VP Cheney shoots man in Texas while hunting

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 02:55 pm
No joke. A guy named Harry Wittington, during a quail hunting trip. Just heard it on MSNBC.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,863 • Replies: 148
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 02:57 pm
Yup, it is on CNN frontpage right now as well.

A 'hunting accident.' Haven't I seen this movie before?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 02:59 pm
Wonder if it was former Ambassador Wilson?
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:00 pm
This is good for my comedic and political views, but bad for my gun owning views.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:00 pm
The Portrait of Dorian Gray...is that the correct tile.

Yah...killed a guy on porpoise.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:01 pm
What a Dick....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:01 pm
CNN says he's a 78-year old lawyer from Austin, and that's he's doing fine. Got sprayed with some birdshot.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:05 pm
seriously, what an ass hole. Next in line to have his hand on the football and this guy can't even go bird hunting without shooting someone. Jeezum Christ.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:36 pm
I am so glad this thread is here, or I would've had to start it myself. Where is cjhsa when we really need him? I'm dying to see his take on this mishap...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:42 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I am so glad this thread is here, or I would've had to start it myself. Where is cjhsa when we really need him? I'm dying to see his take on this mishap...[/quote

guns don't shoot people...doddering old men shoot people....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:43 pm
only really greedy hunters shoot quail at the height where you could hit someone and why anyone would shoot a quail anyway. Theres a restaurant down on the bay that serves a split quail stuffed with venison sausage and covered with a berry glaze,(actually tastes like meat with pancake syrup over it) But the damn quail is so pitifully small. and theyre probably farm raised.

Oh yeh, the guy was a lwayer so that counts as a game animal doesnt it?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:43 pm
talk72000 wrote:
Wonder if it was former Ambassador Wilson?

Laughing

<Happy to hear the patient is ok and will recover>
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:44 pm
I came here to start this thread. Good show. It beats Ford hitting folks' heads with golf balls.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:55 pm
Why?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 04:09 pm
Golf balls rarely kill.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 04:33 pm
Chickenhawks cant shoot straight.
0 Replies

RichNDanaPoint

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 07:52 pm
What an idiot, I guess he did not remember any of his firearm safety training from his military service.

WHOOPS!!! I just remembered.....he had no military service.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 07:55 pm
Maybe suggested a change in policy?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 08:18 pm
The shooting was first reported by the Corpus Christi Caller-Times. The vice president's office did not disclose the accident until nearly 24 hours after it happened.

Armstrong said she was watching from a car while Cheney, Whittington and another hunter got out of the vehicle to shoot at a covey of quail.

Whittington shot a bird and went to look for it in the tall grass, while Cheney and the third hunter walked to another spot and discovered a second covey.

Whittington "came up from behind the vice president and the other hunter and didn't signal them or indicate to them or announce himself," Armstrong said.

"The vice president didn't see him," she continued. "The covey flushed and the vice president picked out a bird and was following it and shot. And by god, Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good."

Whittington has been a private practice attorney in Austin since 1950 and has long been active in Texas Republican politics. He's been appointed to several state boards, including when then-Gov. George W. Bush named him to the Texas Funeral Service Commission.

Whittington owns property in Travis County worth at least $11 million, the Austin American-Statesman reported last year, not counting a downtown block at the center of a long-running dispute with the city over a condemnation issue.

Armstrong, owner of the Armstrong Ranch where the accident occurred, said Whittington was bleeding and Cheney was very apologetic.

"It broke the skin," she said of the shotgun pellets. "It knocked him silly. But he was fine. He was talking. His eyes were open. It didn't get in his eyes or anything like that."

"Fortunately, the vice president has got a lot of medical people around him and so they were right there and probably more cautious than we would have been," she said. "The vice president has got an ambulance on call, so the ambulance came."

Cheney is an avid hunter who makes annual hunting trips to South Dakota to hunt pheasants. He also travels frequently to Arkansas to hunt ducks.

Armstrong said Cheney is a longtime friend who comes to the ranch to hunt about once a year and is "a very safe sportsman." She said Whittington is a regular, too, but she thought it was the first time the two men hunted together.

"This is something that happens from time to time. You now, I've been peppered pretty well myself," said Armstrong.

___
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 09:58 pm
Hey,

Maybe this will work to take the public's mind off the spying on Americans.
0 Replies