VP Cheney shoots man in Texas while hunting

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 12:08 pm
roger wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Obviously the projectiles didn't leave the property ... they mostly all hit Whittington's face, didn't they?

Well, there is that, isn't there?

In fact, it would have been more negligent -- according to the ordinances blueflame cited -- for him to have missed Whittington, and risk the pellets leaving the property.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 12:53 pm
Well well, our Tico's become an environmentalist! Will wonders never cease!

Of course I agree. Much better to have the pellets inside a Republican than littering up the countryside.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 01:47 pm
Grrrrrrr
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 01:49 pm
Environmentalist? <pshaw>

No, just looking at the red letter of blue flame's exemption is all.

Quote:
... provided the discharge was made in a way that the discharged projectiles would not normally leave the property;

After all, what's a little lead poisoning among friends?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:06 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

After all, what's a little lead poisoning among friends?

Lead poisoning may be the least of the poor guy's problems. The doctor now says that some of the shot is close to his heart. But the doc is optimistic...
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:09 pm
Quote:
Cheney friend has heart attack; birdshot moves to his heart
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:12 pm
They use iron shot now, leads been pretty much phased out .

Im trying to picture the csene. Theres this small band of hunters surrounded by at least 8 secret service dudes and a small fleet of emergency vehicles and Paramedics. Maybe Wittington just thought it was an accident so he could hand out his business cards and pick a client.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:20 pm
It does seem remarkable that it could have happened with so many others (non-hunters) around. Wasn't anyone paying attention to what the old fools were doing?

I wonder if we'll ever learn the true story. I'll bet every effort is being made to make sure we don't!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:35 pm
Ooh. I just read about the heart attack. Sounds like this is more serious than we've been told. I hope the guy pulls through.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 03:38 pm
I think lead shot is still okay, outside the migratory waterfowl flyways. The little darlin's think it's gravel and store it in their craws.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 05:40 am
http://cagle.com/news/CheneyShoots/images/siers.gif
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 05:48 am
shooting a guy is like blowing a guy... you can save the world, cure cancer, but do either of the other things JUST ONCE and what will you be remembered for? Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:54 am
says seamus...

do ya know i built the seawall? ay, stone by stone, with nothing but my hands, leg, and back, i built up that seawall so that our town wouldn't be taken by the waves. but do they call me seamus the wall builder? oh, no!

and i planted all of the apple trees on the road into town. i dug, i sowed the seeds, i took care of the young saplings as they pushed up out of the ground, and now anybody who cares to can go out to the main road in the autumn and pick a bushel of apples. but does anyone call be seamus the planter? oh, no, they don't!

but shag ONE SHEEP....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:14 am
There are quite a few versions of that joke dog. I recall one from my childhood about Pierre , who built (now ya gotta suspend all knowledge of history cuz its a joke )
I Pierre have built ze Eiffel Tower?
ehheeeheeeannh ( sounding like a Snotty frenchman like phrase)

Do you see people going around saying 'Zere Ees Pierre ze Builder of ze Eiffel Tower" ?

but just suck on one leettle c**k.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:36 am
so anyway farmerdude, I'm curious about this. It's been reported Cheney was hunting with a 28 guage using #9 shot, the victim was 30 yards away. A pellet punctured his chest and penetrated his heart. Does this make sense?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:49 am
I did not know that 9 shot had that kind of penetrating power at that distance. Was he using a magnum load? do they even have magnum loads for that size shot.
As a kid I used to go quail and dove hunting with my dad and I used a 20 guage with 9 shot, mostly so it wouldnt blow the **** out of your bird.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 08:15 am
The news reports seemed to imply the shot pellet migrated to his heart area and caused the inflammation. The pellets didn't penetrate the heart but concern they could continue to migrate.

No reference to how far the shot went in, but they are talking about they won't be doing surgery to get it all out. As long as it stops moving they will leave it where it is. Supposedly the body will wall it off, (scar tissue?) so it won't move.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 08:30 am
It still had to penetrate beneath the rib cage and get into the omentum so most of the penetration was getting through the cartilege and into the chest cavity itself..

Did Cheney get the bird? the reason I ask is that if the bird and Wittington did appear together at the birds cover, it would help substantiate the claim that Wittington should have announced himself, especially if he was walking toward the hunt direction.
If this was a swing of Cheneys barrel and he fired into the bird and Wittington, its a clear fault of Cheney for not being alert to his field of fire at all times.

Cheney did have the right to expect that, in the direction of the hunt, and at the point where the birds were released was safe, especially with all the Secret Service and EMT's around. Im sure all the Secret Service guys were behind Cheney . If Wittington came into the hunt at its direction and then came over a rise, hes got some blame, but still, Cheneys holding most of the responsibility and should lose his hunting privileges for 3 years . If the guy dies, they should take Cheneys privileges away for good.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 09:54 am
dyslexia wrote:
so anyway farmerdude, I'm curious about this. It's been reported Cheney was hunting with a 28 guage using #9 shot, the victim was 30 yards away. A pellet punctured his chest and penetrated his heart. Does this make sense?

What choke was he using?

Here's a pattern intensity guide:

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/5870/chokegraph3mo.gif
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 10:55 am
is that chart in feet or yards?
0 Replies