard is saying 'ere.

Tagged_l is wired to be straight. L. is wired to be gay. Chumly is wired to be bi.

None can up and decide "okay..I'm gonna change and be a different orientation".

I think that is why people get so confused about bisexuality. In the same way that a straight person is only attracted to the opposite sex (and can not become attracted to the same sex by choice), or a gay person is attracted to only the same sex (and can not be attracted to the opposite by choice); a bisexual is attracted to both (and can not be attracted to only one sex by choice).

phew. I wanted to get that out in some way.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 07:13 pm
JB and Lash--
Based on these examples, it is hard for me to see how a gay man's attraction to another man might be similar to a straight man's attraction to a woman. I have a pretty good imagination, but I cannot imagine any situation that might cause me to decide to have sex with a man, let alone a relationship (however fake).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 07:55 pm
Everyone's heard of the expression AC/DC. I suppose although it will be hard to demonstrate as bi's have always seemed to be the most reticent to sit down with what is really a sexual investigator (like Kinsey's crew). Also hard to find in the first place.

echi, you're trying to deal with it as an logical, planned out choice which it is not. You can't be expected to understand -- tolerance and acceptance for what you don't understand is what has to take place. It only proves that you can't force yourself to be what you are not wired to be. Ergo, homosexuality is not a choice. It's a natural consequence of nature, which is only perfect in its imperfection. There are so many more if you study biology. Nature doesn't try to hide the tricks like it was a magician. There really is not way to make average mean natural or vice versa.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:09 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
echi, you're trying to deal with it as an logical, planned out choice which it is not.
Trying to deal with what? The phenomenon of gay people being in straight relationships? Homosexuality, in general?
Quote:
You can't be expected to understand -- tolerance and acceptance for what you don't understand is what has to take place.
I don't understand.
Quote:
It only proves that you can't force yourself to be what you are not wired to be.
What does?
Quote:
Ergo, homosexuality is not a choice. It's a natural consequence of nature, which is only perfect in its imperfection. There are so many more if you study biology. Nature doesn't try to hide the tricks like it was a magician.
What?
Quote:
There really is not way to make average mean natural or vice versa.
I think I can agree with this last part. After all, is anything really unnatural?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:55 pm
echi: If you didn't understand any of that, I'm afraid I won't elaborate.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:05 pm
That's fine. You probably shouldn't try.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:12 pm
Not really worth it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:13 pm
I don't think it's going to happen.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:19 pm
Hey Echi, you're on a certain thread, it's called "Questions about Homosexuality."

Have you read the whole thing?

If not, I strongly encourage you to do so.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:20 pm
This is a really strikingly informative thread.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:23 pm
You know what's hilarious?

Thought process:

Man, I wish I had Lightwizard's willpower to just not get into it.

Well on the other hand, I'm kinda glad I started that one thread about homosexuality.

Hey, maybe I can point echi to it. I'll go find the url.

Hey, wait a minute...

Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:25 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
(And how many male bi-sexual friends did you say you had?)
Should I count you as one? Laughing
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:31 pm
Thanks, sozobe. I'm pretty sure I have read the whole thing. Is there something you think I missed?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:34 pm
echi wrote:
Thanks, sozobe. I'm pretty sure I have read the whole thing. Is there something you think I missed?

Kinsey's scale--for a couple of I don't understand sentences on the previous page...?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:36 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
.......bi's have always seemed to be the most reticent to sit down with what is really a sexual investigator (like Kinsey's crew). Also hard to find in the first place.
What places have you looked? Also, apparent reticence is not an indicator of inclination.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:41 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
It only proves that you can't force yourself to be what you are not wired to be. Ergo, homosexuality is not a choice. It's a natural consequence of nature, which is only perfect in its imperfection.
I think you may be diminishing socio-economic-theistic influences, witness the ancient Greeks.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:54 pm
I think a definition of sexuality is in order!

For example if one has same sex fantasies is that bisexuality of the mind?

If a man has sex with two women, is he potentially part of a bisexual act?

If a man has sex once in a blue moon with a man but generally prefers the company of women is he bisexual?

If two men masturbate together without touching each other are they then bisexual and therefore always should be identified as bisexual from then on irrelative of what sexual inclinations and actions they have and will have?

I assert that the terms heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual are rather vague and inaccurate generalizations at the best of times.

I assert that the terms heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual can only really apply to a specific act and/or state of mind at any given time.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:56 pm
I think a definition of sexuality is in order!

For example if one has same sex fantasies is that bisexuality of the mind?

If a man has sex with two women, is he potentially part of a bisexual act?

If a man has sex once in a blue moon with a man but generally prefers the company of women is he bisexual?

If two men masturbate together without touching each other are they then bisexual and therefore always should be identified as bisexual from then on irrelative of what sexual inclinations and actions they have and will have?

I could list lots more variances but you can use your imagination to fill in the gaps!

I assert that the terms heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual are rather vague and inaccurate generalizations at the best of times.

I assert that the terms heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual can only really apply to a specific act and/or state of mind at any given time.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:58 pm
I think that sounds about right, Chumly.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:44 am
I could buy that to a degree, Chumly, since sex is as illusive to analyze as love itself. Sex or love between two consenting adults has to be the business of only the two consenting adults. That's why the sodomy laws have been struck down (not thanks to some bigoted judges on the USSC). The slippery slope baloney that this could lead to making it legal for a man to marry his goat is ridiculous but the humor in it, explored in "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex," is unmistakable. I could care less if someone wants to screw their pet goat but anyone who convinces an under-aged child to have sex with them is anathema. Jesus, even though he probably never said it, it being added into the Bible over 200 years later, would still say, "Who amongst you who have not sinned should cast the first stone." Stoning is a symbol of bigoted verbal attacks as well. A holier than thou egotistical mind trip that makes the individual feel superiority and control. Are there any mirror in their house? I suggest they go and look into one and see what they will see.
0 Replies