That's the best news I've seen today.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 10:01 am
Chappaquailick.....
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:39 pm
Actually Wittington grabbed the last "chalupa" at lunch and Cheney was pissed...........
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 02:07 pm
Texas Sheriff Barred From Interviewing Cheney About Shooting Incident
CBS News reports that local law enforcement officials were prevented from interviewing Vice President Cheney after he accidentally shot a 78-year-old man during a hunting trip:

CBS News White House correspondent Peter Maer reports Texas authorities are complaining that the Secret Service barred them from speaking to Cheney after the incident. Kenedy County Texas Sheriffs Lt. Juan Guzman said deputies first learned of the shooting when an ambulance was called.

McClellan was asked about it at the press briefing but played dumb:

QUESTION: Scott, there's a report coming out of a sheriff's deputy there who said that he was prevented from interviewing the vice president by the Secret Service. Do you know anything about that? And is that appropriate?

MCCLELLAN: No, I don't know anything about that. You have got to direct that to the Secret Service. My understanding was that Secret Service took the appropriate steps to inform law enforcement.

Of course, the question is not whether the Secret Service informed law enforcement, but whether law enforcement was permitted to speak with Cheney. As Talk Left notes, although the incident was an accident, it could constitute criminal negligence.

UPDATE: At the breifing McClellan refuses to "speculate" as to whether the accidental shooting was a criminal offense:

QUESTION: Under Texas law, is this kind of accidental shooting a possible criminal offense?

MCCLELLAN: I won't even speculate on that, but I think the sheriff's office or the local law enforcement office has already commented on that and said it was a hunting accident.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 02:12 pm
My favorite McClellan line today had to do with the question of why the ranch owner reported the news. He answered that this is the appropriate way to do it. He also said that the priority was to provide medical care to the shooting victim.

As if reporting a shooting in a timely way somehow would hinder medical treatment. I'll say this for McClellan: He can think on his feet. It's a lot nonsense, but he's glib...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 02:22 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
l...but it does make Cheney a dumb **** and that's always delicious.

Kind of hard luck on the guy who got shot, though.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 06:36 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

I gotta disagree, cj. A quail hunter is supposed to know where the other members of his hunting party are at all times, and you don't take the shot unless you know you aren't shooting at a member of your party. That's a general statement, of course, and I don't know all the details of the accident (so maybe there's some facts I'm not aware of that would change my thinking), but I'd put the blame more on Cheney than the other guy.

I agree Cheney is more at fault. But this type of mistake is more common than you might think. People love to talk about knowing your target, and I agree, but shooting at fast moving winged objects doesn't always give you the opportunity to see something moving into the line of fire that really isn't supposed to be there. My advice - stick with the hunting party and keep your head low.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 06:41 pm
Good advice. I also understand the victim might have left the party, then came back with out letting everyone know. Bad move, if that's what happened.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 06:52 pm
I would say thet both men are at fault, but Cheney's is the greater error, because, as the shooter, it was up to him to know what he was shooting at before he pulled the trigger.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 06:53 pm
I really, really have a feeling that this story is going to get a lot, lot worse for Cheney before it gets better. There seem to be some inconsistencies with the event, or in the way that it was reported.

Only the second VP to shoot someone ever, mind you.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 07:02 pm
Wouldn't it be great if Ted Kennedy came out and criticized the way Cheney announced this accident?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:21 pm
Reasons why Cheney had his shooting accident

10. Sick and tired of Whittington's "Hey, I'm having a heart attack" jokes
9. Pushed over edge by Dixie Chicks and Streisand blasting on pick-up truck stereo
8. Ongoing dispute over whether it's acceptable to torture quail before shooting them
7. Thought he saw Scooter Libby on other side of tree line
6. Bombed out of his gourd on Wild Turkey and Lone Star Beer
5. Companion's ill-advised decision to wear Moveon.org sweatshirt
4. Was trying to impress Jodie Foster
3. Whittington's repeated ribbing that Bush is actually the "real president"
2. Targeting scope on rifle made by Halliburton

And the number one excuse given by Dick Cheney for almost blowing away hunting companion Harry Whittington...

1. Because he's a wartime vice president, damn it.

source: smirkingchimp.com
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 10:39 am
CHAPTER 130: GENERAL OFFENSES

Section
Offenses Against Public Health and Safety
130.01 Discharging firearms

OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY

§ 130.01 DISCHARGING FIREARMS.
(A) Definitions.

CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE. A person acts with criminal negligence, or is criminally negligent, with respect to circumstances surrounding his or her conduct or the result of his or her conduct when he or she ought to be aware of a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the circumstances exist or the result will occur. The risk must be of a nature and degree that the failure to perceive it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that an ordinary person would exercise under all the circumstances as viewed from the actor's standpoint.

RECKLESS. A person acts recklessly, or is reckless, with respect to circumstances surrounding his or her conduct or the result of his or her conduct when he or she is aware of but consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the circumstances exist or the result will occur. The risk must be of a nature and degree that its disregard constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that an ordinary person would exercise under all the circumstances as viewed from the actor's standpoint. http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:h5n31vK0WpMJ:www.mcgregor-texas.com/codeofordinances/titleXIII130.htm+criminal+recklessness+hunting+texas&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=11&ie=UTF-8
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:14 am
blueflame1 wrote:
CHAPTER 130: GENERAL OFFENSES

Section
Offenses Against Public Health and Safety
130.01 Discharging firearms

OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY

§ 130.01 DISCHARGING FIREARMS.
(A) Definitions.

CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE. A person acts with criminal negligence, or is criminally negligent, with respect to circumstances surrounding his or her conduct or the result of his or her conduct when he or she ought to be aware of a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the circumstances exist or the result will occur. The risk must be of a nature and degree that the failure to perceive it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that an ordinary person would exercise under all the circumstances as viewed from the actor's standpoint.

RECKLESS. A person acts recklessly, or is reckless, with respect to circumstances surrounding his or her conduct or the result of his or her conduct when he or she is aware of but consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the circumstances exist or the result will occur. The risk must be of a nature and degree that its disregard constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that an ordinary person would exercise under all the circumstances as viewed from the actor's standpoint. http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:h5n31vK0WpMJ:www.mcgregor-texas.com/codeofordinances/titleXIII130.htm+criminal+recklessness+hunting+texas&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=11&ie=UTF-8

Did this happen in the city limits of McGregor, Texas. If not, why are you citing McGregor City Ordinance Definitions to us?

In any event, subsection (B)(2) of § 130.01 of that Code states the "relevant" violation for Discharge of Firearms:

Quote:
(2) Subject to division (D)(7) and (E) of this section, it shall be unlawful for a person to discharge a shotgun within the city limits.

Again, I'm not sure they were within the city limits of McGregor, but in any case, subsection (D)(7) provides an exemption for hunting:

Quote:
(D) Exemptions from prosecution. It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section if the discharge was made:

(7) By a person discharging a shotgun with a valid Texas hunting license who is hunting fowl on a privately owned tract of land at least 20 acres in size, provided the discharge was made in a way that the discharged projectiles would not normally leave the property;

Obviously the projectiles didn't leave the property ... they mostly all hit Whittington's face, didn't they?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:20 am
Ticomaya, I'm simply implying that Cheney was negligent and reckless and should be treated like everybody else.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:24 am
blueflame1 wrote:
Ticomaya, I'm simply implying that Cheney was negligent and reckless and should be treated like everybody else.

I understand that was your implication, and that's why I was critical of your effort.

If you want to insinuate a crime, at least come with the correct statute and an argument. Legal definitions alone do not define a crime.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:28 am
http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/06.02.12.SittingDuck-X.gif
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:32 am
Help Cheney Shoot Quail:

http://www.campidiot.com/cgi-bin/bbs/index.cgi?num=1139924678

This was posted by NickFun on another thread.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:36 am
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 12:03 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Obviously the projectiles didn't leave the property ... they mostly all hit Whittington's face, didn't they?

Well, there is that, isn't there?
0 Replies