VP Cheney shoots man in Texas while hunting

cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:44 am
Actually, I'm surprised at the extent of the injury from a small caliber shotshell like a .28 at that range. I suspect the guy was closer than 90'.

It's also interesting to note that the doctors are claiming he was hit with over 200 pellets. There are approximately 366 pellets in a 28-gauge shell, so more than half of them hit him.

My experience with much larger gauges has been that at 90' the pattern is pretty big - too big to put half of the pellets into one person.

So, while I don't agree with owl's assessment of the event itself, I do agree there is an effort to mislead the public.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:47 am
My lawyer in Texas got shot dead in Texas bout ten years ago. I think it was over an oil deal.

Hmmmmmm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:50 am
To clarify what I said above - there are approximately 366 pellets in a #7 28-gauge shotshell.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 08:45 am
so then #9 shot would have more, albeit smaller, pellets. I've never fired a 28 gauge, (never seen one actually) but I do have a difficult time understanding 28 gauge, #9 shot penetrating a man's chest at 90 ft.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 08:52 am
gol dernit I forget the name of that gun Lee Harvey Oswald had at the book depository in Dallas.

couldit be the same gun?:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:00 am
seaglass wrote:
gol dernit I forget the name of that gun Lee Harvey Oswald had at the book depository in Dallas.

couldit be the same gun?:

Yeppers, you named that tune in 3 notes. Hand that lady a cupie doll.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:02 am
Texas seems to be the common denominator.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:08 am
wandeljw wrote:

Yes indeed, when we go a'hunting here in new mexico for quail (well we don't go a'hunting for quail in new mexico but that's another story), anyways when we go a'hunting we use a 30-30. Noone ever gets "peppered" they gets dead.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:14 am
dyslexia wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

Yes indeed, when we go a'hunting here in new mexico for quail (well we don't go a'hunting for quail in new mexico but that's another story), anyways when we go a'hunting we use a 30-30. Noone ever gets "peppered" they gets dead.

And it's always someone a mile away. No sense hitting someone in your own party. :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:22 am
Parados, you imply the possibility of our missing a quail on the wing. I also pick up an implication of over penetration. We got some tough old birds in this state.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:36 am
cjhsa wrote:
My experience with much larger gauges has been that at 90' the pattern is pretty big - too big to put half of the pellets into one person.

That makes sense.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:47 am
There's two factors that affect the pattern, barrel length and choke. Since quail are small and tend to flush at a fair distance, it is also possible he was using a longer barrel at full choke, which might explain the tight pattern. Might...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:51 am
Ok so we have possibilities explaing the shot pattern, do we have possibilities explaining 28 gauge with #9 shot at 90 ft penetrating a man's chest?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:53 am
My theory is that the heart pellet is actually from a bird the laywer shot and ate years ago.

Or, maybe Dick tried to put his friend out of his misery. Wink
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 11:21 am
cjhsa wrote:
My theory is that the heart pellet is actually from a bird the laywer shot and ate years ago.

Or, maybe Cheney is telling boldfaced lies about the specifics of the shooting.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 11:28 am
snood wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

What lies, snood?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 11:50 am
The best coverage on this entire thing was The DAily Show. LMAO. (too bad that Mr Wittington is in a hospital)

Now theyre calling it FUDD GATE (after Elmer Fudd)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 12:14 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
snood wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

What lies, snood?

If the wounds could not have been made from the distance he alleged, and the gentleman was much closer, then Cheney might well have just lied to make himself look better. That seem farfetched to you, does it? Ballistic forensics is pretty solid science, don't you think?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:10 pm
snood wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
snood wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

What lies, snood?

If the wounds could not have been made from the distance he alleged, and the gentleman was much closer, then Cheney might well have just lied to make himself look better. That seem farfetched to you, does it?

Explain why he would lie about the distance? I mean, if you're following a bird as you swing your gun from left to right, fire your gun, and at that moment see your friend fall, why would it matter if he was 30, 20 or 10 yards away in terms of trying to make himself "look better"? I'm just not following your theory of the benefit he would reap by lying.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:13 pm
snood wrote:
Ballistic forensics is pretty solid science, don't you think?

Yeah, and ought to give a sense for the distance, based on the gauge of the gun, the load fired, the choke, and the length of the barrel. So it ought to be a fairly easy determination what the true distance is.
0 Replies